Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Need Headlight Update

so he bought my set and knocked them off .go for it enjoy .I have plenty of other projects I am sure no one else went to the expense of making a metal press mold. The black are poured (cast).

Isn't that what you did? You knocked off the oem lenses. The price for a set was way too high for someone not to take an opportunity to make an affordable option. Not just from yourself, but from other remakers as well.

I have the outer already but as you said the price is too high so I only use them for my own cars. Quality cost .The ones from Winnipeg have been written up about by several people on the forums before I dont need to add He bought sets from me until he made his own. an yes I did buy a set of theirs so I know what they look like and how they are made.. Quality cost more . I will stick with my prices and to forum members I give a discount. You bought retail You could have gotten mine from the same guy you had them installed at cheaper . I told you I only had 2 sets left and did not want to sell them You asked me to sell you a set as you had a tight time frame to get them done so i did and now you want to beat me up on price? I think I even sent them to you before payment so it would be faster. I did not twist your arm. I made 10 more sets as i needed three myself so I have a few left . I really dont care if I sell them or not as I will use them

If you
I have the outer already but as you said the price is too high so I only use them for my own cars. Quality cost .The ones from Winnipeg have been written up about by several people on the forums before I dont need to add He bought sets from me until he made his own. an yes I did buy a set of theirs so I know what they look like and how they are made.. Quality cost more . I will stick with my prices and to forum members I give a discount. You bought retail You could have gotten mine from the same guy you had them installed at cheaper . I told you I only had 2 sets left and did not want to sell them You asked me to sell you a set as you had a tight time frame to get them done so i did and now you want to beat me up on price? I think I even sent them to you before payment so it would be faster. I did not twist your arm. I made 10 more sets as i needed three myself so I have a few left . I really dont care if I sell them or not as I will use the

I have the outer already but as you said the price is too high so I only use them for my own cars. Quality cost .The ones from Winnipeg have been written up about by several people on the forums before I dont need to add He bought sets from me until he made his own. an yes I did buy a set of theirs so I know what they look like and how they are made.. Quality cost more . I will stick with my prices and to forum members I give a discount. You bought retail You could have gotten mine from the same guy you had them installed at cheaper . I told you I only had 2 sets left and did not want to sell them You asked me to sell you a set as you had a tight time frame to get them done so i did and now you want to beat me up on price? I think I even sent them to you before payment so it would be faster. I did not twist your arm. I made 10 more sets as i needed three myself so I have a few left . I really dont care if I sell them or not as I will use them
That's awesome! If you have made the outers and can sell em for less than an entire headlight, there's definitely a market for em. I have nothing but good things to say about the lenses I got from you other than the price, but like you said quality, right? Guess we'll see.

I will tell you what I will do .It seems you started this whole thing because you found and bought the lens you needed from me .Then later you found someone else had a similar product for less. Had you not had them installed I would be glad to take them back and refund. Since you have them installed here is what I will do. Go ahead and buy a set from Canada. I am in no hurry for them as you were. . i am sure they will not get them to you in 2 days as I did. But order them and when you get them send them to me. I will totally refund your price you paid me. I have not had any problems with the lens as long as you installed the led bulbs .If not any of them will burn out just like the factory ones at some point.
The outers are about 800 each at this point. I am still waiting for the new inner reinforcements that are needed. If they work out well enough the price will come down to about 400 if I get orders paid for in advance for 20

I will tell you what I will do .It seems you started this whole thing because you found and bought the lens you needed from me .Then later you found someone else had a similar product for less. Had you not had them installed I would be glad to take them back and refund. Since you have them installed here is what I will do. Go ahead and buy a set from Canada. I am in no hurry for them as you were. . i am sure they will not get them to you in 2 days as I did. But order them and when you get them send them to me. I will totally refund your price you paid me. I have not had any problems with the lens as long as you installed the led bulbs .If not any of them will burn out just like the factory ones at some point.
The outers are about 800 each at this point. I am still waiting for the new inner reinforcements that are needed. If they work out well enough the price will come down to about 400 if I get orders paid for in advance for 20
I'm not sure what you're talking about from Canada? Are you still talking about the lense type I got from you or is an outer made in Canada? But if you have outer for 800 each and they are close to oem quality I think you could easily get 20 buyers if not close to it for em. There's a guy who's currently working on getting us an entire aftermarket housing, but many have said they were working on it and never came through. This guy already has a shop with equipment and programming to easily have the capability, but it's just a matter if he'll actually follow through or not.

the cheaper upper lens DRL that you say are a better deal than mine are made in Canada. I really dont see any purpose in the black one plus since its the turn signal they would be illegal in the USA as even though you can see thru them they block too much light for the turn signal to be seen. Its not like some of the illegal plastic covers people put over their taillights .When those get a ticket they can just pop them off .To remove the Black DRL would cost a few bucks. Maybe someone else on here would like them >I dont. As far as the housing , thats just one of about 100 parts in the headlight. There are hundreds of used housing out there > i have maybe 25-30 and 2 or 3 others have maybe more. they seldom go bad except for a few cracks that can easily be fixed. No body is making them or I doubt will as you would never recoup your cost. There have been many people jump on here and talk about how easy it is to make parts .You can tell they have never done it. There are plenty of headlights out there . They are just expensive >As they total about 5-6 cars a week they add more and more .The prices will come down. The outer lens ,the drl ,the outer lens reinforcement and the motors on the 06-09 are about he only parts that ever go bad

Oh, I don't think they're getting those from Canada, they get em in town I'm pretty sure. Unless they some how get same day shipping on em. should have worded that different, I didn't mean just the housing but an entire headlight assembly. Looks like the main negative is that they wouldn't include the turning mechanism.

Just going by what Frank told me and I think he knows . .That's the only other person making them .he tries to keep a set in stock like he used to do with mine when I had plenty of the m. I am sure he is nto paying 100$ for overnight shipping haha.

Keep in touch,,,,,

Attachments

• ripvanwinkle21.jpg
    ripvanwinkle21.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 171
Doing more reading, it looks like the amber signal light is the problem...and at a mimimum I would think be replaced by a led light...I see where some guy in Canada actually restores headlights....at a reasonable price....maybe thats the end of my research on this problem...I'm ok with the shock replacement threads....any other major issues I need to be aware of?...I know the first thing I would do is put in a new battery and tender that I use every day on my allante...
Who in Canada is restoring lights. I may want to have mine taken apart and fixed.
John F.

you can buy new upper lens for less than 200 each side . Several good shops in almost every state can recondition them. The guy in Canada does not make the upper lens and only one person does. The only thing gm did was change the bulb holders in 06 and they sit back a little farther from the lens >they still get too hot and burn out .All years will burn out if you do not change them to led or make sure to keep them turned off. NO ONE is making a replacements for the headlight. People have been claiming to work on a replacement for the last 5 years .aT least a dozen or more people have claimed they can do it. NO one has. IT is not going to happen for years and most likely never will .if you watch you can buy nice used ones for less than 2000 on ebay . I have seen a few go for around 1000. The 04/05 lights ONLY work in 04/05 and cannot be made to work in 06-09 without cutting welding and fabrication of the light above most peoples ability. 06-09 can be made to work in all years with an adapter for 04-05 . If anyone wants upper lens I have a few and can put you in touch with a great repair shop in Texas and the seller of the lens.
Hi - old post, but I'm looking to repair or replace the lenses in my 06 - both sides have cracking marks. Thanks and regards.

you can buy new upper lens for less than 200 each side . Several good shops in almost every state can recondition them. The guy in Canada does not make the upper lens and only one person does. The only thing gm did was change the bulb holders in 06 and they sit back a little farther from the lens >they still get too hot and burn out .All years will burn out if you do not change them to led or make sure to keep them turned off. NO ONE is making a replacements for the headlight. People have been claiming to work on a replacement for the last 5 years .aT least a dozen or more people have claimed they can do it. NO one has. IT is not going to happen for years and most likely never will .if you watch you can buy nice used ones for less than 2000 on ebay . I have seen a few go for around 1000. The 04/05 lights ONLY work in 04/05 and cannot be made to work in 06-09 without cutting welding and fabrication of the light above most peoples ability. 06-09 can be made to work in all years with an adapter for 04-05 . If anyone wants upper lens I have a few and can put you in touch with a great repair shop in Texas and the seller of the lens.
Hi Michael - looking for the upper lenses for my 06 which have developed cobweb like cracks seemingly on the inside of the lenses. Do you have any? I've also contacted Frank at IQ Headlights in Texas who says he can still repair them. Thanks. David K Brown Twin Falls, Idaho davidkbrown2109@gmail.com 734.807.9961

Attachments

• _part-2000000000002549_.jpg
    _part-2000000000002549_.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 49

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics