Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Is it me or the car?

Flat tires

Mick.

I am not sure that most peoples install the plug from the inside tire as most of time the exterior plug installation is quicker,
If you ever get a flat tire in an unconfortable situation the first solution is by the exterior.

That has been done for so many years, tires comp. they have to make recommendations, doest the installation better from the inside, perhaps, for the side walls as per your picture.

For the horisontal portion of the tire on the surface of the road, the dilamination would be very low of the tire.
My opinion is, its OK for the flat surface of the tire outside / inside installation of the plugs.

When is the last time you had a flat, for me I can not rememder, the low line or the best tires must be build to prevent a such situation, for the safety of the people.

IAN :blinzel:

its your life. New run flats have a different repair method. yes you can put a plug from the outside. The problem is air will get between the layers and can cause a massive failure. Thats why ever single tire company says to plug them from the inside. The inside plug has a large rubber patch attached that completely seals the tire from any air getting between layers. the tire above is junk. It cannot be repaired. The tire above according to tire rack looked to be perfect from the outside. It is when you break it down and take it off the rim yo use the inner structure failure. No tire should be repaired if the hole is within 1/2 inch of the sidewall. An inside patch is vulcanized to the tire and stil lis to be avoided if any of the steel belts are broken. Outside patches almost always break the steel belts. Hew I still have a truck with 40 year old recaps from J C whitney We drive it all over the property and sometimes to the store . Tires look perfect. truck always parked out of the sun. if there was no sun then tires would last twice as long. I dont make tires but I do listen to the professionals.
Don't Plug Your Tires! - Performance Plus Tire

Flat tires

Sally

Any tires with side wall damaged with an open, ripped, buble or perfored, needs to be replaced,

Most flats happend on the sole band of the treads surface.

The photo of purezen shows of a sidewall ripped tire, that is the reallity, the photo with a black dut is not what usely happens for a side wall flat.

Perfored tread band by a nail or that sort is more and more rare, what is getting more frequent is the bulbes created by an impact with a pot hole and since the tires have wider bands and lower profiles, the side wall will ripped and its fiber stucture will also ripped and the air will try to escape.

However the structure of the tires will be protected most of the time by the outside coat of rubber and will stop the air to create a flat.... the replacement of it is a must.

Would a flat happen on the tread surface a plug could do the job for a small perforation.

When a nail gets in the tires tread sole a slowleak occur, as the small hole of the tires will again be protect and sealed by the tire itself from a real flat that could produce a car accident.

The driver will feels the slowleak and will have it repaired or replaced

IAN :blinzel:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry