Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Mystery battery drain and transmission line vent cap missing.

Rule62

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Sable Black XLR/V
So, the Black Beauty is back at Parkway Cadillac tonight. After spending 5 days getting a new radiator, hood struts and hydraulic pump for the convertible top I got her home and all was well for a day or two. Then the battery died. I had a replacement Odyssey Extreme 1200 series battery that I had installed only because I wasn't sure how old the battery was I that came with it. But then I went to start it today and the new battery was dead.

So, I drove it back to the dealer, and when I pulled up on the service drive, smoke started billowing from just below the right rear wheel. At first we thought it was hydraulic fluid but later it was determined to be transmission fluid from a vent that was missing it's cap. I didn't even know there was a vent back there. Seems like a long way for transmission fluid to have to travel.

At this point they're trying to duplicate the drain on the battery before they can do anything. I really don't want to have to put this car on a trickle charger if I don't have to. I live in SoCal and use the car 10 months out of the year. If I were putting it up for 4 or 5 months I might feel differently.

Anyone have any idea which module got fried (and is now draining the battery) when the pump gave up the ghost? And, has anyone ever experienced a transmission fluid leak at the REAR of the car?? I'm at a loss as to what's really going on, but I'm so grateful I have a good warranty. :thumbsup

Cant help you with battery drain but you are aware the transmission is at the rear of the car? Just ahead of the rear tires?

The Folding Top Control module and Suspension Control module seem to enjoy committing ritual suicide together. When the Suspension module goes, you should receive a message on the DIC concerning RIDE CONTROL. Since your pump ate it, and was the last thing worked on (electrically) I would start looking in that area.

If it's at the dealer, have them run a full diagnostic and see if any modules are faulty.

A parasitic drain isn't that hard to islolate. A few beers, a DMM, photon emitter, and a little patience goes a long way. First, measure the inline current draw on the battery. Then start removing fuses until the current increases. Be aware the RAP circuit will de-activate after about ten minutes.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
The Folding Top Control module and Suspension Control module seem to enjoy committing ritual suicide together. When the Suspension module goes, you should receive a message on the DIC concerning RIDE CONTROL. Since your pump ate it, and was the last thing worked on (electrically) I would start looking in that area.

If it's at the dealer, have them run a full diagnostic and see if any modules are faulty.

A parasitic drain isn't that hard to islolate. A few beers, a DMM, photon emitter, and a little patience goes a long way. First, measure the inline current draw on the battery. Then start removing fuses until it the current increases. Be aware the RAP circuit will activate after about ten minutes.

Thanks CC-

The Service Advisor called today and said they are running a diagnostic test on every single module to try and determine which are malfunctioning. I get an intermittent "Service Traction Control" message followed by hard down-shift between 2nd and 1st. This only occurs after being driven for a while and when it's warm outside.

I'm hoping they can cure this one too. :dunno:

It may or may not be relevant, but there's a known problem with the XLR where the Service Traction Control light flashes for a millisecond followed by the car applying the brakes. This can inadvertently cause you to stain the seat covers that are no longer available. Have the dealership install the keeper on the connector under the steering wheel column if they haven't already done so. It's been written about extensively here, so a search should turn up all the background info you need.

I hope your problems are quickly diagnosed and easy on the wallet.

Last edited:
It may or may not be relevant, but there's a known problem with the XLR where the Service Traction Control light flashes for a millisecond followed by the car applying the brakes. This can inadvertently cause you to stain the seat covers that are no longer available. Have the dealership install the keeper on the connector under the steering wheel column if they haven't already done so. it's been written about extensively here, so a search should turn up all the background info you need.

CC -- is there a way to check & see if the keeper has already been installed?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the keeper is orange, so you should be able to tell if you have it or not. Mine is in storage all covered up, so I can't look tonight. Will confirm it this weekend.

Here's a thread with details about this problem. I hope this isn't your issue: https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...6-brakes-gone-wild.html?highlight=Stabilitrac

Cubby is right, you should be able to see the keeper (they also call it a comb) installed on the connector. Also, if you're taking your car to a dealer, they should be able to see if it was installed by looking up the Service History.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the keeper is orange, so you should be able to tell if you have it or not. Mine is in storage all covered up, so I can't look tonight. Will confirm it this weekend.

Here's a thread with details about this problem. I hope this isn't your issue: https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...6-brakes-gone-wild.html?highlight=Stabilitrac

Cubby is right, you should be able to see the keeper (they also call it a comb) installed on the connector. Also, if you're taking your car to a dealer, they should be able to see if it was installed by looking up the Service History.

Thanks guys - I don't recall seeing anything like that on the service histories we have, but I'll take another look at that AND the cars.

It may or may not be relevant, but there's a known problem with the XLR where the Service Traction Control light flashes for a millisecond followed by the car applying the brakes. This can inadvertently cause you to stain the seat covers that are no longer available. Have the dealership install the keeper on the connector under the steering wheel column if they haven't already done so. it's been written about extensively here, so a search should turn up all the background info you need.

~Thanks all. This is the first I've heard of this. I was able to get the entire service history of my rig before I bought it as the original owner traded it to the Lexus Dealer right across from the Cadillac Dealer he purchased it from. Nothing on there except a few oil changes, a new set of Pirelli Eufori's (which I can't wait to replace in the Spring) and some minor issues with a power window regulator and door switch.

I'll pass this on to my Service Advisor. I'm so grateful I got the top-shelf warranty so none of this time is coming out of my pocket. ~ :lol:

The service Bulletin # is 06-02-35-002 dated January 2006. If you need a copy of it send me your email and I'll send it to you.

~Thanks all. This is the first I've heard of this. I was able to get the entire service history of my rig before I bought it as the original owner traded it to the Lexus Dealer right across from the Cadillac Dealer he purchased it from. Nothing on there except a few oil changes, a new set of Pirelli Eufori's (which I can't wait to replace in the Spring) and some minor issues with a power window regulator and door switch.

I'll pass this on to my Service Advisor. I'm so grateful I got the top-shelf warranty so none of this time is coming out of my pocket. ~ :lol:

any update on the tranny clunk, mine does it once in a while, at slow speeds, like parking lot speed, when i am coasting and slowing down, and reapply a tiny bit of throttle... clunk
like it was coasting in 2nd, then realized as i applied the gas it wants to be in 1st instead.
i just dont coast that way anymore.
but i am curious if there a fix.

Hi, there is a trim panel under the steering wheel you can take down and look in the nest of wires it'll be about a inch square and tucked in two connectors. :) Al

any update on the tranny clunk, mine does it once in a while, at slow speeds, like parking lot speed, when i am coasting and slowing down, and reapply a tiny bit of throttle... clunk
like it was coasting in 2nd, then realized as i applied the gas it wants to be in 1st instead.
i just dont coast that way anymore.
but i am curious if there a fix.

It's still at the dealer. They determined that the brand new Odyssey Extreme AGM battery I had installed had a "bad cell" so they can't diagnose the modules until they replace it.

When I get it resolved, I'll update the status.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom