Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! K & N filters

C

Comfortzone

My car is at the Cadillac dealership getting several things done to it. I bought K & N filters and asked them to put those in while they had it. They refused. According to them, K & N filters are nothing but trouble and can be a real problem.

Does anyone have any input on this?

I understand the biggest problem with the K&N's are with cleaning and over-oiling when re-installing. Using too much oil will cause problems with the mass airflow sensor.

As MTRocket stated only issue you may have is over oiling, and you can easily install them yourself.

:cool:

Correct, the problem isn't the filters, it is owners over oiling them. I have the drop in filters in mine. Not a huge (if any) gain, but nice knowing I have the best filter available.
Bruce

install them yourself and after about 100 miles, remove the MAF sensor and clean it. Spray the inside of it with a throttle body cleaner to clean the sensor wires and you'll be good to go. I do it all the time.

Ditto on over oiling causing the issues with the MAF sensors. However, I did pick up almost 10 HP on my V with the K&Ns. Also, there is an aerosol product specifically made for cleaning MAF sensors (CRC #05110).

Hi All,
I installed K&N air filters, and after 3 weeks- the check engine light came on.

I have a hand scanner, and the code that's coming up is P0171.

The filters seemed VERY oily when I installed them, but wasn't sure how to lower the amount of oil.
Can I just rinse them out using tap water?

Do I need to replace my MAF to get the check engine light to come off?
I heard that I can try cleaning the MAF with a compressed air. Does anyone have a diagram of where it is located in the car?
Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mark

Hi All,
I installed K&N air filters, and after 3 weeks- the check engine light came on.

I have a hand scanner, and the code that's coming up is P0171.

The filters seemed VERY oily when I installed them, but wasn't sure how to lower the amount of oil.
Can I just rinse them out using tap water?

Do I need to replace my MAF to get the check engine light to come off?
I heard that I can try cleaning the MAF with a compressed air. Does anyone have a diagram of where it is located in the car?
Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mark

Hello Mark,
Welcome to the XLR forum net.

To reduce the amount of oil in the K&N filters, DO NOT TRY TO USE WATER!! Oil and water do not mix.
The best way is to dab the filters with paper towels to reduce the amount of oil in the filter material.

The MAS unit is in front of the Throttle Body connected to the big flexible tube with a large hose clamp and it has a square 1 5/8" electrical connection on the right-hand side (facing the front of the engine( driver's side)).
Go to your locale Auto Parts store and purchase a spray can of "Mass Air Flow" sensor cleaner, ( I use the CRC brand myself but there are several different brands on the market).

Hello Mark,
Welcome to the XLR forum net.

To reduce the amount of oil in the K&N filters, DO NOT TRY TO USE WATER!! Oil and water do not mix.
The best way is to dab the filters with paper towels to reduce the amount of oil in the filter material.

The MAS unit is in front of the Throttle Body connected to the big flexible tube with a large hose clamp and it has a square 1 5/8" electrical connection on the right-hand side (facing the front of the engine( driver's side)).
Go to your locale Auto Parts store and purchase a spray can of "Mass Air Flow" sensor cleaner, ( I use the CRC brand myself but there are several different brands on the market).

Oops, I hit the wrong key!

To clean the MAS.
With the engine OFF, open the hood and loosen the 2 large hose clamps in front and behind the MAS and gently seperate it from the air intake system. You do not have to disconnect the electrical connection but use care manuvering the unit around as to not damage the connector or wiring.
Spray the cleaner into the MAS as directed by the instructions on the can and after about 5 -10 minutes replace the MAS back into the system.

You did not mention which shape K&N Filters you're using, rectangular stock replacement or Voliante conical but the method for reducing the amount of oil in them is the same.

Hope this helps.

I have been considering these as well...if excess oil is causing the MAP sensor to throw a code, can this excess oil affect the supercharger?

Thanks Jack for writing up those instructions. Very helpful! I have the rectangular stock replacement filter.
Is the cleaner you mentioned a liquid solvent or is it just compressed air?

Thanks Jack for writing up those instructions. Very helpful! I have the rectangular stock replacement filter.
Is the cleaner you mentioned a liquid solvent or is it just compressed air?

It's basiclly a solvent and will evaporate within a few minutes after cleaning the oil off the sensor.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom