Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Is the XLR just another Allante?

Bill.

Enclosed is a photo of a Maserati/Chrysler design that looks like a Baron with the removable top on….not the same car with this roof removed.

IAN:thumbsup

f212-1989-chrysler-1514387492131@2x[1].jpg

Last edited:
Ian, Even though this car came out after the Lebaron the Lebaron was designed after this car. Because the launch was held up by over a year with poor quality they used this car to design the Lebaron. My car was really nice. It basically sat in the garage for 20 years. I finally told my wife to start driving it. It had a fantastic leather interior including the dash.
John F.

John

Correct….. the interior was nicer, the TC was produce late in 1988 and stop the production 1n 1990, the over stock was sold as a 1991 Chrysler TC Le Baron, about 7300 were sold.

The Allante were produce from 1987 until 1993 with 21400 sold, with an average of 3000 units per year….. better than the XLR, no wonder why GM stop its production.

Would they learn from their errors designs by ''others'' for the next Cadillac roadster…….guest, ( only the shares holders count).:dunno:

Thanks.

David.

The XLR is definitively a better car then the Allante, because it was build in the US and the allante was import from Italia.

The allante was a front traction drive car and the XLR a rear wheel drive that is what most sports car suppose to be.

The allante was mostly an ordinary luxurious car with the Cadillac name plate on and not really a Cadillac.

The XLR power plan is superior from far, its a GM family car engineering in the old country and build in America on the c6 corvette fiber glass type body.
Contrary of the EVOQ steel body forecast by the GM administration, to build this EVOQ in order to stimulate the poor sales drop of the Cadillac.

The EVOQ was the real Cadillac.

At least we can say that the XLR had the sales of all the Cadillac on a trend up even if the sales of the XLR did not last for many years.

See my thread on headlights replacement done today, it concern the rest of what you are saying.

IAN:wave:
Body only was done in Italy by Pinin Farina for the Allante. Power train and aALL the rest from Cadillac USA.

John

Correct….. the interior was nicer, the TC was produce late in 1988 and stop the production 1n 1990, the over stock was sold as a 1991 Chrysler TC Le Baron, about 7300 were sold.

The Allante were produce from 1987 until 1993 with 21400 sold, with an average of 3000 units per year….. better than the XLR, no wonder why GM stop its production.

Would they learn from their errors designs by ''others'' for the next Cadillac roadster…….guest, ( only the shares holders count).:dunno:

Thanks.

NO relation to TC and Lebaon. TC was the Q body and Lebaron J body. No body arts from TC would fit Lebaron. I have 91 TC and 93 Allante and 04 XLR 91 TC most dependable of the trio

I've loved every front-drive Cadillac I've ever owned. Quality was poor but the comfort and driving experience were superb. Modern Cadillac interiors, including XLR, are missing the smell and touch that makes a Cadillac a Cadillac. I miss the smell and durability of Eagle Ottawa leather and the classy look of zebrano wood. The XLR, fortunately, retains the steering feel that's distinctly Cadillac.

The XLR's power top seems to be the least worrisome part. Video how-to guides and cylinder/pump refurbishers are out there charging reasonable prices (a grand or two). Everything with the top appears to be surprisingly easy to DIY.

The fuel sender, on the other hand, is horrendously expensive to fix for such a small part. I had three Sevilles with this problem -- you can get away with just using the trip meter to keep the tank topped off. I always filled up after 200 miles to be safe.

It also looks like shops are stepping up to refurbish headlights.
I am looking for a Florida or east coast mechanic to repair my 2005 XLR top. Caddie dealer says keep it up as sensors are unreliable and can’t get parts.

XLRValueLocal721.jpg
Been seeing some crazy prices where I live in SoCal (the land of nuts and as....) lately. Talked to a local Cadillac salesman; seems wealthy foreigners like XLRs. Now I'm driving around with a for sale sign on my XLR.

Sorry to say but it seems so.
I’ve looked into purchasing one and it seems that in a couple more years they’ll be selling for $8,000.
The problems with these cars seem overwhelming. Headlights, radiator, gas tank senders, engine oil leaks, suspension components, top mechanicals, etc. Any front end damage and it’s totaled. Rear end hits, forget about it, top will never close or open correctly. I’ve been looking at Copart and IIA for a couple of years for a rebuilder and thought how can they be so inexpensive? At $3,500.00 a head light, 2 would cost more than the car. Found 2 or 3 around $4,500.00-$6,000.00 that looked ok but would cost $6,000,00 - $10,000.00 to repair.
So I thought I’ll buy a used one....
You can’t buy anything unless you go though it with a fine tooth comb and that’s means traveling to check it out, which offsets any cost savings. All low mileage examples are priced $5,000.00 more that the market dictates and all the standard problems will raise their ugly heads as the odometer rolls.
Had 3 Allante’s and they all were JUNK! the only good thing with them is that they only cost $4,500.00. You can’t even part them out because all the parts that are desirable are all defective across the board,
Radio, adjustable shocks, trunk lock etc.
Guess it’s sour grapes but I’m tired of riding around in an $80,000.00 MSRP car with check engine lights and no sound system.
Maybe at the end of this year when people can’t make up the 4 months of their house payments that are due they’ll realize that these cars are money pits and will desperately try to get $12,000.00 - $17,000.00 instead of $20,000.00 - $30,000.00 that they think there worth.
I’ll still be in the market, I’m just waiting for them to sit in the garage or the used car dealers for a few more months and hopefully they’ll be some deals available.
I read you post….your very negative…that all I will say….did you ever find on…???

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom