Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

iphone for 2006 xlr

kennyno

My XLR/V(s)
2006 STAR BLACK XLR
I just purchased a star black 06 XLR and would like to use my i-phone 4 as
phone and music source. Confused read all different articles on what works best. Could anyone help. If it is possible I would like to install myself. Any advise will be appreciated. PS. If phone hook up is too much I would be satisfied with just music.

The lockpick is great for your music. That is all I use for music in the car. Sound is excellent and it is very easy to use once you get used to it. I wouldn't be without it. It works great with the Iphone 4 and has 2 inputs. One is the regular Iphone/Ipod plug That you control through the radio. The other is a 1/8th inch plug that plugs in the headphone jack so you can control music through the Iphone but the sound comes through the radio. I keep an old Ipod nano plugged into the Ipod plug so I don't have to plug the Iphone in every time I get in the car and I installed a Iphone dock in the little hole by the cig lighter in front of the cup holders, I hooked the 1/8th inch jack to that and wired in a charger so I can dock the Iphone and charge it there and play any new music I haven't put on the nano yet. The dock was a little more work but is really great. If you don't do the dock the Lockpick is a snap to install. 10 minutes tops. It just plugged into the wires for the XM behind the little door between the seats. I would never use XM but if you do you loose that because it uses the XM circuit on the radio. With an Iphone that is a no issue because I get Internet radio on it and play it through the radio. As for blue tooth for the phone, I have tried them all and none work well enough to bother with. I have spent hundreds if not thousands over the years on car kits and none were worth using, including some pretty high end kits. The Lockpick is worth every penny though. I would also highly recommend the wind restrictor if you don't have one yet. Enjoy.
100_0393.jpg

There are several threads related to this topic so rather than start a new one I will just add to the existing ones.

As far as music goes the lockpick is a pretty good application. At first glance it may seem somewhat disappointing considering how many features are offered for versions designed for other, or newer model Cadillacs. But if you are looking to add to the audio experience of your XLR without spending a fortune and preserving the factory appearance of the interior the lockpick is the way to go.

Cost is reasonable in my opinion and installation (if you have done a little homework ahead of time) is rediculously easy. eCoastaltech's website makes it appear as though there are two different versions depending on if your XLR currently has an XM module or not. This is misleading, the only difference is the settings has one switch in a different position. Weather your XLR has an XM module or not is irelevant because the wiring is already connected to your stereo and easilly accessable to attach the lockpick.

For those of you who will be going ahead and adding this to your XLR, my biggest advice is to not access the XM module from the trunk!!!! I have seen this many times in many different websites and forums but it is a complete waste of time. To get to it in this way, you must crawl halfway into the trunk, move the protective cover out of the way, and awkwardly reach past various supports and mechanisms for the roof and trunk lid.

Here is the 5-10min installation procedure...
Get a torx skrew driver, open your center console cubby between the seats. Remove 4 skrews and pull the console out. The wiring harness wrapped in black wire wrap is the XM wiring you are looking for. If you have XM it will obviously be connected, if you do not it will be just hanging there waiting for you to plug your lockpick into it. Now connect your lockpick to the XM wiring, and your music device to the lockpick with the wires provided by coastaltech. Installation at this point is basically complete! Depending on how you want to access the device you have some choices to make as far as where to run the wires. As you can see Monepit's is pretty a pretty cool custom job without a whole lot of difficulty. I decided to go with a little less effort so I drilled a small hole in my storage cubby and put the connections thru there. After my research online and some much appreciated advice from Monepit, it took me just over 15 minutes to complete this.

You can control the playback of songs on your ipod thru the XM mode of your stereo screen. It can do RW/FF, prev/next track, prev/next playlist, and it will display some song info on the screen as well if it is correctly tagged in your itunes. You can not search thru your library on the screen, but if you cue it up on your ipod before plugging it in it will resume when you turn your stereo on.

By utilizing the second input on the lockpick, you can use just about any audio device that has a headphone jack. I chose to use my iphone 4 like Monepit because I absolutly love Pandora internet radio. On the screen it will show up as GM AUX and you can only control playback on the device itself (as far as I have experiencded).
I even stream Netflix thru my phone and the audio plays on the Caddy's bose! Probably not to useful for action movies or stuff you have to see, but I watch a lot of documentries and comedians so I dont mind just listening and its probably a lot safer that I am not distracted by a beautiful actress or a cool car chase scene haha

I better bring this to a conclusion because I didn't intend this to be a long article. In a perfect world I would love to get a mini computer like an Alpine or Pioneer that is capable of integrating my phone bluetooth, ipod, and have a great display and user interface with navi and all that cool stuff. When I get my STS or Escalde I am sure I will explore those options. But in the XLR I just don't want to modify so much of the wiring and electronics to get it to function properly. Also for those head units you are looking at anywhere from $1000 - $2500 and instalation and various kits and harnesses. My lockpick was $129 and I installed it myself faster than I could smoke a Marlboro 100! I know have access to an infinite amount of music easily, and stealthily. All I need now is to make up my mind about this Bluestar Bluetooth kit and the multi-media aspect of my XLR will be complete.

Thanks again to Monepit for his help!
And anyone who would like more information about any of this feel free to message me I am happy to help!

Lock pic

The lockpick is great for your music. That is all I use for music in the car. Sound is excellent and it is very easy to use once you get used to it. I wouldn't be without it. It works great with the Iphone 4 and has 2 inputs. One is the regular Iphone/Ipod plug That you control through the radio. The other is a 1/8th inch plug that plugs in the headphone jack so you can control music through the Iphone but the sound comes through the radio. I keep an old Ipod nano plugged into the Ipod plug so I don't have to plug the Iphone in every time I get in the car and I installed a Iphone dock in the little hole by the cig lighter in front of the cup holders, I hooked the 1/8th inch jack to that and wired in a charger so I can dock the Iphone and charge it there and play any new music I haven't put on the nano yet. The dock was a little more work but is really great. If you don't do the dock the Lockpick is a snap to install. 10 minutes tops. It just plugged into the wires for the XM behind the little door between the seats. I would never use XM but if you do you loose that because it uses the XM circuit on the radio. With an Iphone that is a no issue because I get Internet radio on it and play it through the radio. As for blue tooth for the phone, I have tried them all and none work well enough to bother with. I have spent hundreds if not thousands over the years on car kits and none were worth using, including some pretty high end kits. The Lockpick is worth every penny though. I would also highly recommend the wind restrictor if you don't have one yet. Enjoy.
100_0393.jpg
How much does this cost? And should the dealer installs his or
best buy.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry