Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

new 2004 owner with a key fob issue

Johnny o

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
love my 2004 - went to Cadillac to get a extra key fob and get it programed and while waiting he comes back and tells me that his technician says that if it has 4 programmed fobs already that when he try's to program a new fob the whole ignition module will shut down and be locked out and will need to be replaced so and it will cost 1800 to get new key fobs and module or part - so I said forget it and I'm thinking about trying to program the new one I bought from them myself it don't look to complicated - is this true that if you try to program more than 4 fobs it will mess up your ignition or module and be locked out? have you guys programed your own fobs ?

Welcome to the XLR Net. I'm going to move your thread into the XLR Tech forum for greater exposure to your question...

Hi Johnny,
I'm going to attack the same issue one of these days so I figured I should look it up. You do as you feel inclined and this is posted with good intent so if something does grenade, I'm not to be held responsible, okay? ;)

Here's the blurb from the service manual:

TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING (DOMESTIC)
IMPORTANT: Do not operate or program the key fobs in the vicinity of other vehicles that are
in the keyless entry program mode. This will prevent the programming of the
key fobs to the incorrect vehicle.

There are 4 methods for programming key fobs. Up to 4 key fobs may be programmed to the remote control
door lock receiver
(RCDLR). Each programmed key fob is given a position of #1-#4 in the RCDLR memory.

Method 1 - Key Fob Quick Learn
This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when they are programmed; if 2
fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed using this method will be numbered as Fob 3.
This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob, a replacement key fob, and the vehicles
mechanical key.
1. The vehicle must be OFF.
2. Open the rear compartment.
3. Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
4. At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower
left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
5. The DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
6. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right.
7. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or MAX FOBS
LEARNED.
8. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and 6, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition
switch to exit programming mode.
9. Operate the active portion of each key fob to finalize the programming and verify correct system
operation.

Method 2 - Key Fob Slot Programming
This procedure will add or replace a key fob. Method 2 allows you to choose which location (slot) the
unprogrammed fob will be learned to. If you are replacing a key fob, this method will erase the previously
known key fob programmed to that particular slot. This procedure requires that you have a known good key
fob, a replacement key fob, the vehicle mechanical key, and a scan tool.
IMPORTANT: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have
been programmed.
If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this
method is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display MAX FOBS
LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 4 must be used in
this instance.

3. Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
4. Install a scan tool.
5. Use the scan tool, to access the following:
6. At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower
7. Select Fob X (X = 1, 2, 3, or 4) on the scan tool. This will be the slot you wish to program to.
8. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box pocket with the buttons facing right. A beep will occur
indicating programming completion. The previously known fob is now erased.
9. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 4-8, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition
switch to exit programming.
10. Remove the scan tool.
11. Operate the active portion of each key fob to finalize the programming and verify correct system
operation.

Method 3 - Key Fob Auto Learn
This procedure will first erase all known key fobs. The procedure will then program a single or multiple key
fobs. Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that
you have a replacement key fob and the vehicle mechanical key.

3. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box pocket with the buttons facing right.
4. At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower
5. The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
6. Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button.

IMPORTANT: All previously programmed key fobs will be erased upon completion of the 30-
minute programming procedure.
The order in which the key fobs are
programmed will determine its numbering position within the RCDLR memory.
The first key fob programmed will be key fob #1, and the second key fob
programmed will be key fob #2. The number stamped on the key fob case is for
reference only: #2 can be programmed as #1.
Do not place any known good key fobs in the vicinity of the vehicle when
programming with Method 3. If the RCDLR recognizes a known good key fob
during Method 3 programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.
7. The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, then it will count down from 10 to 0, one minute
at a time.
8. When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
9. Repeat steps 5-7 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.
10. The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
11. Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button.
12. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB 1. At this time all previously known key
fobs have been erased. When fob 1 is programmed a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a
13. Additional key fobs can be programmed by taking fob 1 out of the pocket and inserting fob 2. If desired,
up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX
FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
14. If learning less than 4 key fobs, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program
mode.
15. Operate the active portion of each key fob to finalize the programming and verify correct system
operation.

Method 4 - Service Programming System Fob Programming
This procedure is a 10-minute relearn procedure using the Techline Terminal with SPS software. Once the 10-
minute timer has expired, the fobs can be programmed similar to Method 2 using slot programming. A scan
tool, Techline Terminal, and a replacement key fob are required to perform this procedure.
1. Place the vehicle in the Vehicle On, Engine Off mode.
2. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.
3. Insure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.
4. With a scan tool, select Request Info under Service Programming System and follow the scan tool onscreen
instructions.
5. Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect the scan tool to a Techline Terminal with the
current Service Programming System (SPS) software.
6. Turn the vehicle OFF.
7. On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal onscreen
instructions. Ensure the correct programming procedure is selected based on component being
replaced or programmed. See Important above.
8. Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and re-connect the scan tool to the vehicle.
9. With a scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programming System.
10. At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10 minute relearn procedure.
11. When the 10 minute relearn procedure has completed, use the scan tool to access the following:
12. Select Fob X (X = 1, 2, 3, or 4) on the scan tool. This will be the slot you wish to program to.
13. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box pocket with the buttons facing right. A beep will occur
indicating programming completion. The previously known fob is now erased.
14. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 12-13, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition
switch to exit programming.
15. Remove the scan tool.
16. Operate the active portion of each key fob to finalize the programming and verify correct system
operation.

----

Best as I understand, well, I'll be polite and just say try another dealer. It seems quite apparent that regardless of the number of fobs that may have been programmed in the car's life, they can be overwritten. Nowhere does it say the XLR will self-destruct / lock-out any component.

If you're planning on keeping the car for some time and feel comfortable, maybe consider a proper Tech 2 scan tool / Techline terminal (dig around here as there's some great threads discussing costs and qualities).

HTH!

Gord :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry