Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

nav problem

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
I went to Florida last week. The Nav routed me down OK. when I came back it told it to go home. The stupid thing tried to route me home through louisville. 990 miles instead of through Nashville 770 miles. Once I got home I have tried to route back down and it always picks through Louisville. Any thoughts what might be wrong?

Dave,

I don't have an answer as to why it would do that, but if you keep driving the way you want to go it will recalculate the route. At first it will tell you to turn around or take a different route to get you back on its route. the only thing I can think of is to look at the setup menu and see what it is using to determine the routing. Hope it helps somehow. Happy New Year to you and Windy!!

I went to Florida last week. The Nav routed me down OK. when I came back it told it to go home. The stupid thing tried to route me home through louisville. 990 miles instead of through Nashville 770 miles. Once I got home I have tried to route back down and it always picks through Louisville. Any thoughts what might be wrong?

I get errors too

I frequently drive from northern LA county to the Palm Springs area and the nav system always wants to take me a much longer way. I have noticed this problem on other navigation systems specifically garmin and mio.. I think they are programmed for the major freeways only ie 5 10 15 etc. If you get on the more suburban freeways, 210 60 etc the systems want to re route you to the primary freeways. The nav system in my escalade does not.. has to be software issues.

I've found the nav to give me bizarre routes every so often... I don't think there's anything wrong, other than the route engine isn't the best.

It depends on which satellite is being used to designate your route at that particular moment. Have the same issue from time to time in my XLR and Crossfire Roadster Limited.:cool:

It depends on which satellite is being used to designate your route at that particular moment. Have the same issue from time to time in my XLR and Crossfire Roadster Limited.:cool:

Thats not how satellite GPS works.

The Satellites purely emit a beacon... the receiver, then has to lock onto at least three satellites to determine latitude, longitude, and altitude. This information is extrapolated from the time differences in which the signals are received. From that the receiver can figure heading and speed as per the NMEA spec.

(on a side note, the beacons also emits time (clock) information.)

So basically, the sats only give you location information.

Route information is calculated using GIS info from the map disc... the computer inside the nav does the calculations, not the satellites.

The thing that is funny is it took me the right route last trip and on the trip down this time. It cant be the hiway's either the correct route is I24 to pennyrile parkway. All major roads. the other funny thing is it wouldnt recalculate the route. It kept telling me to turn around for 100 miles. I was 20 miles from home and it told me to turn around and drive 330 miles.

The thing that is funny is it took me the right route last trip and on the trip down this time. It cant be the hiway's either the correct route is I24 to pennyrile parkway. All major roads. the other funny thing is it wouldnt recalculate the route. It kept telling me to turn around for 100 miles. I was 20 miles from home and it told me to turn around and drive 330 miles.

When running in the gumball 3000, I also had a garmin in my XLR-V to compare the two routes... rarely did the two agree on which route was the best, so I had to whip out my phone and use it to decide which route to ultimately take... :)

Over time, I've learned that the routes that the XLR nav suggests aren't the best... the nav in my 05 Denali give consistantly better routes on the same destinations....

Oh well - at least the XLR nav routing isn't as bad as the voice command. :willy_nilly:

I have found at that point the best thing to do is cancel the route and then re-enter it. Then it will calculate it correctly. You can't do that while you are driving unless you use the voice commands.

Check to make sure your system is searching the correct zone. I was having a simular problem and found my nav system was searching zone 4 (north central US) rather than zone 5 (Texas).

Check to be sure it's configured properly. It might be using ferries instead of the highway etc. It's worth a look to see what it thinks you want avoid.

I have noticed that GPS routes will change a lot depending on whether you choose "fastest" or "shortest" route.
Choose "shortest" and the GPS will take you to places you've never seen before .

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom