Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Parking on an uphill incline

BigRig

My XLR/V(s)
2007 platinum XLR
Friday we took the XLR on an extended road trip through the mountains. On Saturday morning I parked on a steep uphill incline. When I went to move the car, it felt as though the parking brakes hadn't released. Backed up about 15 feet to level ground and the check engine light came on. Shut the car off and let it set for about an hour then restarted the car. No more engine light and car worked normally. Has anyone had a similar issueand what was the cause?

Friday we took the XLR on an extended road trip through the mountains. On Saturday morning I parked on a steep uphill incline. When I went to move the car, it felt as though the parking brakes hadn't released. Backed up about 15 feet to level ground and the check engine light came on. Shut the car off and let it set for about an hour then restarted the car. No more engine light and car worked normally. Has anyone had a similar issueand what was the cause?

The only thing I can think of for the engine light coming on maybe the oil or other fluids may have been a little to much of a slant, as for the brakes feeling like they were still compressed, maybe the force of the cars weight holding or maybe the parking brake didn’t full disengage, other than I have no idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi RIG

The parking brake pedal sytem has the 2 handbrake cables attached to it, if they dont release properly then the release relay will not get the proper signal and the light or an advise will open in the dash information panel.

Was the rear brake inspect lately, maybe not is in it, the brake shoes and its mechanism could be defect or needs to be maybe serviced.

When you had the car on at the level for a while, the cable or the rear brake shoes within the rear rotors had probably the time to take their positions and the dash information center panel light when off.

Have it check by your thrust and competent Cadillac or corvette workshop.

IAN

Ian..
Had all 4 rotors replaced and brake system checked over about a month ago. Haven't had any problems with brakes while on level ground. The incline I was on was around 10 deg. Now that I'm back in the flatlands, I think I'll bee ok. Thanks

Hi Rig.

That is a good news, it would be wise them to inform the repairshop of the incident that happened to your XLR.

The Parking brake is parts of the brake system and when the rear disc rotors have to be removed the inside hand brake shoes has to be checked, adjusted or replaced, the same for all cables.

The workshop had to manipulated the hand brake components, so if there is warranty for the parts and labor they should take in consideration the problem.

As you say maybe it would not happen again, however having check by your workshop it would worth the try.

Good luck

IAN

It had rained the day before but not while it was parked. I think I'll take it to Purifoy Chevroletand have them check it out.they have a good Corvette crew there.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom