Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Low coolant warning

Bill S.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior
Hey

Getting the false Low coolant warning. The reservoir is a man made unit. It goes together ...it has to come apart. If it comes apart, it has to be able to be repaired. Does anyone here have any experience with having taken one apart? I have a tough time justifying a $100.00 dollar replacement as the fix; there has to be "something" that is failing. Is it:

- - that the intervals are getting coating by a corrosion?
- - is there a resistor in the unit that is failing? Has to be a fix to this.

Took my unit out and gave it a shot at cleaning it out with water and Isopropl alcohol . It solved the issue for about half a day and extended the intervals I was receiving the warnings for a few days, but now am back to the old routine.....a minute after start up then like every ten or so minutes.

I toyed with another clean out but using that CLR liquid cleaner . I don't know the history of the prior owner, but I only ever use distilled water/anti freeze in my vehicles. Problem is I have not changed out the anti freeze to date, nor added any.

Bill

Last edited:
Check the wiring under The Front Air Dam

FYI, belated response to this post. Oops. But a friend who has one had it parked outside and a rabbit chewed on the coolant level wires that are exposed under the front end. When it would occassionally go on it was temporarily 'grounding out' and turning on the warning light. Some electrical tape and shrink wrap solved the problem. :cool: Of course 'if' it leaking, you will see this.

Hey

WoW a post from the past. Should have posted a resolution update. Replaced the reservoir after fooling with the original one for a week. Got a replacement tank from Rock auto for, I think, 112 bucks. No issues since.

Bill

I am waiting for a coolant reservoir too. Random low coolant warnings when driving, then they disappear. Won't see the new part until the GM strike is over it appears...
Weird symptom, glad it wasn't an expensive/complicated wiring challenge.

the other day I ordered one from rock auto they showed 6 today they show 3 in stock 192600088 at 104$

My local Caddy dealer replaced the coolant reservoir, no further 'low coolant' warning messages in the DIC display. Another quirky XRL event, not expensive-just weird!:dunno:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom