Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Inexpensive Nav switch and Aux audio jack installation

rleonard

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
06 Infra Red XLR-V Midwest Marauder; Chief Machinist
For less than $20 and a couple of hours over the weekend, I have installed an auxiliary audio input jack and a switch to disable the speed sensor for the audio system. The speed sensor disable allows inputs to the navigation system when you are moving. The audio input "replaces" the XM audio feed into the sound system. I use a Motorola Droid cell phone and it works great. Incoming calls are routed through the car's speakers and the microphone picks up my voice nicely.

Here is a link to a slide show with pictures. Not exactly in order but you will get the idea.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/...k and Nav Switch Install/?albumview=slideshow

Bob

For less than $20 and a couple of hours over the weekend, I have installed an auxiliary audio input jack and a switch to disable the speed sensor for the audio system. The speed sensor disable allows inputs to the navigation system when you are moving. The audio input "replaces" the XM audio feed into the sound system. I use a Motorola Droid cell phone and it works great. Incoming calls are routed through the car's speakers and the microphone picks up my voice nicely.

Here is a link to a slide show with pictures. Not exactly in order but you will get the idea.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/...k and Nav Switch Install/?albumview=slideshow

Bob
Thanks, this is great and very helpful! Any idea how to get video into the GPS, while I have the dash apart?

Our older Generation 2 units were cutting edge, back in the early 2000's. Somewhat dated now. You will have to discuss that with one of the other experts here. Gizmo? Maybe one of the lockpick units?

IIRC the units we have will play a DVD as long as you are not moving. I have not tried to see if that works with the nav switch yet.

Bob

Thanks rleonard, I pulled the Nav, cut the wire, everything worked great per your instructions. The GPS really does not seem to know the car is moving as it appears you have access to everything when the new switch is open.
I did have one of my kids attempt to play a DVD while driving, with the Nav Dest switch open and interestingly the screen Tilt Button, gives a message saying 'operation is not available while vehicle is moving'.
Pulled over, inserted a DVD, started playing it, and as soon as I switched out of park, a screen popped up saying 'video is not available while vehicle is in motion', or something like that. Apparently both the DVD tilt function and the Video play function are disabled by the transmission being out of park.
Is there possibly another Trans sensor wire into the Nav that needs to be switched open or closed?
Thanks for researching and posting this!

Our older Generation 2 units were cutting edge, back in the early 2000's. Somewhat dated now.
Bob

I've never thought the XLR had a cutting edge infotainment system. My 2004 CTS-V has an entertainment system that blows it away -as far as ease of use, and functionalty. It drops dots on the nav screen as you go, so you can backtrack if necessary. The audio system has a five-band equalizer with three favorite sound setting presets. The radio bands (including XM) display the artist/song automatically, and the station preset buttons are more configurable. It also uses the 1791 code to play DVDs for the passenger while driving. Best of all, I don't have to touch the screen. The CTS-V's only shortcoming is no entertainment system controls on the steering wheel, which I really like.

GM definately could have done a better job for the XLR's infotainment system -even if just by looking within their Cadillac division! :( It's the only major fail for such a wonderful car.

CC :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back