Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hydraulic system oil change

Bill S.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior
Top Hydraulic system oil change

Hey

I found a local listing for two "new" containers of GM hydraulic system fluid for the XLR. top hydraulics system. It's in the proper container, guaranteed new. The guy said he sold the XLR he had and does not need it. Cheap enough. Less than half price. He added that XLR owners should change the hydraulic fluid for the top frequently. I never heard about that nor did he mention the frequency.

Is this true ???

Sounds like the schedule recommended along the lines of he Allante brake fluid system, that it be be flushed from the primary braking circuit at least bi annually, if not a bit more frequently . I owned an Allante, a '91 and did change the fluid out frequently on a yearly or two year schedule . It was definitely a required task; a necessary task with the Allante . Just wondering about the XLR and the top hydraulic fluid system

I understand there are significant differences between the two systems and what the fluids are subjected to. Just wonder if there actually is a recommended swap out schedule for the fluid of the XLR hydraulic top pump and circuit.

Bill

Last edited:
Top Hydraulic system oil change

Hey

I found a local listing for two "new" containers of GM hydraulic system fluid for the XLR. top hydraulics system. It's in the proper container, guaranteed new. The guy said he sold the XLR he had and does not need it. Cheap enough. Less than half price. He added that XLR owners should change the hydraulic fluid for the top frequently. I never heard about that nor did he mention the frequency.

Is this true ???

Sounds like the schedule recommended along the lines of he Allante brake fluid system, that it be be flushed from the primary braking circuit at least bi annually, if not a bit more frequently . I owned an Allante, a '91 and did change the fluid out frequently on a yearly or two year schedule . It was definitely a required task; a necessary task with the Allante . Just wondering about the XLR and the top hydraulic fluid system

I understand there are significant differences between the two systems and what the fluids are subjected to. Just wonder if there actually is a recommended swap out schedule for the fluid of the XLR hydraulic top pump and circuit.

Bill
Following

I wasn't aware of a particular schedule, but anything's possible. As hydraulic cylinders extend and collapse, any debris that might get on the exposed rod has to be wiped off by the seals or it ends up in the fluid. Also, the fluid could have some water in it just from condensation. It won't hurt to change it out.

I'd get a turkey baster with a tube on it and extract the majority of the fluid out and top it back up with new stuff, operate the top a couple of times and repeat. That'd probably be the least messy and easiest way that I can think of off hand.

John B.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back