Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! None working top and trunk

Search and links for Caddy XLR Top control module #25840734

Using the top XLR control module part number I did a bing search "GM part 25840734" and got multiple hits. The below link is one of them, saying they have the part in stock for $419 asking for your vehicle information to ensure the module is correct for your vehicle.

25840734 - Genuine GM MODULE, Folding Top

The part# for the top control module you are looking for is actually 25840734. They are $623.73 from GM and they are in stock. I just verified this with my GM supplier. You can also find them on Ebay and other suppliers on the internet.

Update

So car is still in shop at dealer, first what was once a trunk seal ended up being some water leak around the tail light, amazing almost the exact same price to fix as I was given for the trunk seal:). They replaced the top motor over 1 week ago and said last Fri the 13th that they were still having issues and it wasn't working yet. today 4/18 I get the same answer and of course the service rep is out for a week. I asked to have the tech call me directly so maybe he can tell what they have been doing for the past week. Even though there was an initial water leak, makes me wonder if the top module and motor really did need replacing if now they still can't seem to get it working.

last update 4/20/18

So they now say there was a corroded wire that was needing replacement so again don't really know if it was only that wire or all the other replacements that was needed. going to have the module and top motor checked out again just to make sure they didn't replace perfectly good working parts. But my new/old baby is back and seems to work fine so maybe now I can actually drive it. Thanks again to all that assisted in helping me out as I know just a little more about this car than before, now hope the only thing I need to find out is how fast it goes :cool:

So they now say there was a corroded wire that was needing replacement so again don't really know if it was only that wire or all the other replacements that was needed. going to have the module and top motor checked out again just to make sure they didn't replace perfectly good working parts. But my new/old baby is back and seems to work fine so maybe now I can actually drive it. Thanks again to all that assisted in helping me out as I know just a little more about this car than before, now hope the only thing I need to find out is how fast it goes :cool:

The corroded wire is a known issue and a very simple fix. just remove it, clean it and bolt it back with some anti corrosion sealer. About 15 minutes to do. NEVER seen a leak around the taillight. I call BS on that one. The taillight bolts to the body and does not seal to it. the wiring harness passes thru a hole with a rubber boot that seals very well. Unless it was just not stuck back in the hole that raises questions about what they are doing. The trunk seal, unless torn or ripped hardly never fails. There is a warranty recall issue well described on this forum with a very simple (less than 1 hour ) repair that works and solves the issue of water in the trunk unless you get it up from the bottom or the rubber compression seal in the floor is not working . Most remove it. The leak comes from the back area where the trunk meets the sail panel and back glass. super easy repair.
wonder if your mechanics have ever worked on an XLR. Most do their google research if they have not and can easily repair most issues.

look at this post line 10. If that repair has not been done the trunk will leak. One of the first things to look for on an XLR is to see that this repair has been done which means the top module and suspension controls have most likely been repaired or replaced
Mr Clarke has done a great job of writing this up. I think the old photos are gone but once you read it you can tell where to look

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ion/3991-trunk-leak.html?highlight=trunk+leak

Last edited:
Before you get too upset I think you got a pretty good deal on the car. You paid half what I did a number of years ago and yours is a V. If your engine is good and you don't have oil leads or radiator leaks you are in pretty good shape. When these tops mess up they can be costly and that can happen to any one of us. I put a plastic bag under the carpet in the truck covering the cover for the top pump. You may want to do that when you get the top fixed. Good luck.
John F.

Mans clean out the drain nipples frequently. They are notorious for clogging

thanks mickeytee

The corroded wire is a known issue and a very simple fix. just remove it, clean it and bolt it back with some anti corrosion sealer. About 15 minutes to do. NEVER seen a leak around the taillight. I call BS on that one. The taillight bolts to the body and does not seal to it. the wiring harness passes thru a hole with a rubber boot that seals very well. Unless it was just not stuck back in the hole that raises questions about what they are doing. The trunk seal, unless torn or ripped hardly never fails. There is a warranty recall issue well described on this forum with a very simple (less than 1 hour ) repair that works and solves the issue of water in the trunk unless you get it up from the bottom or the rubber compression seal in the floor is not working . Most remove it. The leak comes from the back area where the trunk meets the sail panel and back glass. super easy repair.
wonder if your mechanics have ever worked on an XLR. Most do their google research if they have not and can easily repair most issues.

look at this post line 10. If that repair has not been done the trunk will leak. One of the first things to look for on an XLR is to see that this repair has been done which means the top module and suspension controls have most likely been repaired or replaced
Mr Clarke has done a great job of writing this up. I think the old photos are gone but once you read it you can tell where to look

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ion/3991-trunk-leak.html?highlight=trunk+leak

I wish I had this info before the visit to the shop, Ill have to spend a little time on it to figure out but looks like very good info. Thanks again

I have tried most of the suggested "possible" fixes on this forum before taking my car to the dealership and getting expensive and untrustworthy repair estimates for the top. Do you possibly have a reference link to follow so that I can try this on my car before purchasing the FTCM? There does seem to be some corrosion on the terminal connections in that area (sorry, 50 y.o. woman lacking any technical mechanical terms!). Thanks!!

You are speaking of the FOB with the lock/unlock and trunk opener,and silver "Caddy" logo in the center, right?? If so, My fob is old and worn and I see no shiny button on it. Can you be more about explicit about it's location???

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back