Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Need Variable Valve Timing Oil Control Valve

heggstrom

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR
Check engine light came on. Went to local Cadillac dealer and the 4.6 Northstar engine needs this control valve. The dealer said that they have no parts available and will make some calls to try to find a used part somewhere. Anyone know where I can get this part? 2005 Cadillac XLR.

Sounds like the part that sits underneath that. I found one on eBay for my V a couple years ago. Very hard to find unless someone has a blown engine they are parting out. Very fragile, the front part snaps off real easy.

I think he needs the control valve. there have been none of those around anywhere for about 2 years now. Moog had them listed as back ordered but they never made any and dropped the part number. I saw a couple of used ones on ebay bring 500$ each .Give us the part number the dealer says you need and we can advise you as people call the same part by different names

The dealer gave me the following part numbers-12613455 (GM), Dorman 916-870 (out of stock).
916-870 oil control valve.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, this is a ****-load of trouble, even for a master tech. I have dealt with just the 4 actuators covering the 4 valves, and that's a real pain with rembuilding the gaskets and the alignment. Your are going to have to take out the radiator.....oh f that.

No luck with oemcats.com, o'reilly.com, autozone.com, gmwarehousedirect.com, gmpartssolutions.com. Still looking.

I do need the control valve. Just chatted with Susan at dormanproducts.com. The part number is still active #916-870 and they are just out of stock. She told me that they still make the part and they expect a shipment in 90 days. Good news? I will try to double check the information.

Called Dorman. She told me that they are expecting a shipment of this part at their Kentucky location November 3. I was reassured that this is the Dorman 916-870 VVT oil control valve (GM 12613455) that I need per the dealership.

Just talked to the service tech. He is going to contact Dorman and confirm this information.

Last edited:
dorman has been telling me that for over a year now. They sold the parts to moog also. trust me. I have made a called every other week to dozens of suppliers and no one has it or expects it. Dorman is our only option. I even tried to order a dozen of them to hurry them up but to no avail. I have been promised they were going to have them in 30 days forever. Hope thirty days are about up. They also fit the srx or something else so there are tens of thousands that will need them not just the xlr guys and girls.

Oh, this is a ****-load of trouble, even for a master tech. I have dealt with just the 4 actuators covering the 4 valves, and that's a real pain with rembuilding the gaskets and the alignment. Your are going to have to take out the radiator.....oh f that.
why would you need to pull the radiator?

dorman has been telling me that for over a year now. They sold the parts to moog also. trust me. I have made a called every other week to dozens of suppliers and no one has it or expects it. Dorman is our only option. I even tried to order a dozen of them to hurry them up but to no avail. I have been promised they were going to have them in 30 days forever. Hope thirty days are about up. They also fit the srx or something else so there are tens of thousands that will need them not just the xlr guys and girls.
I am really keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

I told my Cadillac parts guy last week that Dorman told me that they were expecting the part to be in on November 3. He called up Dorman this morning and was told that the part was to be in November 3, 2020. Well that did not make sense. I called up Dorman and told her what I was told last week. She told me that November 3 2020 was not a good date and they do not have a "good" date for the part to arrive. However, they were expecting the part and did not know when it would come in. So back to square one. I was warned that this might happen. I (and others) will continue to try to hunt down this part until one becomes available.

sad but pretty much what they told me for the last year. there is a couple used ones on ebay for 350 each. I doubt I would go that route

Those valves are just long enough to hit the radiator when being pulled out. Techs who actually has done this job, will know this. Also few techs will do this because of the actuator gasket issue GM caused.

I will have to check that out .My friendly tech at Cadillac did one a while back for one of my customers as it was a warranty pay. I had installed a new 3 core aluminum radiator in the car which is thicker than stock and he did not pull that radiator. I will have to ask him how he got by without so I know. I know he replaced the actuators at the same time because they bend I believe due to being siliconed on. if you are talking about the round electrical part that leaks oil at the plug. I don't think its going to be an issue for anybody as it appears there are not going to be any available anywhere so the cars will just get parked .

I would like to have seen your tech get those out without removing the radiator. There is barely enough room to remove the actuators. Lets see if he's the real deal: Ask him what the 24 hour requirement is for in this service procedure. Even better what is his favorite actuator alignment tool - hint: it's a trick question only a real tech will know about. Let's get dirty, people.

A will have to remember the tool question. Since I have an extended warranty on the car, the Cadillac dealer already got the repair approved. So now it's just finding the part before the warranty ends.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom