Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Scan Tools

RubyRod

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl
Does anyone have any experience with the OBDLink LX tool from ScanTool.net? I have their old ElmScan 5 tool and I really like it. It has a few shortcomings but overall it's a good tool at a reasonable price. If no OBDLink users do you have any recommendations for budget scan tools for personal use? The OBDLink tool is under $100 bucks and allows real time display of sensors using virtual gauges on the PC or phone. It also allows logging of data while driving for playback later. It's really pretty sweet. You can diagnose problems while driving the car or log sensors during a drive and play back the log at home later.

One of the shortcomings of the ElmScan tool is that it couldn't read manufacturer specific codes without an additional software package. The packages were sold per manufacturer. One for GM, one for Ford, one for Toyota, etc. It can get expensive with all the add ons. Since I don't have a package for GM I need something for the XLR. The ElmScan product is no longer supported so I can't buy a GM package for it now. The only upgrade path from ScanTool.net is the OBDLink LX tool (or MX+ tool, etc). Since I'm shopping for scan tools I'd like to know what other users think makes sense.

Thanks.

Everyone I know just buys a clone tech 2 for 300-400 on ebay. You can get a vin specific program from GM or someone e for 50-75$ A year that lets you do almost anything on the car. That and a set of manuals gets you up to 7-800$ but two trips to the dealer for anything other than an oil change and you will be paid that .

Everyone I know just buys a clone tech 2 for 300-400 on ebay. You can get a vin specific program from GM or someone e for 50-75$ A year that lets you do almost anything on the car. That and a set of manuals gets you up to 7-800$ but two trips to the dealer for anything other than an oil change and you will be paid that .

Thanks. I've already discovered that the used shop/service manuals for the car run $500+. I'd like to have one (or a set?) but that's too rich for my blood. I have a $20 downloaded manual for my TBird. It's not complete but for $20 its OK. I suspect I'll end up with another $20 downloaded manual for the XLR as well.

I've seen the Tech 2 tools but it's not clear that it allows real time monitoring of sensors while driving the car. That's where the ElmScan tool proves its worth. I've had more than a few intermittent problems with other cars that I couldn't diagnose without driving them and watching specific sensors when things failed or logging sensor data when failures occurred that I could replay at home later.

I also didn't realize that you have to buy a yearly software subscription in order to used the Tech 2. Yuck.

The tech two is all you need the snap on tools won't work on the xlr. I would be willing to say the one you are talking about won't work to do the things you will need to do to stay out if the dealership. but you go ahead and get and let us know. What se know is from yeRs from years of experience what the tech 2 and what it can do. Its what the dealer uses. Even the dealers that have the new GM tool will use the old tech two. You can monitor every item on the car. You can turn on and off every switch.you can program the top.Something you will need to learn to do that I've not seen any other scanner do. I did not say you had to buy a subcription. If you want to vin code modules or change factory settings you will need a subscription. You will find you have to pay someone to do that with any scanner.plus the generic codes most scanners give will not match up with the factory specific codes that the manuals list and what to do to repair them. I'd say 20$ is not that much to throw away to find out you have thousands of pages of noise.good luck on your repairs

I have the Tech2 and I'm still learning it's capabilities but it seems to do everything I have needed and has already saved me money. I tried a scanner made by Xtool, do not buy that one. Not only did it not work for the XLR, it caused problems that I was able to fix with the Tech2.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'm sure I'll end up with something sooner rather than later

And I'm not averse to have repairs that are beyond my capabilities done at the dealer or a local repair shop. But given the state of parts availability for these cars I'll be on my own for a lot of things. The shops REALLY don't want to deal with salvage parts. If I'm going to preserve this car I'll be forced to. Like it or not.

Well I will have to disagree A bit. First the top system is not like an engine skip where you might replace a plug and fix it. Its complicated. There are a dozen things that can be causing your problem. The valet switch could be bad. you did not answer about the struts. You may wiggle some wires and fix it but a tech 2 will scan all the switches and let you know which one is not working . if you are going to try and do your own work then it absolutely necessary as has been stated plus the manuals. You may get a disc and find what you are looking for. I doubt it. As each procedure you are instructed to refer to a former procedure that is going to be hard to find on a disc. in the manuals it is sometimes in a seperate book.As far as dealers I ship new and reconditioned parts for the top to them 2-3 times a week with no problems. Half the stuff you will buy and pay double for on ebay is not tested . so you don't know what you are getting.. You did not list the area in Florida but there is a super good shop along the space coast. Strictly saab.
Good luck and when you find your problem let us know . That's the way people can learn.

Thanks Mickey. Strictly Saab is on the wrong coast. I'm on the right coast. There might be a suitable shop in St Pete but it's a ways south. A place called RB Auto Service. Know anything about them? They claim to be a Cadillac Northstar & Corvette specialty shop.

No . funny I always thought miama was on the right coast and Tampa on the feft. Maybe I should say east and west to be more accurate. There a shop north of Sarasota that build pumps but I've heard mostly negative on them. I've not dealt with them before. I'd look more for a top shop as there are dozens of folding hardtop cars like the xlr and ssr they would be better for this than a basic mechanic shop. However if they have good scan tools they should know who to check the system for you.

I have a good soft top/interior shop a block away. Don't know if they have any experience with the hard top but if I have the car long enough I'm sure I'll find out. The 2 guys who run it are very good. They've done a few unorthodox repairs for me on my other cars. I don't believe they have much in the way of technology beyond an industrial sewing machine. Or 2.

I also have a Cadillac Dealer nearby that I'm sure I'll have to rely on for repairs that are beyond my abilities. At least that's where I'll have to start.

Thx.

I think that's what people have been telling you they use. To get everything you need it's usually 300-350 for a clone

I was asking if anyone had any experience with this particular vendor's clone. It seems priced more to my liking but if its unreliable it's no bargain.

Thanks.

I think they are all made by the same company. Usually a package with all the associated pieces are bought on ebay or Amazon . there you have a warrant . not sure maybe someone else will chime if there bought from this company. The only problems ive heard are usually just in the card. Easily replaced

It looks just like the one I bought with all the same pieces and parts, from a different company, I paid $312 delivered and it works fine.

You just have to be really careful on some of these China direct sites . read carefully as they show things sometimes that are not included. 300 are is what they are going for still

The site you are looking at lists the price at $250 plus $28 for the card, plus $65 for shipping and if they charge tax you're over $350.

I have a good soft top/interior shop a block away. Don't know if they have any experience with the hard top but if I have the car long enough I'm sure I'll find out. The 2 guys who run it are very good. They've done a few unorthodox repairs for me on my other cars. I don't believe they have much in the way of technology beyond an industrial sewing machine. Or 2.

I also have a Cadillac Dealer nearby that I'm sure I'll have to rely on for repairs that are beyond my abilities. At least that's where I'll have to start.

Thx.
Read some of my posts about Cadillac dealers and their shops. Be sure to ask them about their mechanic's knowledge about the XLR. There's not many CERTIFIED XLR techs around

rexster314. Thanks for the "warning". I'll have to pay attention for a certified XLR tech. Who knew?

Thanks again

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back