Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Looking at getting into the XLR world

8.Lug

I've always loved these from the day they were put on the market but just recently started taking a serious look at getting into one. Been mostly a BMW guy but they've been slipping bigtime and my interest was waned. Unfortunately no one currently makes anything I'm interested in - was thinking a Cayman was in my future but research has shown lots of engine issues with those things and quite frankly - I don't want another 4 or 6 cylinder car. Honestly, I had pretty much forgotten about the XLR at this point until I saw one on AutoTrader and now I'm back on board. I'll mostly be lurking around here trying to gather up as much info as I can so I can decide what year/model I actually want.

I've always loved these from the day they were put on the market but just recently started taking a serious look at getting into one. Been mostly a BMW guy but they've been slipping bigtime and my interest was waned. Unfortunately no one currently makes anything I'm interested in - was thinking a Cayman was in my future but research has shown lots of engine issues with those things and quite frankly - I don't want another 4 or 6 cylinder car. Honestly, I had pretty much forgotten about the XLR at this point until I saw one on AutoTrader and now I'm back on board. I'll mostly be lurking around here trying to gather up as much info as I can so I can decide what year/model I actually want.

If you're willing to put up with a lack of vital parts not available you'll love the XLR. Headlight assemblies and tail light assemblies are non-existent. Folding top parts are scarce but still can be found most of the time.
That being said, the car is a looker, and people will stop and stare, take pictures of the car at a parking lot and strike up conversations about the car. They're coming down in price except the V's, but I didn't look for a V due to increased insurance premium.
Almost anything you have a question about XLR's is on this forum. Do your due diligence using the search feature, or like I and several others have done, start reading the posts from the beginning of the forum at your own pace.
Welcome

Welcome to The XLR Forum

Welcome to The Site. Later Models with super low miles would be my recommendation. Yes, parts availability is definitely an issue. And many body parts are really pricey. Yet, that being said, to me it should also increase their value going forward.

Again, Welcome. :)

I'm another "wanna-be" and my story's similar. Been lurking on the site here in anticipation of buying next year and this is easily the best online community you're going to find for this car. Lots of good info here.

One thing I'm really amazed by is how many of these I'm finding that have been "riced out" or just otherwise modded very distastefully. I would have expected something as rare, exclusive and relatively expensive would be fairly immune to this type of nonsense. Whether it's a hideous exhaust, stupid wheels or the worst part - V badging on non-V models - it really is making this search difficult. I had planned on having to make a fairly long drive to buy one of these - but I really was not expecting that I would drive 1,500 miles to find out the car is a hunk of crap. This does not inspire confidence.

One thing I'm really amazed by is how many of these I'm finding that have been "riced out" or just otherwise modded very distastefully. I would have expected something as rare, exclusive and relatively expensive would be fairly immune to this type of nonsense. Whether it's a hideous exhaust, stupid wheels or the worst part - V badging on non-V models - it really is making this search difficult. I had planned on having to make a fairly long drive to buy one of these - but I really was not expecting that I would drive 1,500 miles to find out the car is a hunk of crap. This does not inspire confidence.

Oh, you mean like this one?

Agreed. Yet they are 'out there' and 'original'.

FYI, found mine in San Diego w. 29,900 miles on the odometer from The Original Owners. A Doctor who had bought it new when he was 86 years old from Guy Hill Cadillac in Pacific Beach. ;) Now that's 'optimism'! It needed some minor work as a result of them scraping on speed bumps, getting too close to a few curbs, and that they had a really bad habit of wresting their left foot on the brake pedal as they drove it. So had to reline the brakes. Had the Calipers Powder Coated in a contrasting gold paint and used non rusting brake rotors.

The only mods I have made were to ad a curb alert to the front (works great), and a V sway bar to the rear underneath. Other than these things and having to yet repair and repaint some minor body damage (rocker panels underneath) and a few minor paint chips, I intend to keep it original, and as clean as possible. As in "They Are Only Original Once." As things may break or go bad (Ex., leaking body seals) or sensors go out, I will fix them immediately.

My message here? Keep looking and keep the faith. The right one is out there. Took me two years to find mine.

There oughta be a law against doing ugly things to these cars!

Totally Agree !

There oughta be a law against doing ugly things to these cars!

Hi Amy,

It was really nice to be able to meet you and your husband in Bowling Green. I also enjoyed looking at both of your XLR's !!! Simply 'gorgeous'.

For some of the newbys here on this site, Amy does the detailing on both of their cars, and to 'perfection'. They are even more amazing in person than their great pictures posted on this site.

Seeing your cars, I now have a standard to 'aspire' to try to achieve, for mine.

God Bless,
Charles and Shirley

Hi Amy,

It was really nice to be able to meet you and your husband in Bowling Green. I also enjoyed looking at both of your XLR's !!! Simply 'gorgeous'.

For some of the newbys here on this site, Amy does the detailing on both of their cars, and to 'perfection'. They are even more amazing in person than their great pictures posted on this site.

Seeing your cars, I now have a standard to 'aspire' to try to achieve, for mine.

God Bless,
Charles and Shirley

Thanks for the kind words, Charles. Just remember, girls like shiny things! - like diamonds, jewelry, and shiny cars!

It was great to meet you and Shirley, and we enjoyed talking to you both & getting to know you. And you’re definitely a good sport! :thumbsup

Hope all of us can get together again, sooner rather than later!

Amy

if you buy it you can do what ever you want

I am a strong believer in the satement that if you own it, you are free to do what ever you want to it. I don't like all of them , but some would say adding wheels or a sway bar should not be done. especially putting a V mesh grill I a non V. or a V hood on a None V.
I had my shocks changed to Bilsteins and the ride is 10 times better. Some here seem to like the cushy caddy ride from the fifties. I dont. Most corvette owners also don't as they replace the mag ride shocks as soon as they start leaking .Which they will do and that changes the ride with each ounce of fluid per GM. Those that want to keep it perfectly stock are welcome to do so. but they need to drive their moneys worth out of expensive shocks and other items. As far as going up In value. Its listed on at least one site as one of the top 10 worst cars for the money in the recent times. One very well known writer on you tube is working on buying one just to point out all the flaws. Should be interesting. Maybe help get Gm to make more parts ? I doubt it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom