Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Its Official - First XLR Install of Sunset Orange Creations Navigation Commander

GizmoQ

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V; 1996 Eldorado ESC-V
I've been working with Ben at Sunset Orange Creations about the similarities of the C6 corvettes and the XLR. Although we have several things in the works I would like to announce that I have officially been christened the first ever XLR with the Navigation Commander installed and working.

I a
m currently torn between my other cars and the capabilities I built into them with my CarPCs versus maintaining the clean lines of the XLR. So the Nav Commander was a first step toward a close facsimile for now. Now I can finally enter POIs, Addresses, update changes into the nav without pulling over and stopping. What's really nice about the Nav Commander is no extra buttons or switches to install - it uses the reset button on the DIC, totally stealth. Press and hold the reset for a couple seconds and the route buttons come to life. Once done, press and hold it again and the nav starts tracking again. As a side benefit, it also allows DVD viewing while in motion (not that I would do anything like that).

I a
m in no way compensated for my endorsement of this product; just a happy, satisfied customer. I may, yet, incorporate a CarPC into this vehicle - lots more testing before I decide - stay tuned.

Ben is a GREAT and talented guy! He made my "Exhaust Commander" for my XLR (when I put the V exhaust on my base XLR). I LOVE it, and it's one of the few products I've found that works as it should - flawlessly!!!!!

I also use the RESET button on my DIC to go from "Mild to Wild". I like it better than trying to find the remote control (though I have that as well).

I'm also not affiliated, but a huge fan.

GizmoQ - any idea if this Navigation Commander is an easy plug n play install or something much more involved?

GizmoQ - any idea if this Navigation Commander is an easy plug n play install or something much more involved?

If I can do it its gotta be pretty basic. Plug and play, ... not exactly: pulling pins from connectors is a little delicate for my paws.

Nav Commander

Hey Giz, I have been waiting since I read your first post about this, not yet, product. Even sent a note to Orange to notify me when available. I am REALLY interested in installing this mod. Any words??

Rusty '06 V

If I can do it its gotta be pretty basic. Plug and play, ... not exactly: pulling pins from connectors is a little delicate for my paws.

I just talked w/ Ben tonight. He's "putting the XLR directions" project on his white board, to get the detailed instructions done. He said he's been waiting for "Giz" to get him the pic's and writeup of his installation.

Ben's also contemplating personally doing an installation on an XLR, at a reduced price, just to get the pic's so he can finish up the directions. He lives in Seattle; any takers up there? I suspect there are a lot of us who would be interested in this product, if we were confident we could complete the installation w/o "hosing" it up.

Tim

I just talked w/ Ben tonight. He's "putting the XLR directions" project on his white board, to get the detailed instructions done. He said he's been waiting for "Giz" to get him the pic's and writeup of his installation.

Ben's also contemplating personally doing an installation on an XLR, at a reduced price, just to get the pic's so he can finish up the directions. He lives in Seattle; any takers up there? I suspect there are a lot of us who would be interested in this product, if we were confident we could complete the installation w/o "hosing" it up.

Tim

Hey I live by Seattle and would be interested if he could do the install in a couple hours and a good price. Give me a PM with more details!

Do I understand correctly that this still uses the OEM nav system with its out-of-date maps and POIs?

Commander

Just as soon as these are available for our cars, I want in........
When I was in Ny, I offered to supply the "mule", but it just never materialized. Now I'm in Fl for 6 Month Winter. Keep this thread open.

Rusty 06 V

Can we pull the factory Nav out and put in a new one? Or is it somehow connected the HUD display? I am new here. Would like install a new after market unit with new maps.

Hello all, and Happy New Year. Been offline for a while and just saw this. Let me start with a retraction and then I will address each of your concerns. My installer/fabricator informed me last month when we started operating on the OnStar/CoStar bluetooth interface that he added some "tweaks" to my car that he didn't tell me about to get the DVD to play smoothly, i.e., without interuption, while in motion. He requested that it not be published, and does not recommend I encourage others to attempt it. (I think he went inside the radio/Nav module and made changes)

Hey Giz, I have been waiting since I read your first post about this, not yet, product. Even sent a note to Orange to notify me when available. I am REALLY interested in installing this mod. Any words??

There is no difference between the one I have and the one he currently sells for the C6. The version I have requires the button on the DIC be pressed for 4 seconds to activate. The only difference on the install is the pin number for the speed sensor signal. I'll have to go out and uncover the car to get that info (maybe some time next week). I believe his online instructions reference connecting the system to the "trip" button on the C6 DIC, whereas, mine is connected to the "reset" button on the XLR DIC.

He and I talked several times since my install. His C6 instructions are dead on once you know which connector/wire is the speed sensor signal and its not that difficult. After I explained it to him, I must have thought the pics weren't necessary. If TonyPro doesn't get something setup, I'll have to remedy that.

Hey I live by Seattle and would be interested if he could do the install in a couple hours and a good price. Give me a PM with more details!

The install took me all of 30 minutes, most of which was removing the shifter knob, center console, HVAC, and radio. If he's willing to discount an install so he can document it - all the better. Give him a call at (830) - 44VETTE.

Do I understand correctly that this still uses the OEM nav system with its out-of-date maps and POIs?

Yes.

Just as soon as these are available for our cars, I want in........
When I was in Ny, I offered to supply the "mule", but it just never materialized. Now I'm in Fl for 6 Month Winter. Keep this thread open.

As stated above, already available. I recommend the system with the 4 second hold to activate, but he does offer other options. See his website for simplified solutions or talk to him about the different options he can program into the Nav Commander.

Can we pull the factory Nav out and put in a new one? Or is it somehow connected the HUD display? I am new here. Would like install a new after market unit with new maps.

A little off topic for this thread, but I've only read of one person installing an aftermarket nav, and it was wrought with difficulties and obstacles. Don't know if he ever got it 100% complete.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom