Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! None working top and trunk

XLR-V

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black XLR/V
Too good to be true? bought at auction in CA recently my 2006 V w/200kmi. Everything seemed to work properly, put the top down a couple times just to make sure all was good. Had the engine checked out while waiting 2 weeks to get it transferred over. Everything fine, took to store, trunk opened fine. A few days later, take it on freeway to run a little, get to destination to show top down again and nothing, warning light said "top motor temp". checked manual and this site for some help and found a little but the read was NOT "top motor High temp" Just Top Motor Temp. I any case thought OK ill wait till it cools. Let the car sit for a few days (including rain) and still nothing, no sound at all and no warning display. I try the trunk from outside and DO hear a click and tail lights flash as if its wants to start but then nothing. Thanks in advance for any help, I did not want to put another dime in this car due to mileage, I got a very good price but now maybe its "you get what you pay for".

Too good to be true? bought at auction in CA recently my 2006 V w/200kmi. Everything seemed to work properly, put the top down a couple times just to make sure all was good. Had the engine checked out while waiting 2 weeks to get it transferred over. Everything fine, took to store, trunk opened fine. A few days later, take it on freeway to run a little, get to destination to show top down again and nothing, warning light said "top motor temp". checked manual and this site for some help and found a little but the read was NOT "top motor High temp" Just Top Motor Temp. I any case thought OK ill wait till it cools. Let the car sit for a few days (including rain) and still nothing, no sound at all and no warning display. I try the trunk from outside and DO hear a click and tail lights flash as if its wants to start but then nothing. Thanks in advance for any help, I did not want to put another dime in this car due to mileage, I got a very good price but now maybe its "you get what you pay for".
I would take it to a dealer and do a top relearn. Where are you located in Southern CA ?

Did you check the fluid level? Possibly too low.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If the cycle isn't starting at all, a cheap try is to re index the windows. If they aren't indexed nothing starts working.

Thanks

I'm not that mechanically inclined BUT not stupid :) so based on the advise, I'm guessing the "fluid level" is the hydraulic fluid which again is in the trunk that wont open, then i read about the manual way to open, is this correct way then to "check"? 2. Have no idea how to reset or align the windows, maybe need to research more threads, but thanks
3. Palm springs is about an hour but probably worth it I guess, hoping for an inexpensive fix. thanks again

I'm not that mechanically inclined BUT not stupid :) so based on the advise, I'm guessing the "fluid level" is the hydraulic fluid which again is in the trunk that wont open, then i read about the manual way to open, is this correct way then to "check"? 2. Have no idea how to reset or align the windows, maybe need to research more threads, but thanks
3. Palm springs is about an hour but probably worth it I guess, hoping for an inexpensive fix. thanks again
To reset your windows do the following. With the windows up put the drivers all the way down holding the button in the down position . When it's down keep holding the button and count to 5 and let go. Then put the window up and do the same thing. Then do the passenger window. When finished you should be able to touch the down button and the window will go down on its own and the same going up. The windows need to do this in order for the top to know what position it's in. I know it sounds funny but that's the deal. Every time you disconnect your battery you have to go through this procedure. If you come out to the Desert in the next week let me know. I may meet up with you.
John F.

SaveSave

So I reset the windows and nothing. I called a local dealer who said they have experience with these cars so I'll take a chance but will remind them to check fuse and fluid level before re-learn of top, sound right? thanks

Open the trunk with key sheathed inside the FOB-Key lock under small 1" x 1" plastic square, driver side rear bumper.

I had a similiar problem with the top and the trunk, except my trunk wouldnt go up. The FOB has a key sheathed in it. There is a skinny button on the FOB, close to the metal top of Key. Push the black button and carefully pull the key out. You can then go to the rear bumper and on the rear bumper, locate a plastic square cap, carefully remove the cap. Insert the key and unlock the trunk and push the trunk open. Not that you need it, if necessary, you can then start the car.

I plugged my $39 Chinese made cheep ODBII code reader analyser. Read the error code and then after three tries at resetting the error code the ECM reset. The top and trunk now functions ok, I suspect the ECM is a bit flaky and will probably need to be replaced. It's winter in the Rockies, so since I had the problem last fall, I've only put the top down and back up three time. I carry the ODBII code reader in my 08 XLR just incase. Next time, if there is a next time, I will get off my butt and if the ECM tests bad, replace it.

I had a similiar problem with the top and the trunk, except my trunk wouldnt go up. The FOB has a key sheathed in it. There is a skinny button on the FOB, close to the metal top of Key. Push the black button and carefully pull the key out. You can then go to the rear bumper and on the rear bumper, locate a plastic square cap, carefully remove the cap. Insert the key and unlock the trunk and push the trunk open. Not that you need it, if necessary, you can then start the car.

The 2006 model didn't come with that type of FOB.

That is a good thing

That is a good thing. It's good info for the 2007 and newer crowd to know. Compared to my Wife's 2016 SRX, which has FOB key slots in the door handles, my 08 XLR is a pain in the toot to access with the FOB key.

Did you get an error code on your DIC and if so, did you try to fix it by resetting it with an ODBII code scanner? Which so far has worked for me...without the expense of a mechanic doing it for me.

The 2006 model didn't come with that type of FOB.

That is a good thing. It's good info for the 2007 and newer crowd to know. Compared to my Wife's 2016 SRX, which has FOB key slots in the door handles, my 08 XLR is a pain in the toot to access with the FOB key.

Did you get an error code on your DIC and if so, did you try to fix it by resetting it with an ODBII code scanner? Which so far has worked for me...without the expense of a mechanic doing it for me.

08 and 09 models have the different fob. Although earlier owners (not sure about 04 models) can add the new style fob like I did

update

I went to the dealer who said they had much experience w the XLR. Bottom line is there was an actual rain in California and of course, the trunk leaks and 1/2 submerged the pump and module. The dealer said module needed to be replaced first to see if pump was still good or not. The cost for new module and trunk re-seal was 1400. Of course the pump is done and needs replace, their cost is 1,795 for pump and 495 for labor. I paid 11k for this 200kmi car and thought I got a good deal, now not so sure. I have seen a pump for about 1100 and a rebuild for 550, any suggestions would help. The idea of adding 3700 to an 11k car just to lower the top is almost ridiculous. Makes me want to lower it manually and leave it, oh and make room in the garage. sigh

I went to the dealer who said they had much experience w the XLR. Bottom line is there was an actual rain in California and of course, the trunk leaks and 1/2 submerged the pump and module. The dealer said module needed to be replaced first to see if pump was still good or not. The cost for new module and trunk re-seal was 1400. Of course the pump is done and needs replace, their cost is 1,795 for pump and 495 for labor. I paid 11k for this 200kmi car and thought I got a good deal, now not so sure. I have seen a pump for about 1100 and a rebuild for 550, any suggestions would help. The idea of adding 3700 to an 11k car just to lower the top is almost ridiculous. Makes me want to lower it manually and leave it, oh and make room in the garage. sigh
Before you get too upset I think you got a pretty good deal on the car. You paid half what I did a number of years ago and yours is a V. If your engine is good and you don't have oil leads or radiator leaks you are in pretty good shape. When these tops mess up they can be costly and that can happen to any one of us. I put a plastic bag under the carpet in the truck covering the cover for the top pump. You may want to do that when you get the top fixed. Good luck.
John F.

Thanks

Thanks for your help John, I'd say a good deal is only a good deal if you don't have to keep putting money into the car, I ordered the rebuilt pump from Top Hydraulics for the 550 plus the 450 labor plus the 1400 already for the trunk seal and module, my 11k car is now at 13.5 still with 200k mi so we'll see how it goes, I thought if I can get a good yr of fun it would be worth it but when you see others (non V) for under 20k and miles under 75k then not sure yet if I got a good buy. time will tell, thanks again

where did the ecu module come from? the dealer had it in stock?
i am needing a new conv. top ecu module but cant find any source.
part numbers on mine are Gm pn 10317458/ cts pn 1700291020000

I'd say you got a "great deal" with the purchase of an 06 V for $11,000. If the supercharger and engine/transmission is in good condition, adding a few thousand dollars to make it function correctly is still money well spent. You're still $$$ wise in great shape.

I paid $19,000 for my 05 2 years ago and immediately had to spend another $3,000 to replace the fuel pump. That included my renting a carhauler and bringing the car back from Nashville where it died to St. Louis. It's been a great car since. These cars are sooo much fun. Especially when the compliments start happening. Enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The part# for the top control module you are looking for is actually 25840734. They are $623.73 from GM and they are in stock. I just verified this with my GM supplier. You can also find them on Ebay and other suppliers on the internet.

Good Information

Good useable information on convertible top control module.

Thank you

The part# for the top control module you are looking for is actually 25840734. They are $623.73 from GM and they are in stock. I just verified this with my GM supplier. You can also find them on Ebay and other suppliers on the internet.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom