Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Need Variable Valve Timing Oil Control Valve

Was thinking, the upper driver side valve can be removed without removing the radiator. My bad (sorry long Tall Sally). The upper passenger side valve can be too but you have to disconnect the power steering [FONT=&#10]reservoir[/FONT]. The bottom two...maybe a midget with four hands. The problem is if one valve is problematic, all four should be checked hence the radiator removal idea I got hung up on.

Poss 1:The valve is a simple robust sleeve design and is probably just fouled with dirty oil. Someone before you may have missed an oil change too often. I think they can be cleaned (haven't done that but have looked at them) and not need to be replaced.

Poss 2: If the actuator is not getting proper signal or the actuator magnet is damaged (1/$), the scan tool will say it's the valve ($$$$^2). A dealer tech that doesn't care will send you on a expensive goose chase.

Z1 have you changed a magnet before? I seem to remember that you damage the actuator getting it off. I was also wondering what got damaged on the valve. does not seem to have moving parts. A local caddy shop says he has several core engines so I may go by and take one off to see what its all about. They are on the floor so they may be easy to remove. At 350 each used on ebay I don't think its a waste of time.

I have, a few times. You need to destroy them to get them off because GM stole the design from BMW (hence the "Made In Germany," labels on them) which wisely uses disposable gaskets. GM hard siliconizes them on. Profanity and a Dremel ensue because you do not want to nick the engine cover metal (never get a seal again). And about 80 lbs. of force to remove, which is always fun in a delicate area.

I have never seen a damaged valve, they always look brand (no rust-always coated in oil) new even in high mileage engines. It's definitely a moving part: Outer metal jacket with sliding inner perforated sleeve.

I like the Insurance Auto Auctions, walk around the vehicle, see what was damaged, (employees help to start the engine) what isn't. I saw a blue XLR-V at Manheim in Oceanside last month that said water damaged, had salvage titled; but just looked perfect. Wouldn't start though, not even the light on the start button with a new battery. Went for 8k though. I think it show up in a few months on Auto Trader as: "An Old Man's last ride- In Mint Condition."

I contacted the owner of one in Texas that was a flood car. he said water was up over the bottom of the seats. It was on ebay by a dealer in NC that deals in xlr's and listed as "very small water in trunk area" No water anywhere inside the car. The owner saw that ad and called his insurance company USAA to report the car as Fraud. Never did hear what happened. It would be interesting to find out what Dorman rebuilds? I am sure the reason they are not selling them is they have no cores if they cannot manufacture the whole part.

I have had bad luck with Dorman, especially thier rebuilt throttle body's.

Good info. Still cant find this part on ebay, craigslists, etc. I have seen xlr engines (still on bodies) for sale on ebay, but not near me. I will continue to call Dorman for updates.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I looked up the listing and no more were available. I did contact the seller and hopefully they can find more.

Looks like there are some used parts available here:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-STS-SRX-XLR-Camshaft-Oil-Control-Actuator-Valve-Solenoid-4-6L-12613455/113985510492?epid=1911219378&hash=item1a8a10dc5c:g:sMcAAOSwTeJd5wKL:sc:USPSPriority!71291!US!-1[/FONT]

I told my Cadillac parts guy last week that Dorman told me that they were expecting the part to be in on November 3. He called up Dorman this morning and was told that the part was to be in November 3, 2020. Well that did not make sense. I called up Dorman and told her what I was told last week. She told me that November 3 2020 was not a good date and they do not have a "good" date for the part to arrive. However, they were expecting the part and did not know when it would come in. So back to square one. I was warned that this might happen. I (and others) will continue to try to hunt down this part until one becomes available.

heggstrom, I am not mechanically inclined. Tell me what happens if you don't have this part. Can you still drive the car ?
John F.

The cars will not operate smooth. They advance to camshafts from economy to performance modes. if they do not do so smoothly you have chain rattle and rough idol and performance. There is a sensor on the front that controls a magnet which moves these valves in and out. They have oil pressure going to them that is lowered or raised depending on position. If the pressure holes are blocked they do not work together if the valve is worn, oil bypasses the proper channel and they don not work together for all 4 valves making the car run rough. MY friend says on his car he just figured the proper spot between performance and economy and locked them In place at that spot. His runs fine. If we cannot get them I think that may be a remedy for some

My oil control valve is broken. The warranty company says that they will cover the cost of a new one and the parts/labor associated with it. While I am now able to find a used one, it's looking like I have to pay for a used part and pay for the other parts and labor myself. Then I am faced with no one wanting to guarantee the work after they are done. I need to find a new oil control valve!

Got a used oil control valve and took it to the dealer. The warranty covered the part and the repair since the part and repair came with warranty themselves. Once the service department installed the part and the check engine light was no longer an issue, the radiator started to leak and the suspension control module located somewhere near the trunk area stopped working due to being in a pool of water (drain was plugged). It also didnt help that the car was outside for almost a month. So now the dealership is getting a radiator and come to find out that the module is no longer being made is no one has one in stock. Back to this crap again.

Got a used oil control valve and took it to the dealer. The warranty covered the part and the repair since the part and repair came with warranty themselves. Once the service department installed the part and the check engine light was no longer an issue, the radiator started to leak and the suspension control module located somewhere near the trunk area stopped working due to being in a pool of water (drain was plugged). It also didnt help that the car was outside for almost a month. So now the dealership is getting a radiator and come to find out that the module is no longer being made is no one has one in stock. Back to this crap again.

Got you beat. Mine's been at the dealer 11 months so far and counting.

That's just plain sorry-ass. Avoid the dealerships, they don't care about your XLR. "Want to buy a new Cadillac buddy?"

What I meant by my comment was that I really enjoyed driving my car when I could, so I can relate to not having our cars around to drive. For better or worse, I am now committed to my Cadillac dealer to get this work done because of all the warranty work and parts that are needed and/or parts that need to be located. I have also got great help from long tall sally here on the blog with information and possible part locations.

Hi Heggstrom.

A qualified machine shop ( there are many ) can reproduce that part, few years ago i had the same problem when rebuilding a Ford Fairlane power steering, a similar piston was broken and the part was not available.

That is not end of the world.

Good luck
IAN

for anyone reading this and needs any I have both used and I also have some new oem in stock. I can also tell you how to save a bunch of time and money on swapping them out if you get a really high estimate.

2004 xlr

for anyone reading this and needs any I have both used and I also have some new oem in stock. I can also tell you how to save a bunch of time and money on swapping them out if you get a really high estimate.

I was just informed by mechanic that 2 of the camshaft oil control actuator valves tips (shinny round ends) were broken in which they need to be replaced. In which parts are discontinued. Repair is in the $3,000 range.. Do you have any other insight in addressing issue? Thanks in advance

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom