Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hood Struts, 2005

johnpbaird

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Silver
Welll,....my Hood Struts have seen their day and are failing to hold-up the hood.
Anyone have the "best deal" for a new set?
Tried 'E-Bay',.... and there are N-O-N-E ! :)

Welll,....my Hood Struts have seen their day and are failing to hold-up the hood.
Anyone have the "best deal" for a new set?
Tried 'E-Bay',.... and there are N-O-N-E ! :)

PepBoys

.......about $60 for the pair, with a lifetime guarantee !!

If you don't have them already, Amazon has them $44 plus $9.49 shipping

bought o'reilly's

The first one took a little longer then it should have to install. I took the locking clip completely off the end of the shock and tried re attaching it when the shock was lined up. Tricky to get back on. The second one was a breeze, don't remove the locking fixture , just fold it back enough to wiggle into place when set, and bingo, it all snaps down nicely. Took 4 minutes to attach the 2nd one. Yep, about $60.

SG130099 Hood Struts

The first one took a little longer then it should have to install. I took the locking clip completely off the end of the shock and tried re attaching it when the shock was lined up. Tricky to get back on. The second one was a breeze, don't remove the locking fixture , just fold it back enough to wiggle into place when set, and bingo, it all snaps down nicely. Took 4 minutes to attach the 2nd one. Yep, about $60.

RockAuto has them for less than $23.00

Thanks for the information

I needed a pair of hood lift supports (struts) for my 2006 XLR-V and saw this thread. This forum has a wealth of information on it and I'm just learning my way around it. I just ordered a pair of the SG130099 hood lift supports from Rock Auto. Cost $56.81 incl. S&H. Thanks again for the heads up.

Struts Failed

I needed a pair of hood lift supports (struts) for my 2006 XLR-V and saw this thread. This forum has a wealth of information on it and I'm just learning my way around it. I just ordered a pair of the SG130099 hood lift supports from Rock Auto. Cost $56.81 incl. S&H. Thanks again for the heads up.

Well, my 8-year old struts bit the dust. Thanks to you all for doing the hard work, and identifying the part number, and the sources to get a replacement set. Rock Auto is shipping them to me for $54.45, and now I even know how a "trick" to installing them easier.

Thanks, folks!!! :thumbsup

Tim

Can i please ask some advice, i have just purchased new struts for the hood on my XLR but i never noticed which way up they were, the guy who built them for me ( parts are very expensive to ship to NZ ) said they have to be the correct way up so the oil runs down and keeps the seal moist or they will fail again soon, I never took notice when i removed them so any help would be appreciated

Here's the first picture I could find from my rebuild thread.

DSC02940.jpg

Hope this helps.

Kevin

You could also purchase hood strut clamps. The most inexpensive item I found for my XLR V. I need not be concerned when working under my hood, ever.

http://www.shockclamp.com

There"s a 2 min video on the clamp being installed on an XLR.

it does not matter. Usually the base or thickest part is mounted to the no movable part. You can reverse them and not have a problem. MAny Asian cars have them what german would call backwards. The 99cent metal with rubber pinch clamps at harbor freight work great. The better ones like those listed above have a long red plastic tail so you do not forget and bust your hood all to pieces when you go to close it with them attached. ANY clamps that use a metal thumb screw can damage the shaft and render your shocks useless. Its always a good idea to use them when the hood is up extended time or the trunk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom