Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Lift Points on the frame of XLR's

RichardDick

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Blue Bird XLR
I got onto a post someone had written about these points witch they talked about using pucks a spacers at the lift points. It was very helpful. They are oval holes in the frame. I went one step further.
I am real new a these forums, I hope I can attach pictures of the way I installed them permanently.
I bought the pucks from a hockey site, I countersunk holes on the center's for a 5/16" bolt head. I then drilled thru for a 5/16" bolt.
I later found out that I didn't have 5/16" bolts, So I used 1/4" bolts that were long enough to go through the puck and gave a little extra so you could see the hole in the frame.
I then bolted them onto the frame in all four places in the holes that had been explained to me.
In the pictures I forgot that I made 4 little plates with 1/4 taped holes that would fit through the oval holes, Then titan down

Attachments

• 20200305_125833.jpg
    20200305_125833.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 20200320_132644.jpg
    20200320_132644.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 340
  • 20200305_125914.jpg
    20200305_125914.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 307
  • 20200305_125937.jpg
    20200305_125937.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 333
Jack cushions

RichardDick

Enclosed is a drawing that shows were to lift your XLR with a single jack, your owner manual will explain it in more details.

IAN:thumbsup

(Thanks rexster)

A2   jack and lifting locations[1].jpg

Thanks BigBlu, wish I would have known this a long time ago. They would have been sooo much easier.
Has this information been shared on this forum? Others may like to know this.
Thanks

I don't think it has. I was actually research floor jacks and from that, found the XLR and the Corvette share the same frame. The pucks snap in place with a firm fit. Mine have been in all summer and no issues. From reading on Corvette sites, it seems like a good precaution to leave them in place all of the time.

Thanks again for the info. This info should be placed on the forum for everyone to see some how, I don't know how to do that.

Hi Dick,
I’ve also seen some where they used a correct size eye bolts fasten to the puck. I bought a set of 4 off eBay and must of left 1 in the hole after use, it must of bounced out down the road somewhere! Now I only have 3. On another note there’s this phone APP called Tapatalk that keeps up with the forum and and you can easily inserts pictures in seconds, just thought I’d pass that along. I use the app on my iPhone more then the forum on the computer.

Thanks
Caddy Dan using Tapatalk

Lift pok

Grand Daddy

An economical solution is to get a pok from a sports store and to get a stove bolt as per the picture, at an hardware store

Remove first the bolt from its wingsnut, drill a hole of the same diameter, introduce the bolt in the pok and then in the wingsnut.

Get the wings together and introduce the bolt/nut in the body opening, when inside the wings will opened and it will created a holding piece to secure the pok on the inside car rocker panel.

IAN :wave:

x2017-07-26_0008.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.L0LPadUYay.jpg

Love the location drawing you sent. I just had my XLR towed on a flat bed with air bags to lower the truck. The guy didn't know where to hook the wench on the car, it was stuck in reverse because the shift cable broke. Any ideas on this?

PUK secured

Richard.

If he do not know were to hook the towing chain, ask for someone who has the experience in towing the corvettes.
Enclosed is a picture were it could be kooked, on each side of the ball joint were the lower suspension A arm are together and seems to be strong.

A fine experience towing guy will know.

In regards of the stove bolts for the puk to be secure, I beleive there are somes bigger ones such as 3/8'' and longer with wider wings nuts.

By the way the holes for installing the puks are for the attachements for the frame repairs, ( or perhaps for towing ) they are longer then wide in order the get some hooks in the frame, that could be why Grand Daddy have lost one of them.

IAN:wave:

A1  Avant IMG_4342[1] (1).jpg

Well the tow truck driver didn't know where the connect his wench line so he hook it on the skid plate, which then bent and broke part of the skid plate. The skid plate number is 20939829 which also fits several Corvettes. I found one on Amazon for around 200.00 some dollars. The Cadillac dealer wanted 750.00. Well of course I got bent over again and payed the big price, Opps.
To replace the shift cable and fix the skid plate took a month to the day to so call fix it. When I heard I needed a new skid plate and it would take a week to get one, I was so pissed I ran out and bought one at a Chevrolet dealer and took it to the Cadillac dealer service manager that had my car.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom