Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

how to change tail light bulbs 2005 xlr

sure did read the mall

Yep, read the mall and even called Gm . No law says you have to have a light on the dash in case of a bulb failure. Its a curtesy or convenience item. Most German cars have them . most Japan cars do not

Which SAE standards did you read?
Yep, read the mall and even called Gm . No law says you have to have a light on the dash in case of a bulb failure. Its a curtesy or convenience item. Most German cars have them . most Japan cars do not

point it out

show me a paragraph. line and date that says it is required by law to have a light on the dash tell you if a bulb is out and we can sue the heck out of a dozen manufactures. There is NO LAW that says that. SAE does not set rules for the automotive industry
NHTSA does . The FMVSS does not have any rules like you mention. If you want to believe its a law that is fine , just believe it. It does not matter to me and is not worth a hill of beans.

Federal Regulations are how the executive branch implements laws congress writes. Most auto standards are rules written after Laws are passed. Laws don't usually have enough technical information in them to spell out the exact rule, that's the job of the governing body (like the NHTSA) to do, which they do by a law giving them the power to make the rules. Which are legally binding.

If you had actually read the rules, you would see it references SAE documents all over the place. For instance.

S5.1.1.4Reflective material conforming to Federal Specification L-S-300, Sheeting and Tape, Reflective; Non-exposed Lens, Adhesive Backing, September 7, 1965, may be used for side reflex reflectors if this material as used on the vehicle, meets the performance standards in either Table I or Table IA of SAE Standard J594f, Reflex Reflectors, January 1977.

I never said a light has to illuminate and tell you a bulb is out. I said it must quick flash. BTW, the speed of turn signal flashing is also spelled out in an SAE standard I believe..

well

You have been trying to make a mute point for so long that I confused you with another question about the dash light. Again. I have seen some cars that flash fast when one bulb is out and seen some that flash the one bulb that works at the same speed. I don't give a rats ass about how fast they flash and if they don't. But I will look to see where there is a "law, regulation or anything that says they must flash a certain speed and if one is out they must flash faster. I am fully aware of laws that regulate brightness, lights on the side of the cars and even material that can be used. BUT the Ferrari 458 in my shop right now. 2017 model has a light on the dash but when one bulb is removed the other flashes at the same speed. someone had installed the wrong bulb In the turn signal and the computer would not flash it . It did flash the rear at the same speed as when the proper bulb was replaced. SO better get that law in order and call Ferrari and have them removed from the road as they will flash one bulb correctly if the other is out

The original poster wanted to know how to change light bulbs in a taillight .Many people tried to help them with that problem. I do not have time to waste on arguing some point that does not amount to anything to me or to most readers. They are not manufacturing cars and do not want to or even care about how they are made. They just want parts to keep them going. So That said I have joined a group with my newly bought vintage Maserati Mexico. That group works together to solve parts problems. I will be spending my time and resources helping them' SO "so long xlr "

Last edited:
You have been trying to make a mute point for so long that I confused you with another question about the dash light. "

You were the one that started the crap about a warning light on the dash if a bulb was out. Now you're twisting it around.
So long, mickeytee. Have fun

wow so you can actually type something besides "search is your friend" to every post. I will miss your intelligent answers Rockstar.

"I will be spending my time and resources helping them' SO "so long xlr "

This is the most welcome quote I've had the pleasure to view in eleven years on this forum. MT trolled this forum from the beginning and pretty much drove me away with his incessant BS; --and that was with him at the top of my ignore list! (His inflammatory quotes would appear in other's message.) Glad to see others are helping each other more and more without ulterior motives (making money from other's misfortune.)

CCC

Crowd Clapping GIF.jpg

Last edited:
paragraph. line and date

show me a paragraph. line and date that says it is required by law to have a light on the dash tell you if a bulb is out and we can sue the heck out of a dozen manufactures. There is NO LAW that says that. SAE does not set rules for the automotive industry
NHTSA does . The FMVSS does not have any rules like you mention. If you want to believe its a law that is fine , just believe it. It does not matter to me and is not worth a hill of beans.

FMVSS-108 section 9.3 specifically defines this:

e-CFR data is current as of December 20, 2018

<tbody>
</tbody>
Title 49Subtitle BChapter VPart 571Subpart B → §571.108

<tbody>
</tbody>

Title 49: Transportation
PART 571—FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS
Subpart B—Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

§571.108 Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S9.3 Turn signal pilot indicator.
S9.3.1 Each vehicle equipped with a turn signal operating unit where any turn signal lamp is not visible to the driver must also have an illuminated pilot indicator to provide a clear and unmistakable indication that the turn signal system is activated.
S9.3.2 The indicator must consist of one or more lights flashing at the same frequency as the turn signal lamps.
S9.3.3 The indicator must function satisfactorily under all test conditions imposed on the turn signal flasher in S14.9.
S9.3.4 Indicator size and color.
S9.3.4.1 If the indicator is located inside the vehicle it must emit a green colored light and have a minimum area equivalent to a 3⁄16 in diameter circle.
S9.3.4.2 If the indicator is located outside of the vehicle it must emit a yellow light and have a minimum projected illuminated area of 0.1 sq in.
S9.3.5 The minimum required illuminated area of the indicator must be visible to any tangent on the 95th eyellipse as defined in SAE Recommended Practice J941b (1969) (incorporated by reference, see §571.5), with the steering wheel turned to a straight ahead driving position and in the design location for an adjustable wheel or column.

S9.3.6 Turn signal lamp failure. Failure of one or more turn signal lamps such that the minimum photometric performance specified in Tables VI or VII is not being met must be indicated by the turn signal pilot indicator by a “steady on”, “steady off”, or by a significant change in the flashing rate, except when a variable-load turn signal flasher is used on a multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus 2032 mm or more in overall width, on a truck that is capable of accommodating a slide in camper, or on any vehicle equipped to tow trailers.

<tbody>
</tbody>

"I will be spending my time and resources helping them' SO "so long xlr "

This is the most welcome quote I've had the pleasure to view in eleven years on this forum. MT trolled this forum from the beginning and pretty much drove me away with his incessant BS; --and that was with him at the top of my ignore list! (His inflammatory quotes would appear in other's message.) Glad to see others are helping each other more and more without ulterior motives (making money from other's misfortune.)

CCC

CC, good to see you back. I’ve often said if I could create a downloaded collection of your info posts, I’d be miles ahead in addressing most XLR problems. Always appreciative of the time you take to work through laying things out step by step for others.

Is there a thread showing how to remove the tail light assembly so i can send off to have it rebuilt?

remove the rubber gasket that is attached with two sided tape to the inner area. Remove the two round plastic screw covers located under the trunk area. there are two bolts behind them. the pry out with a sharp tool inserted . The next part is a problem. the light is held on with two snap In retainers. I usually pull backwards on the lights and then do a hand slap to the sides. This is the part were you can break the outer lens on top as it is fragile. depending on your year model if you look down on the top of the light and see any cracking at all the outer lens will most likely break upon repair. Which side are you taking off. I will send you a photo of the backside so you can see the snap in locator pins. I have found if you flood the area behind the light with soapy water so as to wet the snaps it helps a lot and of course when you go back together a light amount of petroleum jelly makes is so much easier to remove the next time. Be aware of some rebuilders in California who offer on ebay "kits". they only replace the lights that are out and you will have others going out shortly. Get a written statement as to what they do and the warranty. Hopefully you pay a little more to the guy who has been doing them correctly for many years that people use on here. Vetttronics

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom