Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Low coolant warning

Dwolf

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
Black 2009 XLR platinum
I keep getting a , low coolant warning on the dash display. The coolant isnt low so what could be the problem? I get this warning along with ,service fuel system. Ive been adding fuel system cleaner to the gas every few fill ups. Seems to be fetting better,fuel gage wasnt working at all now it works for a bit then doesnt. Is there anything else i can do to get fuel gage working full time? One more problem ive noticed, after car sits for 3-4days it seems to develope a rough idle and even cuts out some driving down the road. After a while it clears up till next time it sits awhile. Anyone else ever notice this after car sits awhile?

Have you plugged it into a computer to get any codes off it? A diagnostic tool is very helpful in finding the cause of these random issues you are having. You can watch things in real time while your car is running to see what is going on. Also, how many miles are on your car? Has it had any accident/ flood/water damage in the past? These things can cause misc. hard to find issues if not fixed correctly.

I keep getting a , low coolant warning on the dash display. The coolant isnt low so what could be the problem? I get this warning along with ,service fuel system. Ive been adding fuel system cleaner to the gas every few fill ups. Seems to be fetting better,fuel gage wasnt working at all now it works for a bit then doesnt. Is there anything else i can do to get fuel gage working full time? One more problem ive noticed, after car sits for 3-4days it seems to develope a rough idle and even cuts out some driving down the road. After a while it clears up till next time it sits awhile. Anyone else ever notice this after car sits awhile?

The XLR along with the corvettes that use the same fuel system are known for the fuel tank sensor going bad. The level wiper contacts ware out and cause level reading errors. Enough errors and the gauge quits working and dic messages appear. The cleaning will help at first but since it’s a ware thing, eventually the tanks will have to be dropped and sensors replaced.

Codes

Have you plugged it into a computer to get any codes off it? A diagnostic tool is very helpful in finding the cause of these random issues you are having. You can watch things in real time while your car is running to see what is going on. Also, how many miles are on your car? Has it had any accident/ flood/water damage in the past? These things can cause misc. hard to find issues if not fixed correctly.
No codes showing other that the one showing hi boltage tobfuel srnder cause gas gage to not work proper st times.
150,000 pampered miles,no accidents or flood damage.im slowly getting all the quirks fixed,replaced power top lift pump,motor and module,top now wirks great,rewired drivers seat do to harness getting tore up from seat track, works as should now.gas gage getting better each tank of gas as i keep adding fuel sys cleaner to it.
now if i can figure out why it tells me coolant low and get trunk to open and close properly, trunk does as should when operating power top but doesnt when i just need in trunk, i have to lift it and close it by hand, opening it is real difficult, closing it just takes a lil nudging, the button under trunk lid does nothing to close it. What could it be? sorry i got off topic, thank you fot sll your help. One last wuestion, what or why does CD changer start making noise eveytime the door is opened? For several srconds it makes a bunch of clicking noise, has CD stuck in it but did thid befor also

Trunk Issue

FYI, I had the same problem for awhile with my trunk lid. After much commiseration and testing circuits with a volt meter, using an OBD II, I had the battery tested. Took it out of the car and to my local parts store where they load tested it. It tested 'good' but on the low end of the scale. I replaced the battery with a new one (highest rated amps I could get to fit). Walla, trunk problem solved. :) One thing I have learned about mine, is even slightly low voltage messes things up. Let alone that the battery would be dead in three days time if not on a Battery Tender 24/7. These cars have constant parasitic battery drain. More so than any other vehicle I have owned.

Also had the stuck fuel gauge problem. Running a good fuel injector cleaner through it also solved this problem on mine as well as running good grade of high test gasoline (manual calls for this).

My car does the same thing saying "Low Coolant" when in fact it is not low. Caused by the vehicle sitting and the coolant sensor has been 'coated'. Once started and run for a awhile, it goes away. If it continues, I plan to remove the sensor and try cleaning it first before replacement. Things corrode when they just sit.

Last edited:
Battery not ptoblem

FYI, I had the same problem for awhile with my trunk lid. After much commiseration and testing circuits with a volt meter, using an OBD II, I had the battery tested. Took it out of the car and to my local parts store where they load tested it. It tested 'good' but on the low end of the scale. I replaced the battery with a new one (highest rated amps I could get to fit). Walla, trunk problem solved. :) One thing I have learned about mine, is even slightly low voltage messes things up. Let alone that the battery would be dead in three days time if not on a Battery Tender 24/7. These cars have constant parasitic battery drain. More so than any other vehicle I have owned.

Also had the stuck fuel gauge problem. Running a good fuel injector cleaner through it also solved this problem on mine as well as running good grade of high test gasoline (manual calls for this).

My car does the same thing saying "Low Coolant" when in fact it is not low. Caused by the vehicle sitting and the coolant sensor has been 'coated'. Once started and run for a awhile, it goes away. If it continues, I plan to remove the sensor and try cleaning it first before replacement. Things corrode when they just sit.
I just teplsced battery with s $200 one so its no battery. Also i installed a battery tender on my car where its easy to keep battery charged if its goin to sit long.sense the new battery 2 months ago, hasnt went dead once. If were battery then why does it work proper when putting top up or down? If will do this without starting car although i do start my car befor using the top but i no it will do it without engine running, everything with the top works as should even trunk but just tryn to use trunk alone i have to life the heavey thing and give it some help goin down. The button in trunk for closing doesnt do anything, should there b some kinda sound when activated?
thank you for your advise

Understand. Different Problem Then. : (

I just teplsced battery with s $200 one so its no battery. Also i installed a battery tender on my car where its easy to keep battery charged if its goin to sit long.sense the new battery 2 months ago, hasnt went dead once. If were battery then why does it work proper when putting top up or down? If will do this without starting car although i do start my car befor using the top but i no it will do it without engine running, everything with the top works as should even trunk but just tryn to use trunk alone i have to life the heavey thing and give it some help goin down. The button in trunk for closing doesnt do anything, should there b some kinda sound when activated?
thank you for your advise

OK, I get it. I guess I missed the earlier part about your having installed a New Battery? The symptoms you described, on mine, were 'exactly the same'. The top would work fine and cycle with the deck lid. Yet, the trunk separately would not work. Just as you describe. When I replaced the battery, it solved 'my' problem.

Since you have a brand new battery and have ruled out that possibility, there is really only one other cause that you will have to try to isolate and find. And that is, "The Separate Trunk Lid Circuit" is not receiving power. It is my understanding that the deck lid 'separate' function works off a relay somewhere when the top function is not used. So you are going to have to do some testing in the circuit with a Mutli Meter to find where the loss of power is occurring. An OBDII Scanner will not show a code for this.

If I recall correctly (?) on this site are postings by "Cadillac Tech". I think he covered this issue, the most common cause when not the battery, and provided in a schematic (diagram) of the locations to test, and any relay. When you find the relay, also check the ground. Just search the Technical Site here for this information. Search under Deck Lid Not Working.

Hope you are able to find and fix this issue.

Check this thread out by CCClarke in New England

FYI, I searched other postings on the trunk lid inoperative issue. "CCClarke Uncanny Valley New England" has information under the following thread on "recycling the top" to try to get the deck lid to "re-index". I'd give it a try? He is very technically savy on these vehicles.

Here's the posting/thread a few pages in.

Trunk not closing on own after top cycle, only opens with top switch??

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom