Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

passenger airbag disable?

After just a little research I wonder if the best route is to "dummy out" the switch on the seat track which would make the system think the seat is in the extreme forward position? In theory this should disarm the airbag for that seat.

The manual states MAY cause the airbag system to turn off the airbag leaves me to think it could equally MAY NOT as well. I tested it and extending the shoulder belt fully DOES NOT disable the passenger air bag. No assumptions, no speculation, only proven fact.

Looked at my manual for the CTS-V and it is almost word for word the same as the 08 XLR manual. Same seat sensor system, and like you I tested it, and the results.....the same. I would like to know how does the seat sensor system can distinguish between a child seat and a briefcase, as it does not take much pressure/ weight for the warning light to come on.

Is there a way to disable the passenger airbag? Depending on how my puppy is sitting in the seat I get a nag warning to fasten the seatbelt that I doubt can be bypased, but I'm hoping there is an override to turn off the airbag??

Hello Phrede,

This is a great question. Based on the owner’s manual for the 2008 XLR-V, the passenger seat is designed with a sensing system that will turn of the front passenger’s airbag and seat-mounted side impact airbag based on certain conditions. The passenger sensing system works with sensors that are part of the right front passenger’s seat. The sensors are designed to detect the presence of a properly-seated occupant and determine if the right front passenger’s frontal airbag and seat-mounted side impact airbag should be enabled (may inflate) or not. Some of these conditions might include:
• The system determines that a small child is present
in a booster seat.
• A right front passenger takes his/her weight off of
the seat for a period of time.
• The right front passenger seat is occupied by a
smaller person, such as a child who has outgrown
child restraints.

Depending on the weight of your puppy, the sensing system may or may not detect the dog in the front seat. If you have additional questions regarding the airbags in your vehicle, you can reference pages 1-46 and 1-47 in your owner’s manual or please feel free to private message us.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

Hello Phrede,

This is a great question. Based on the owner’s manual for the 2008 XLR-V, the passenger seat is designed with a sensing system that will turn of the front passenger’s airbag and seat-mounted side impact airbag based on certain conditions. The passenger sensing system works with sensors that are part of the right front passenger’s seat. The sensors are designed to detect the presence of a properly-seated occupant and determine if the right front passenger’s frontal airbag and seat-mounted side impact airbag should be enabled (may inflate) or not. Some of these conditions might include:
• The system determines that a small child is present
in a booster seat.
• A right front passenger takes his/her weight off of
the seat for a period of time.
• The right front passenger seat is occupied by a
smaller person, such as a child who has outgrown
child restraints.

Depending on the weight of your puppy, the sensing system may or may not detect the dog in the front seat. If you have additional questions regarding the airbags in your vehicle, you can reference pages 1-46 and 1-47 in your owner’s manual or please feel free to private message us.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks for the reply, however there is little meat in what you offer. A lot of may or may nots and nothing specific about the sensor, the weight required or the technology used. Exactly how much does a "smaller person" weigh so that I can determine if the system is working properly? Is 75 pounds small? 100? 150?

During the off season I intend to get permission from the NHTSB to install an override since I plan on having a passenger less than 12 years old. After that time I expect to have more knowledge of the inner workings of the system than most all dealer service departments.

Thanks again for your reply.

jack.jpg

I have a smart car that has a sensor in the seat. It is set for 80 pounds and that turns on the passenger's air bag/side bag system. Under 80 pounds the system remains disarmed. There is a light that says passenger seat disarmed. I tried it with my two grand children, one 3 yrs old and the other 7 and it works as stated.

Maybe GM is the same way? Under X amount of weight it is not armed?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom