Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

IS A XLR A GOOD RELIABLE USED CAR 2007 98000KM

Simple fix Liz. Mine did that once and it was a loose intake manifold bolt. Have any mechanic take off the engine cover. Two turns and its fixed. My guy didn't charge me a dime. He did in three minutes.

This was the issue! Only ALL the bolts were loose! :willy_nilly:

Kevin said to tell you thanks for the suggestion on what to check! :thumbsup:willy_nilly:

:willy_nilly:

Belated 'welcome to The Xlr Site' : )

Welcome to the site. By the time I send this I think you probably have already 'pulled the trigger' on one. But with my 06', after going through the learning curve with it, I have not had any issues. The three that I did have in the past, before I knew better, were as follows:

1) If left sitting it is essential to have it hooked up to a battery tender as there is always some current flow/drain with all the electronics.
2) The fuel gauge will stick and cause a fault code as the indicator takes a dump to '0' even if the tank is full. Correction is to run a really good fuel injection/tank cleaner through it occasionally like BG44K, or The Chevron Tec Cleaner. It corrected mine.
3) The tunnel by the shifter gets really hot due to the exhaust located right under it on long drives and becomes annoying. Stella put me onto the supplier for the insulated replacement kit which escapes me at the moment. :( (A mind is a terrible thing to loose). I used their specs (1/4" aluminum plate with hard foil covered insulation) and made my own kit which worked great and eliminated the heat problem in the cabin. My cost? About $80.00.

Other than these, on the 06' I have had no issues except that I had to replace the timing cover gasket set when I first got it as it was leaking oil at the front cover (a real pain in the bu-- job that requires a special harmonic balancer puller be used, which I borrowed from an XLR Tec, and a special tool for disconnecting the trans cooler lines that I bought on eBay for $70.00). Why the factory cannot see fit to skim coat surfaces with RTV Sealer at assembly baffles me? Also did a complete trans flush and service with new filter.

From reading here I found that the 04's, and some 05's had issues with the headlights melting from the heat if not changed to those of an 06' to correct. And there can and have been trunk seal issues on some models that allow water to drain into the trunk an on the computer control there and mess things up. --- Hawkeye on the site has the repair schematics and knows all about this issue (expert). Although I haven't (yet) experienced this issue.

Since the gasket replacement, just the items above that I learned about on this site. :cool:

Again, Welcome.

Welcome to the site. By theowner'sI send this I think you probably have already 'pulled the trigger' on one. But with my 06', after going through the learning curve with it, I have not had any issues. The three that I did have in the past, before I knew better, were as follows:

1) If left sitting it is essential to have it hooked up to a battery tender as there is always some current flow/drain with all the electronics.
2) The fuel gauge will stick and cause a fault code as the indicator takes a dump to '0' even if the tank is full. Correction is to run a really good fuel injection/tank cleaner through it occasionally like BG44K, or The Chevron Tec Cleaner. It corrected mine.
3) The tunnel by the shifter gets really hot due to the exhaust located right under it on long drives and becomes annoying. Stella put me onto the supplier for the insulated replacement kit which escapes me at the moment. :( (A mind is a terrible thing to loose). I used their specs (1/4" aluminum plate with hard foil covered insulation) and made my own kit which worked great and eliminated the heat problem in the cabin. My cost? About $80.00.

Other than these, on the 06' I have had no issues except that I had to replace the timing cover gasket set when I first got it as it was leaking oil at the front cover (a real pain in the bu-- job that requires a special harmonic balancer puller be used, which I borrowed from an XLR Tec, and a special tool for disconnecting the trans cooler lines that I bought on eBay for $70.00). Why the factory cannot see fit to skim coat surfaces with RTV Sealer at assembly baffles me? Also did a complete trans flush and service with new filter.

From reading here I found that the 04's, and some 05's had issues with the headlights melting from the heat if not changed to those of an 06' to correct. And there can and have been trunk seal issues on some models that allow water to drain into the trunk an on the computer control there and mess things up. --- Hawkeye on the site has the repair schematics and knows all about this issue (expert). Although I haven't (yet) experienced this issue.

Since the gasket replacement, just the items above that I learned about on this site. :cool:

Again, Welcome.

Thanks for your post. I like hearing from owners who have only had somewhat minor issues.

Last edited:
Nice summary

Personal opinion based on having owned mine less than 3 months, but also having owned 40+ vehicles in the past (including an H2 I really enjoyed but my GF called it my school bus because it was big and bright yellow) I don't think it is any more or less reliable than any other higher dollar or performance vehicle. I had to rebuild the transmission in the H2, but that didn't make it a bad vehicle. I had an STS with the Northstar V8 that I drove like a mad man, and never had a single issue with it. I had a C4 corvette with all kinds of issues from day one and a C5 that never gave me anything but pleasure. Lot of people hate Jaguars, but I've never had a bad one. I've had 3 Porsche 928's and they are an electrical nightmare, and my last couple Mercedes with the air suspension couldn't decide on a day to day basis if it wanted to be a low-rider or just drop to it's knee on one corner.

Having said that, my XLR is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. I have had a MB SL500 (talk about problem prone and $$ to work on) a couple Jaguar XK's (quirky but classy), and recently picked up a Lexus SC430 (all direct competitors to the XLR) for my GF's birthday (to replace her aging Saab 9-3 Aero Turbo), and honestly while the SC430 is a beautiful, nice driving, luxury hard-top convertible, we take the XLR anytime we go anywhere whether just out to dinner or road-tripping. The XLR has much more soul, more fun to drive, gets much more attention, and is all around a better smile generator than any of the above.

Are there quarks, yes. Is it worth it, so far, yes. As an only vehicle...well, I think anyone that has to rely on a 10 yr old low production handbuilt vehicle as their only means of transportation probably shouldn't have one to begin with. That was never Cadillac's intent with they designed and marketed it. It was/is targeted at those of us over 40 with disposable income that desire something different to drive when we want to. When I drive mine tomorrow morning to our local Sat morning Cars and Coffee, there will probably be a couple Lambos, a couple Ferrari's, a few nice 60's muscle cars, a dozen Vettes of various years, and only 1 XLR...mine. Oh yeah...she's worth every penny.

Both our babies in our town-house parking lot. :cool:

View attachment 5586

Hello, Al Jazz, I thought your comments were spot on concerning both the type of owners for an XLR, and the kind of service we should expect from it. We've had ours for a year now, and I agree with everything you said about both the cars, their quirks, the owners, and the responses we get while driving it. It never fails to attract attention. While that's not why I bought it, it don't hurt:lol:.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom