Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hi from Freeport NY

J

Jonnycxlr

Hi all just bought a 2006 with 25,000 miles. All works well but I am terrified that it will break and I will be in over my head. I feel like I should bail. Any calming words?

Are you mechanically handy?
I purchased shop manuals and haven’t had any problems that couldn’t be solved between forum threads and the manuals. Mostly keep up the maintenance and corrosion proof electrical connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhat handy, explain about the electrical connections and thanks for replying !

You may want to consider purchasing a good aftermarket Extended Warrantee...Repairs can be very costly...These vehicles can be somewhat quirky electrically......Good battery..make sure drain hole in trunk is open and not blocked....
Welcome to the best place to be for the XLR enthusiast..Good people...lots of knowledge ..

Last edited:
Just drive your X! I have owned mine for 8 years and drive it weather permitting and don't hesitate to take it on long trips: have driven it back and forth to Florida from Canada a couple of times and it is problem free. Yes, I am very particular on how it is maintained - but I am with all my vehicles. Congratulation on your purchase and 'live to drive'!

Welcome to the XLR WORLD and forum! When we bought my 05 it had twice the mileage+ of yours, in 2011 at 53k she now has 103k miles. Biggest thing is to keep up maintenance. Note you will want to purchase a battery tender, for more then 2 weeks down time, as these cars run computers and such while being stowed away! Battery dies it can cause other problems! Here’s a thought check into a aftermarket warranty that helps cover some of the expenses.....Heck don’t be scared,.. just drive it and enjoy... topless of course!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Just have fun with your new toy

Somewhat handy, explain about the electrical connections and thanks for replying !

I use dielectric on all connections. When purchased in 2015 the door switches didn’t work correctly, rather than buy new ones I disassembled them cleaned all the corrosion, applied dielectric paste and reassembled. They have worked perfectly since. While troubleshooting I gathered information on the forum that led me to drill the weep hole, clean and coat all the connections of the harness.
There is a wealth of knowledge here that enables us to keep our beloved orphans on the road.
d4652e9c4f623ede3ff610ff6b5bfd7f.jpg

Welcome! Drive it and enjoy it.. Be sure to use this site on a regular basis to help you plan your service schedules and troubleshoot minor issues!

I also recommend that you get used of telling your dealer" Let me check into it" quotes for things like shocks at 4000$ or top repairs at 3000$ can really be a fright . However there are many options to do almost all of the repairs the car needs. Some much cheaper than a dealer. Find out who your local Corvette guys get to do the work they do nto do themselves. A indy shop can usually do most of the repairs and unless you happen to have a dealer with a left over tech who worked on them originally their techs know no more than anyone else with a scanner and a repair manual.

Welcome to the forum. I echo Graytoad’s comments, just drive it. If you do the typical mechanical maintenance, the non-typical stuff you can search for on here. I agree with finding a good Corvette shop to work on your baby. If it has to deal with the folding top, do your research here. If you do take it to a Cadillac dealer, find out if they have a “certified” XLR tech on staff. If they respond ‘ all of our techs are certified’ exit left, quickly. There was a 3 week course they were required to take thru GM. Ask if anyone else on the forum is local and find out who they use. I have owned mine for 6 years and have yet to take it to a Cadillac dealer. I do have a shop that the owner knows GM cars inside and out. Good luck with your baby and drive it! Nothing like top down driving on an 80 degree sunny day.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back