Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New GM ride control modules in stock. Just got one today

BeardBros

Seasoned Member
As of right now there are new ride control modules for the 2004-2005 XLR's in stock in GM warehouses. I do not know how many are available but I just got one today 12/11/2017. Looks like they were stocked on 12/8/2017.

$750 list price.

IMG_6195.jpgIMG_6196.jpg

thank the corvette guys

Gm said they where not going to make any more a while back. But the corvette guys need the same module with a simple difference. Theirs was also discontinued. Looks like once GM made some for those guys they figured they would make more for the XLR folks. Sadly I just bought 5 for a 1000$ apiece. HAHA.
I sold 8 of them over the last month and at least brought he asking price on ebay down to a more realistic 725 asking price. They will come down from that since one guy bought 10 of them and I don't think he has sold a one. he was asking 1500 before the price drop.
Thanks for the info and I hope it checks out from my dealer.

Ride control electronic module

Gm said they where not going to make any more a while back. But the corvette guys need the same module with a simple difference. Theirs was also discontinued. Looks like once GM made some for those guys they figured they would make more for the XLR folks. Sadly I just bought 5 for a 1000$ apiece. HAHA.
I sold 8 of them over the last month and at least brought he asking price on ebay down to a more realistic 725 asking price. They will come down from that since one guy bought 10 of them and I don't think he has sold a one. he was asking 1500 before the price drop.
Thanks for the info and I hope it checks out from my dealer.

Being relatively new to XLR ownership, and at the risk of having brought up a topic already covered, my question is as follows: Do these modules fail solely as a result of water intrusion from leaks in the trunk (below and above), or are they subject to failure as a consequence of age and use? Additionally, are there any preventative maintenance measures that might extend the life of the component... such as checking and cleaning and spraying the connectors? Happy day, James

Nail on the head

Being relatively new to XLR ownership, and at the risk of having brought up a topic already covered, my question is as follows: Do these modules fail solely as a result of water intrusion from leaks in the trunk (below and above), or are they subject to failure as a consequence of age and use? Additionally, are there any preventative maintenance measures that might extend the life of the component... such as checking and cleaning and spraying the connectors? Happy day, James

JAmes, I believe you have hit the nail. I think they only expire due to getting wet. Many of the cars have been reapired in the leak area and people read how to check their drains to make sure water gets out. I dont see hardly any fail rate o nthe corvettes that use a very similiar module so I do no thin kits the module but the location and if it get water in it that causes the failure. These older cars are dieing off in numbers os fewer are needed. I beleieve there will be supply to satisfy everyones need over the next 5-8 years

Thanks for the background!

JAmes, I believe you have hit the nail. I think they only expire due to getting wet. Many of the cars have been reapired in the leak area and people read how to check their drains to make sure water gets out. I dont see hhardly any fail rate o nthe corvettes that use a very similiar module so I do no thin kits the module but the location and if it get water in it that causes the failure. These older cars are dieing off in numbers os fewer are needed. I beleieve there will be supply to satisfy everyones need over the next 5-8 years

Really appreciate your response. I suspect all owners of XLRs say silent prayers when they push the "top" button, and it works. All but certain that the original design went through 1000s of cycles to ensure that it would work flawlessly; yet, we all know that sometimes the age of a piece of technology can oft times overtakes its use. We love our new (used) car, and having some knowledge of what to expect is important. Gratefully, James

Really appreciate your response. I suspect all owners of XLRs say silent prayers when they push the "top" button, and it works. All but certain that the original design went through 1000s of cycles to ensure that it would work flawlessly; yet, we all know that sometimes the age of a piece of technology can oft times overtakes its use. We love our new (used) car, and having some knowledge of what to expect is important. Gratefully, James

I agree with you - for all the b*tching people do when the top doesn’t work, at least for me when you look at how complicated it is I’m amazed every time that it works at all!

ride control and an amazing retractable top

I truly am fascinated by automotive technology, and thank you for linking me to this important history... great stuff. Something to do while our northern babies our waiting out the winter (as are we). Happy Holidays, Gratefully James (presently in Maine-the frozen north). James

I like watching people as they see it in operation for the first time, their expressions are the best!

We had a feel good moment at a car show once when some parents brought their twin boys (who had some form of mental disability) over to us, and asked if we could operate the top because their boys were very into Transformers. Those kids were squealing with excitement at a real live “Transformer car,” & it made their day (& ours too). :thumbsup

I "internally" squeal with delight every time I work the top... the XLR is an amazing car... my wife, who is not a car enthusiast, is delighted by the car--- especially its smooth and comfortable ride. It's the most under rated car I've ever owned, and because it did not sell well, it is relatively unknown to the public... in aggregate, likely a good thing

Hang around for just a minute.....

We had Crimson Pearl at a car show a few years ago when two gentlemen in the 50 to 60 year old age group took quite an interest in the XLR. They asked quite a few questions and finally asked if the XLR came in a convertible model (the top was up on Crimson Pearl). I said that it did and it would be arriving in less than a minute!

They were quite perplexed as I got into the XLR and proceeded to put the top down!

Both of the men stated that they would definitely be checking into purchasing one!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom