Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Insult!

batgirl1

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black xlr
:pat:I just hate it when people come up to me and tell me that after this, I should get a vette! Excuse me! I've had 4 vettes, a mercedes clk 500, and an slk 350. The XLR is the best by far. And, I'm not downgrading, people!

A clear choice for me!

There is a small church very near my home that has an annual open car show to help raise funds for their "Christmas Child" program. I usually take one of my classic American cars to the show, but this year I decided to take my XLR. I knew that a lot of people had never seen one close up, and some had never seen one at all.

I got a lot of nice comments and polite questions, as expected. There was a very nice fellow parked next to me with a 1982 C3 Corvette. It was very nice as well. He commented to me that he would rather have the XLR than the Corvette.

Several people asked me about the XLR vs Corvette issue. I told them that the XLR was a Corvette for an old guy like me! The other comment I usually make is than an XLR is 95% of the performance and 150% of the luxury of a Corvette!

I like Corvettes as well, and owned a 1979 L-82 when it was new, but for me now, the XLR was the clear choice.

I have a Corvette 2003 and I have a XLR. I really do not believe you can compare the two cars. First of all the XLR made its debut in 2004 and it abruptly ended in 2009. This is around 6 years. The Corvette made its debut in 1953 and continues some 57 years later. This in itself is quite an accomplishment.

There are die hard Corvette owners that are not happy about GM putting Corvette engines in other cars. I would mark this up as "pride of ownership" GM on the other hand is in the automotive market to sell cars and anything that reflects corvette sales same as other advertisement sex sales and fortunately the Corvette is one sexy, fast, awsome, fantastic, unbelieveable sports car.:willy_nilly: There is no other American car currently made that can hold a light to the CORVETTE.:rocker:

Speedway:cool:

So true, it's great to be able to love the car you drive. And, it's great that there are so many out there from which to chose. I am in a car club that is open to all cars and we all share the common love for our cars. Of course, I live in a small town, so no one is familiar with an XLR. I've been waiting to get my hands on one for years and you just have to keep a sense of humor about it. When asked why I got rid of the corvette, I just tell them that I decided to upgrade to something with more luxury. The little kids I teach love it. They just think it's the bat mobile.

As I'm sure all of us XLR owners know, the XLR came about as a result of the Evoq design car. The XLR was the beginning for a whole new school of design at Cadillac. They did an excellent job of translating the Evoq into the XLR.

I consider the XLR to be a huge success. Unfortunately, when you have a car that lists for $75,000 - $80,000 and then adds a V-model that tops $100,000, you're playing to a very limited market!

The Corvette almost died after the first year, 1953!. But Chevrolet soldiered on and turned the little 6-cyclinder roadster into a real American icon just a few years later. Corvette certainly suffered it's own share of indignity with cars that had only 185 hp! But again, time marches on and Corvette retook it's rightful position as "King of the Hill"!

I wanted a ZR-1 for a long time. Produced from 1990 to 1995, they were certainly very desirable cars that I felt would always be icons of the automobile world. But the introduction of the ZO6 at 505 hp and then the "new" ZR-1 has rendered the 1990-1995 models far less desirable than they once were.

I hope there is ALWAYS a Corvette and that it stays true to it's design to be the premier American sportscar. I don't really know how much of the decision to cease production of the XLR was due to low-volume of sales and how much was due to the transition of GM into Government Motors.

But one thing that is interesting to me is that it appears that there will be no "redesigned" XLR to make the 2004-2009 models look dated. Unless GM changes their mind and produces a new version of the XLR in the years to come, the XLR as we know it will stay "cutting-edge" design for some time to come, and IMHO, continue to be quite an eye-catcher for years!

I don't disagree. I have loved all of my vettes. I wish I could have kept them all! I will, one day get an older one...for fun. I'd love an early eighties. They do have staying power and an amazing history. I rode in my first one when I was 8 and worked 3 jobs during college to buy my first. There is nothing like the sound of a corvette, even with the factory exhaust! But I got addicted to the luxury when I bought the mercedes (but hated the car!) As an everyday driver, I was hooked on the XLR because it offered the best of both worlds. Fast with luxury and a smooth ride! ....But I do still love vettes, too!!!

I have loved Corvettes since I was very, very young. My dream was to someday have one. As I got older, my wife and I was able to find a nice '88 Cadillac Fleetwood FWD DeElegance. I fell in love with the whole luxury thing with Cadillac. While I didn't fit the Cadillac demographics, I loved the plushness of the Caddy. After getting my 3rd Cadillac, the XLR was introduced. It was a dream come true for me ... the best of BOTH worlds. As I held out for years and stumbled upon an XLR I could afford, I must say that it compares to no other car I've owned or even seen. Being a car guy, I'm always looking to upgrade. No more. The only upgrade I will eventually do, will be to move into a new, XLR-V someday... Black of course. I totally agree with Madmac that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it is all a matter or mutual respect on how you talk to others. You must keep in mind that most people buy a car because they really like it - why rain on their parade. I think the ignorant 'vette owners are probably just more JEALOUS than anything else. There are different reasons for buying an XLR vs a Corvette, IMO.
I spent Father's Day at a Car Show with the local Corvette Club and I was pleasantly pleased on how many compliments I had on my car from the local club members... my 1st Place trophy shows that. :)
... and besides, having an XLR led me to this AWESOME group of people that I now call my friends! You all are wonderful! :rocker:

I have owned 23 Corvettes since 1976 and fell in love with the XLR when it came out in 2004. I was in the right place at the right time and made a great deal trading my 2004 Vette on a 2004 XLR.

Like others who have owned both cars the XLR is a more refined Corvette. I will upgarde my XLR in a couple of years to a newer one. Like Batgirl I too live in a small town there are only 3 other XLR's in my area. I get a lot of people asking me what the car is, how much does it cost, and how do I like it.

I had owned a 1987 Allante in 1992 and did get the attention that the XLR does.

Very well stated, XLR ED! It is a more refined XLR! My father was one of the best Cadillac mechanics around, and he used to drive home an occasional Allante. I could gaze for hours at the digital dash! I'd love to have one, now. They are still very eye-catching today. Needless to say, my dad was thrilled when I traded the mercedes for an XLR! And, when I went the Chevrolet dealership last week (they used to have Cadillac) the parts man asked me what I was driving. No wonder I couldn't find the part I wanted!

Insult

In my 70+ years I have driven everything from a 1939 Pontaic, 1952 Hudson,
1938 Jaguar, Have owned 9 Cadillacs, had 2 Corvettes, Mercedes and so on.
But other than my 1957 Ford which was our first car when we got married. the 2006 XLR is my favorite. We love driving it around Virginia. I run a car club with 150 members and we have over 21 vettes and all those guys love the XLR. So don't get insulted, just remember we know we have a special car.
John :)

I had my grandaughter last week. I would pick her up at camp after work every day. Every day on the way home someone would blow their horn or stop us and comment what a cool car it was. She was amazed how many peop[le commented on it. By the end of the week I think she was in love with it as much as I was.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom