Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! Leaking Trunk READ THIS!

tonypro99

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Red XLR-V
Hello all so my XLR was leaking in the trunk so I decided to do some investigating one night to find out where it was coming from since the carpet in the back was SOAKING WET! So I took out the CD compartment storage in the middle between the drivers and passenger seat and stuck my head inside with a bright LED flashlight while a friend poured water along the trunk. I then could see that water was leaking in from where the trunk sits on the seam of the rear window. So I removed that weatherstripping (Which you must raise the roof down half way down and remove two 5mm bolts that hold the weatherstripping in place) and found that all the adhesive was completely deteriorated. I removed all the old adhesive inside the weatherstripping and along the rear windows edge with some hot water and once everything was clean, I then proceeded to apply adhesive along the flat side edge and in the upper groove as well. We put the weatherstripping back on and used a rubber mallet to tap it into place and tighten the bolts back up and let it dry over night.

The next day it did rain and VOLIA! NO WATER INSIDE THE TRUNK :blinzel:

Now it might seem like a hard project to do but really it only takes about 60 mins and ensures that your trunk is completely dry.

My next project is going to be to design a lid for the rear storage computers angled a few degrees towards the side with a small drain hose so NO water can ever enter into there. I believe this is possible since the computers and pump sit a few inches below. I will take measurements and cut it out of plexiglass and add weatherstripping along the edges of it to ensure a tight seal. I will post pictures and more info when I finish the project!

I'm taking mine in to my local dealer this afternoon to have a "leakproof the trunk" procedure done tomorrow. A month ago during servicing I asked the tech if there was anything GM had advised and he mentioned this as one of the most important things to have done. Says it takes an hour or so to complete, but I'm not sure of the procedure... yet.

Service Advisor said it would be done at no cost to me... possibly due to my Major Guard policy... but no deductible. I haven't had any leak issues, but prohibitive measures now may pay dividends later.

I hope you have a chance to post what "leakproofing" involves - I'd be interested.

Another leak source might be the third brake light. I was told that is a common problem on '08+ STS's & CTS's after mine was sloshing water in-between the trunk lid & liner. Dealer proposed re-caulking everything in the trunk - maybe that's the leakproofing.

I'm taking mine in to my local dealer this afternoon to have a "leakproof the trunk" procedure done tomorrow. A month ago during servicing I asked the tech if there was anything GM had advised and he mentioned this as one of the most important things to have done. Says it takes an hour or so to complete, but I'm not sure of the procedure... yet.

Service Advisor said it would be done at no cost to me... possibly due to my Major Guard policy... but no deductible. I haven't had any leak issues, but prohibitive measures now may pay dividends later.

Please keep us posted on this procedure. :cool:

After discussing the procedure with the tech, it appears that the term "leakproof" may have been a bit overstated. Perhaps "leak resistant" is more apt a term.

This will involve affixing a weather stripping around the edge of the trunk lid... across the back and down the sides. Apparently there is a welded joint on each side that has served as a leak point and this is the remedy for that as well as providing additional retardancy across the back window run of the trunk opening. I'll look at it closely when I retrieve it this afternoon and check for anything additional. No mention of the third brake light area in our discussion.

Quite possibly why this is being offered as a courtesy, but anything proven effective in that regard is something I want for the vehicle.

Thanks - that info alone is very helpful. That's not a spot I had been checking out, now I will.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom