Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New export headlights, value?

Patrick.S

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray XLR
I have a set of export headlights (LF + RF) for year 2006-2009 with 10-pin connector.
They are brand new!

Any idea/opinion what price I can/should request for them?

Value defined

"Value" is often defined as what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller in a free market.

"Market price" is a different thing. Checking eBay "sold" listings for these units will give you a guideline.

I have been told that SMC was selling export headlight assemblies for $2500 per pair or more until they sold out of them. I understand that the difference is that the export units have a tighter "cutoff" pattern. The D.O.T. number on the domestic units is so small that I can't imagine anyone would ever pick up on the fact that the export units did not have that number on them. Certainly no one would be "harmed" by a headlight assembly with a tighter cutoff pattern. I would not hesitate to use them on my car if needed. I've yet to encounter an inspector that paid that much attention to an item like that.

Hope this helps. :cool:

Last edited:
Head lights

Patrick S. This is your very first post and you are selling something. I notice you are from Europe ? I would be very cautious dealing with you.
John F.

issues

ok here is the deal on export lights for use in the USA.
USA high beams are adjusted so the the light shines level forward and in the middle of the road. On dim they are set to drop several degrees down and to the right for the shoulder. SInce that is built into the light it cannot be changed. SO on dim if you adjust the light so that on low beam it meets inspection and shines down and to the right when you put it on high beam the center of the light will shine about straight down the right shoulder and out in the field. In other words high beam will be mostly useless. if you adjust where high beam is correct then low beam will be down ok but will shine into the oncoming traffic lane.
If your state does not have any sort of inspection you may get by with them. the self leveling should work ok. You may be able to get them to work somewhere in between proper adjustment and illegal. However I have looked at a couple of those sets and was unable to adjust them properly. You may be more concerned about how your car looks than what you see so they may work for you. Some have said they saw no difference but A lot of people drive and do not realize one of their lights is out until they are told. If stopped and given a ticket they will not pass an inspection.

That said if you want to sell them in Europe I have no idea what the market is. Very few cars over there so if someone needs it 3000$ each if not 1500 each

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions.

I can't comment on how the US-laws are regulated regarding the high/low beam light image, DOT-approval etc. I agree, personal value and market value can vary a lot. That’s why I’m asking on this forum since you know the market best and probably can give me a hint about the value.

beaver_jd: I totally agree. But at this point I’m only asking for your opinion about the value of the headlights, not your personal opinion about me as a new member. But I respect your opinion and totally agree if this was a sales ad/thread.

Anyone else?

Single lens HID lights have a metal "cut off" shutter that comes down for low and up for high beam.
This is most of the difference between many euro and US spec lights.

DOT vs ECE beam pattern | Retrofitlab Blog

It doesn't look like you can get to this shutter unless you split the light apart.

Single lens HID lights have a metal "cut off" shutter that comes down for low and up for high beam.
This is most of the difference between many euro and US spec lights.

DOT vs ECE beam pattern | Retrofitlab Blog

It doesn't look like you can get to this shutter unless you split the light apart.

You cannot the housing has the internals bolted in from the front then the chrome and last the outer lens. Plus the mounting is all different inside the back housing. If your state does not do any sort of inspection , they could possibly be made to shine light on the road but only on low beam or high beam. One not both .Its ashamed as I saw several other people jump on these a while back for 2200 for the pair and bought them all up just to find out they dont work and now have them on their shelves. There is discussion by others on some other headlight sites about modifications and why they are export only lights. I think the outer lens may be the same and the upper and a ballast and bulb so if you buy them for parts they might work.

They should sell them. I'll give them $1000 for a pair. :D

You cannot the housing has the internals bolted in from the front then the chrome and last the outer lens. Plus the mounting is all different inside the back housing. If your state does not do any sort of inspection , they could possibly be made to shine light on the road but only on low beam or high beam. One not both .Its ashamed as I saw several other people jump on these a while back for 2200 for the pair and bought them all up just to find out they dont work and now have them on their shelves. There is discussion by others on some other headlight sites about modifications and why they are export only lights. I think the outer lens may be the same and the upper and a ballast and bulb so if you buy them for parts they might work.

Tough choice?

Let's say you had an XLR involved in a minor front-end collision, but the headlight assemblies are damaged.

Do you let this take your XLR off the road permanently and take your "totalled" settlement from the insurance company...

or

Do you replace them with a pair of European spec. headlight assemblies that work fine on low beam and live without high beams?

Tough choice.

Quote: "Do you replace them with a pair of European spec. headlight assemblies that work fine on low beam and live without high beams?

Tough choice."

Wouldn't be for me,,,using the high beams less than 1% of my driving hours....... I could do w/o the highs

Let's say you had an XLR involved in a minor front-end collision, but the headlight assemblies are damaged.

Do you let this take your XLR off the road permanently and take your "totalled" settlement from the insurance company...

or

Do you replace them with a pair of European spec. headlight assemblies that work fine on low beam and live without high beams?

Tough choice.

I like your thinking. Only thing is insurance companies are totaling car now because they will not buy lights from ebay. I am sure they would not consider a light that is illegal in the US. Maybe you could get around it somehow but I doubt they would accept the liability.

Export Headlights

"Value" is often defined as what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller in a free market.

"Market price" is a different thing. Checking eBay "sold" listings for these units will give you a guideline.

I have been told that SMC was selling export headlight assemblies for $2500 per pair or more until they sold out of them. I understand that the difference is that the export units have a tighter "cutoff" pattern. The D.O.T. number on the domestic units is so small that I can't imagine anyone would ever pick up on the fact that the export units did not have that number on them. Certainly no one would be "harmed" by a headlight assembly with a tighter cutoff pattern. I would not hesitate to use them on my car if needed. I've yet to encounter an inspector that paid that much attention to an item like that.

Hope this helps. :cool:

Perhaps you should check on which Country the headlights were made for. If they drive on the Left, then the pattern would be wrong.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Sorry for my late reply in the thread. Have been very busy lately.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]But thank you all for your comments and PM:s[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]They are made for driving on the “right” side of the road. I bought 3 sets (L/R) and installed 1 set on my own XLR since my lens was cracked (We don’t have the problem in Europe with burned lens since we don’t use the turn signal bulb as DRL). I actually bought 1 set but got 3 sets totally due to a delivery issue - but that’s another funny story we can discuss later...[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Did GM make XLR headlights for countries driving on the “wrong” side ?

BTW: Mickeytee@ You have[/FONT] exceeded your stored private messages. I can’t reply until you clear up some space.[/FONT]

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom