Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

map DVD

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
For about 3 or 4 months now, when I start the car my screen on the radio says no map dvd installed. It will display this for a while and then it will finally come on. Today it did it but it didnt come on. I put a DVD in and it played fine. That tells me, I think, The head unit is fine, so I think I have a bad DVD, although It looks fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I would buy a new DVD but I dont want to spend $200 and find out thats not the problem. If anyone with an 04 has upgraded ther DVD and still has the old one I would sure like to try it. If it works I would buy it or I would return it and just get a new one. I would really rather have an old one because I dont use the guidance. I just like to see the map while Im driving and I cant stand to have something not working on the car, even though I dont use it. I use my Iphone for guidance. If anyone can help or has an Idea what else might be wrong, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Dave

The first thing I would recommend is taking that dvd and making a copy of it in your computer/laptop. It is a dual layer dvd (8 gigs). Dvds can get worn out and stop working, since I've had various ones go bad. Usually your computers dvd burner will be more powerful and can read an old disc better than a car or dvd player. If your computer fails to read and copy it then you can be pretty confident that the dvd is bad.

Will the XLR read a copied dvd? Your guess is as good as mine. This morning I ripped my maps dvd and started a copy burning when I left for work. When I get home I will put the copy in and let you know. If it works I think I'll store the real disc away and just use the copy.

When I was experimenting with updating the 2008 dvd with files from a later Toyota/Lexus Gen 2/3 disk, I had some success getting my 2004 to read dvd+r dl disks. However, a few hours of the car being out in the Florida summer sunshine would usually result in disk errors until the car cooled down overnight.

For what it's worth, you can get later maps by using a toyota/lexus Gen2/3 disk. However, with that disk in place you no longer will have speech recognition an spoken directions.

Here's a little idea for you. When I got my '06, the nav' system only worked "half-fast"; i.e., it would jump around on the map, no POI's were recognized, I couldn't set the search area, and voice recognition didn't work at all. :dunno:

I had already bought a McGuire's lens polishing tool for the parking lights, so I thought, "WTH, it's not working anyhow, so just try it". I used the tool to polish the business side of the disk, where there were a number of scuffs. After about 15 minutes of being super careful NOT to follow a concentric polish motion, I cleaned it up. The scuffs were MUCH lighter, so I tried it.

The map function came up faster, and most things started working like the manual described. So, I put it under the polisher for another 10-minute session, and VOILA!!! Now everything works, including speech recognition, turn-by-turn directions, etc.. :blinzel:

Sure, the map's a half-dozen years out of date, but it's all working. Now I know that I can wince and spring for the $200 and have an up-to-date WORKING nav unit. :rocker:

Tim

FWIW

The copy works great in the XLR. I can't speak to a 5 hour drive in the heat but it was in the high 50s today so I took my dog down to the lake with the top down. The map worked all the way there and back. Turn the car on after the walk I pressed the map button as soon as the radio was on and the map was there (after the accept message) so I guess it's reading the disc fast enough.

The spool of discs I have are Memorex 8x DVD+R DL. I've had way better results with devices like dvd players and my xbox 360 (modded) reading DVD+R than DVD-R. I've also found that cheap brands usually do not work very well. Verbatim is typically the best.

I made a copy but the stupid thing started working fine and hasnt given me a problem since. When it does I will try the new one.

Problem solved. I took the disk to a local video store and they polished it for me now works great.

I've placed my original dvd (in its case) in my firerproof safe and will work from the copy :)

I use Google Navigation on my phone for mapping.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom