Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Interior Color Question: Shale / Cashmere

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
I've seen some window stickers that show Shale or Ebony-Shale and Cashmere or Cashmere-Ebony

Were these separate interior color options or was Shale and Ebony Shale one in the same....and Cashmere and Cashmere-Ebony one in the same?

Hi
My guess would be the interior seats and other parts would be two tone in color

Rob,

Not sure on model years, but the '04 XLR I owned had shale interior. The dash and upper door and back tonneau were a darker tan. I believe models with ebony were ebony everywhere. I think in '06 all models had an ebony dash, door tops and tonneau; regardless of the rest of the interior; therefore those models may indicate i.e. Ebony/Cashmere or Ebony/Shale. Hope this helps your research.

2009 was the only year two-tone seats and door panels were offered, so anything prior to that would go back to my explaination above.

Cadillac Tech may be able to tell you more about this.

I've seen some window stickers that show Shale or Ebony-Shale and Cashmere or Cashmere-Ebony

Were these separate interior color options or was Shale and Ebony Shale one in the same....and Cashmere and Cashmere-Ebony one in the same?

I have always found colour names and combinations confusing for our cars.

My 2007 has interior colour 312 which is called light cashmere in the VIN report from Comp Nine. As Cubby indicated, this model has black on the top of the dash, roll hoops and shelf behind. My car was originally a California car which was imported into Canada. When I bought it, I got a copy of the 2007 Canadian brochure. In that brochure, there are two interior colours besides Black (#19). They are Cashmere (#31) and Light Cashmere/Burl (#35). This last interior was only available on the Platinum edition if I have read the brochure correctly.

As a separate note, the Model Center information for the 2007 lists 19I as Shale, 31I as Black and 35I as Cashmere. I believe the table entries for 19I and 31I are reversed. Also, as noted above, the Canadian Brochure lists 31I as Cashmere not Shale. I do not have a copy of the US brochure to compare.

To make things worse, the Interior paint codes are WA167A for Black surfaces and WA830K for Tan surfaces (dash, etc.)

I hope this helps.

John

• Admin
I have always found colour names and combinations confusing for our cars.

My 2007 has interior colour 312 which is called light cashmere in the VIN report from Comp Nine. As Cubby indicated, this model has black on the top of the dash, roll hoops and shelf behind. My car was originally a California car which was imported into Canada. When I bought it, I got a copy of the 2007 Canadian brochure. In that brochure, there are two interior colours besides Black (#19). They are Cashmere (#31) and Light Cashmere/Burl (#35). This last interior was only available on the Platinum edition if I have read the brochure correctly.

As a separate note, the Model Center information for the 2007 lists 19I as Shale, 31I as Black and 35I as Cashmere. I believe the table entries for 19I and 31I are reversed. Also, as noted above, the Canadian Brochure lists 31I as Cashmere not Shale. I do not have a copy of the US brochure to compare.

To make things worse, the Interior paint codes are WA167A for Black surfaces and WA830K for Tan surfaces (dash, etc.)

I hope this helps.

John
Unfortunately, the production info listed in the Model Center came from the factory. I've noted a lot of inconsistencies in that data, but unfortunately, I don't have much to go on. My preference is to go by what appeared on the window stickers for the purposes of the Registry. The problem is that trying to acquire enough window stickers in order to build accurate data is extremely difficult.

From what I can tell, the records kept by GM on the XLR were nowhere near as clear and consistent as they are/have been for Corvette production. :(

Unfortunately, the production info listed in the Model Center came from the factory. I've noted a lot of inconsistencies in that data, but unfortunately, I don't have much to go on. My preference is to go by what appeared on the window stickers for the purposes of the Registry. The problem is that trying to acquire enough window stickers in order to build accurate data is extremely difficult.

From what I can tell, the records kept by GM on the XLR were nowhere near as clear and consistent as they are/have been for Corvette production. :(

Rob:

Thanks for the explanation.

I agree the Window Sticker would be the most reliable way to build an accurate registry. However, in this case I believe it is more of a typo error. The Production numbers for 2006, 2008 and 2009 all list 19I as "Ebony" and where "Cashmere" or "Shale" is indicated as a colour, it is 31I, except for 2006 where it is 18I. So for 2007 either the number is incorrect or the description is. Unfortunately, I can't think of a way of confirming which is which without a large number of Window Stickers.

Perhaps a note indicating the numbers may be reversed would help others who are looking at the data to see how rare their model is.

John

Rob:

Thanks for the explanation.

I agree the Window Sticker would be the most reliable way to build an accurate registry. However, in this case I believe it is more of a typo error. The Production numbers for 2006, 2008 and 2009 all list 19I as "Ebony" and where "Cashmere" or "Shale" is indicated as a colour, it is 31I, except for 2006 where it is 18I. So for 2007 either the number is incorrect or the description is. Unfortunately, I can't think of a way of confirming which is which without a large number of Window Stickers.

Perhaps a note indicating the numbers may be reversed would help others who are looking at the data to see how rare their model is.

John

I hate to raise the issue but I somewhat question the premise that window stickers are all accurate and consistent. It may be that all this confusion is a matter that characterizations and definitions are not consistent between all the factory records, window stickers, and the model center records. If this is true, getting it all ferreted out will be a real chore.

Steve

I don't know if this will help shed further light on this subject, but here goes. I have a 2007 XLR-V, Xenon Blue (color code 19U). I bought the vehicle from the U.S., used, and with the paperwork was what I believe to be a photocopy of the original factory-to-dealer invoice. Although it does not show a GM letterhead, I believe it to be a photocopy of the original invoice because it gives not only the "list" price (M.S.R.P.) but as well the price actually charged to the dealer. My car has the cashmere interior, with ebony (black) trim around the tops of the door panels, on the roll hoops, and on the fold/flip-up covers immediately behind the seats. This color is referred to as "Cashmere With Ebony Accents" on the invoice, and the color code is shown as 313. Incidentally, my understanding is that through 2006, the light color interior was called "Shale" which is a noticably "whiter" color than the light tan color cashmere.
Hope this helps.

• Admin
I don't know if this will help shed further light on this subject, but here goes. I have a 2007 XLR-V, Xenon Blue (color code 19U). I bought the vehicle from the U.S., used, and with the paperwork was what I believe to be a photocopy of the original factory-to-dealer invoice. Although it does not show a GM letterhead, I believe it to be a photocopy of the original invoice because it gives not only the "list" price (M.S.R.P.) but as well the price actually charged to the dealer. My car has the cashmere interior, with ebony (black) trim around the tops of the door panels, on the roll hoops, and on the fold/flip-up covers immediately behind the seats. This color is referred to as "Cashmere With Ebony Accents" on the invoice, and the color code is shown as 313. Incidentally, my understanding is that through 2006, the light color interior was called "Shale" which is a noticably "whiter" color than the light tan color cashmere.
Hope this helps.
Thanks. Is there anyway you could attach a photo of your window sticker here?

Thanks. Is there anyway you could attach a photo of your window sticker here?

I'm very sorry for the delay in this! As requested, this is a scan of the factory- to- dealer invoice for my vehicle. This has been a long time coming, but hopefully better late than never!

scan0003.jpg

I'm very sorry for the delay in this! As requested, this is a scan of the factory- to- dealer invoice for my vehicle. This has been a long time coming, but hopefully better late than never!

View attachment 3466
Awesome! Thanks! What serial number (last four digits) is your XLR-V?

Rob,

I think the biggest problem in this interior dissemination, is the fact that Cadillac changed colors of the shale over the model years(probably due to a vendor change??) and then added Cashmere to the equation. What they call shale in '04 is in fact a different shade in of shale in '06. (I've owned both) As mtrocket states he has a cashmere interior, yet in '07, they only offered a cashmere interior in the Liquid Ameythest (Golden Quartz) model. I doubt they made one special car.(sorry Rod) It all comes down to what the manufacturer happened to call the interior in each particular model year. Just my opinion!:)

Awesome! Thanks! What serial number (last four digits) is your XLR-V?

View attachment 3466

Looks like the dealer alone was making at least a $15k profit. I'm sure there's more to the profitability picture, but that's not too shabby! Guess the profits must have nose-dived by '09 (end of production).

I'm guessing the problems like "shale" meaning different things in different years is common in most other vehicle lines too. Just no one is probably trying to create a registry for those vehicles!

I doubt they made one special car.(sorry Rod) It all comes down to what the manufacturer happened to call the interior in each particular model year. Just my opinion!:)

I wouldn't have thought so either, but I've seen the Infrared/Shale combination and it IS quite a different interior color than mine - almost vanilla in color whereas mine has a light tan interior - closer to other XLR's that actually show 35I (cashmere) as the interior color. All I know is the tag in the trunk of my XLR says 31I, which is shale, but when I order parts from the dealer, they always tell me it's a 35I, Cashmere interior, which they determine from the VIN.

I wouldn't have thought so either, but I've seen the Infrared/Shale combination and it IS quite a different interior color than mine - almost vanilla in color whereas mine has a light tan interior - closer to other XLR's that actually show 35I (cashmere) as the interior color. All I know is the tag in the trunk of my XLR says 31I, which is shale, but when I order parts from the dealer, they always tell me it's a 35I, Cashmere interior, which they determine from the VIN.

That is really odd & a mess that the sticker in the car says one thing & the VIN says another. Bet you have a one of a kind on that!

Was it maybe made at the beginning or end of a production run?

That is really weird, but at least you have a pretty unique XLR!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom