Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hood wont stay up

The hood struts need to be changed. Search the forum there are threads regarding this.

Shock Clamp

Fortunately in this case, the solution to your issue is very inexpensive regarding XLRs. Yours have just worn out over time. 2 remedies come to mind. Replacing both struts that should cost less than $50 or in my case, I purchased a shock clamp. These can be found on this site, shockclamp.com for two good reasons. Firstly the clamp can be stored on the strut itself with the hood closed and more importantly, you never need be concerned on the hood closing unexpectantly on your HEAD. Causing more expense in owning a XLR ;). Both of my struts are good, the clamp works as a battery tender in keeping the hood struts operable. Check out their website, less than $10.00.

PS: On their site, they have a video demonstration on the use of their clamp. They used a XLR in solving your issue.

Last edited:
Good luck,,,,,

I'm having better luck with STABILUS hood struts over a longer period of time. Stay away from StrongArm or any brand made by Arvin-Meritor on the package - weak seal causes strut to fail faster.....you will replace more often, experience tells me.

:thumbsup This company is good for ordering from >> Sachs SG130099 Gas Charged Hood Lift Support | Cadillac

About $23 each,,,,EZ to install - do it yourself

Shock Clamp danger

Fortunately in this case, the solution to your issue is very inexpensive regarding XLRs. Yours have just worn out over time. 2 remedies come to mind. Replacing both struts that should cost less than $50 or in my case, I purchased a shock clamp. These can be found on this site, shockclamp.com for two good reasons. Firstly the clamp can be stored on the strut itself with the hood closed and more importantly, you never need be concerned on the hood closing unexpectantly on your HEAD. Causing more expense in owning a XLR ;). Both of my struts are good, the clamp works as a battery tender in keeping the hood struts operable. Check out their website, less than $10.00.

PS: On their site, they have a video demonstration on the use of their clamp. They used a XLR in solving your issue.

I would NEVER use a Shock Clamp. The set screw will damage the surface of the rod and tear out the seal. I cannot imagine any one even making this.
I split a length of the new plastic tubing used for plumbing houses on a table saw (1/8" blade), chamfered the ends a bit and slide it over the rod when the hood is up. It stows nicely in one of the holes on the inner fender behind the headlights. Colour choices are red or blue.
Not sure how that works as a battery tender???
jpg.gif
DSCF7780_LI.jpg (118.2 KB
jpg.gif

]

Attachments

• DSCF7780_LI.jpg
    DSCF7780_LI.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
I would NEVER use a Shock Clamp. The set screw will damage the surface of the rod and tear out the seal. I cannot imagine any one even making this.
I split a length of the new plastic tubing used for plumbing houses on a table saw (1/8" blade), chamfered the ends a bit and slide it over the rod when the hood is up. It stows nicely in one of the holes on the inner fender behind the headlights. Colour choices are red or blue.
Not sure how that works as a battery tender???

Been using the clamps over a year now and the struts are still good, going on 10 years. I'm more concerned in having the hood accidently close during one of my car shows. The cost for either the struts or clamps are miniscule in price. About the cheapest item on the XLR. Each their own. Happy XLR Motoring when you can. Battery tenders prolong the life of the battery and my shock clamps will prolong the life of my struts.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back