Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Press Release: Posting my Review on the King Penn Wind Deflector for those that may have an interest in purchasing!

05 GRAND DADDY

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR
The WindRestrictor Product Review

MY PURCHASE EXPERINCE
Well my 2005 Cadillac XLR was an excellent catch, but I seemed to be unhappy with the topless highway driving with the wind turbulence that would become annoying. So I did as I would with any product I purchase, I got online onto the internet and checked reviews for my best option to find me a wind deflector. I looked at all avenues of the products available from construction design, looks, mounting, lighting options and of course pricing, finding that cheapest don't mean it's the best option. Of course since this is a high end Cadillac I wouldn't want something cheesy on my new awesome ride. As I reviewed the wind deflectors the Windrestrictor had some very good reviews and top of line options that I was looking for, such as strong metal mounting brackets, extremely nice illumination options with multicolor and remote control as a plus, laser etched logo/wording and very easy installation instructions. They also offered your own custom etching at an extra charge! Although WindRestictor was a little bit pricier, my theory is you get what you pay for. The cool thing was while online purchasing they have a Chat now button for questions and answers that I had used and after getting my questions answered they offered me a coupon code to use for 10% OFF DISCOUNT on the whole order!
Anyone can use this code which was [GLOWIN4U] Just add it to the Coupon Code area at checkout.

THE PACKAGING
As I was very anxious to get my new WindRestrictor, I didn't use the speedy delivery at an extra cost, but it still arrived in 7 business days to my door. When opening the package I was surprised to see how well it was wrapped in layers of foam wrap, sealed in bubble wrapped, clear plastic layer protector across the WindRestrictor to protect it during shipping and installation, the rest of the parts was all neatly packaged to protect my new WindRestictor from damage. The cardboard box had an official General Motors emblem and license GM sticker along wind the sticker showing it was from WindRestictor. The instructions where neatly printed with photos and pictures for easy installation. The wiring installation was worry free as there is no splicing or solder of wires involved with the quick wire connectors. They had included white gloves which was a very cool idea to help install with a fingerprint free install.
They simply had thought of everything for the do it yourself people in mind so you do a professional install, which meant no need to pay someone to it for you. Saving you more money to buy more unique items to customize your awesome ride!

123 EASY INSTALLATIONS
Talk about easy install they thought of everything to make it a snap. They said only about an hour and half to do an install and it was right on target. Wiring to the wires in the truck was fairly easy as well explained perfectly to the exact colored wires in the photos in the simple instruction. I like the nice touch that these illuminated WindRestrictors also serves as 3rd brake light. The control box unit has a built in dimmer for less intense adjustment for your liking. All the wiring can be tucked away in areas for professional looking install if you follow their direction! Yes it's that simple and easy!

NOW FOR THE ROAD TEST
After double checking everything was tight and all wiring was in place I was ready for a road test. The WindRestrictor was purchase for more than just wind blocking, you see my wife says no top down driving when she has her hair all done up to go out to dinner or a special event, well no more messed up hair dos, next best thing is the awesome look with night drives, the Cadillac Art Logo lights up the night with my favorite color, with just a click of the handheld remote control and lets me change the lighting color and other lighting options at car shows where I get many complements all the time. The road test went well as expected the WindRestrictor was well worth the money. With the WindRestrictor we have cruised with the top down on a cool sunny day and side windows up and enjoyed and nice warm wind turbulence free ride. Although it's doesn't stop the wind completely it reduces it enough to be a comfortable drive! You can always turn on your interior car heating too if need to help take off a chill and with the WindRestrictor it allows the heat stay inside over you!

MY HONEST WINDRESTRICTOR REVIEW *****
Yes I give the company and the product 5 stars for everything! The experience I have encountered with them has led me to purchase the XLR Door Sills also and I will be purchasing other accessories in the near future for my Cadillac XLR. Please keep in mind these WindRestrictor are also now available some Coupes and their other accessories can be fitted to many brands of other vehicles. So check them out! Chat with them online if you have question about the vehicle you own if you are interested in customizing your awesome ride! Change the way you drive with your convertible top down or now even your Coupe with a cool Glow Plate! Purchase and Customize your own Awesome WindRestrictor Product today.
Want to see all the other accessories offered by the WindRestrictor company visit them at this website
Copy Paste Link: Home page
And don't forget to receive your 10% OFF DISCOUNT add this Coupon Code [GLOWIN4U]

Illuminated WindRestrictors, Glow Plates, Wheel Rings, Emblem Badges, Puddle Ghost Lights & Edge Lit Art - See at their website Home page

Attachments

• 011eaa308a2a05b7afd2b7694fc58fc646efacba1a.jpg
    011eaa308a2a05b7afd2b7694fc58fc646efacba1a.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 435
  • 0174f54a1c65cd2ae34ea57982fd4697d3f3c9a43f.jpg
    0174f54a1c65cd2ae34ea57982fd4697d3f3c9a43f.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1861.jpg
    IMG_1861.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 304
  • XLR Door Sills Blue.jpg
    XLR Door Sills Blue.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 376
I probably should have written this years ago, but your post brought it back to my attention. I'm glad yours is working out. My Wind Restrictor experience for the most part was similar -except the after-sale support service. Mine ended up in the trash. Let me explain. . .

The WR does a really good job of reducing turbulence. The mount is robust and required using 3M solvent prep to ensure adhesion on the bottom mount. There was residual Armorall on the vinyl installation area that needed to be removed for the double-backed tape on the bottom of the mount to adhere properly.

I was glad I didn't get any bead-blasted graphics on mine as there's more reflection at night with a clear piece alone, that can make you jump when it looks like someone is about to rear-end you as headlights shine through the windshield and reflect off it occasionally. Added graphics weren't something I wanted to look through with the rear-view mirror, but to each their own. At a show where the car is parked, I think it would look pretty darn cool.

About a year into ownership, I started getting small spider cracks within the plexiglass, starting an inch from the bottom and radiating upwards; they continued to get worse with time. I contacted the vendor and was told I must have used an ammonia-based cleaner, (like Windex) on it, and that was the problem (sight-unseen on their part.) I used the supplied cleaner, so that explanation was a no-go. It was obvious they didn't care and weren't going to replace it, so I chucked it in the trash. They didn't even want to see pictures. . .

I had one of the materials engineers I worked with check it out and he thought the cracks were stress-induced, rather than results of a chemical reaction. But like I said, the thing was mounted solid, so it wasn't vibrating abnormally or anything.

Epic King Penn customer support fail in my book. I hope no one has a similar experience to mine.

Caveat Emptor!

CC :wave:

Last edited:
I probably should have written this years ago, but your post brought it back to my attention. I'm glad yours is working out. My Wind Restrictor experience for the most part was similar -except the after-sale support service. Mine ended up in the trash. Let me explain. . .

The WR does a really good job of reducing turbulence. The mount is robust and required using 3M solvent prep to ensure adhesion on the bottom mount. There was residual Armorall on the vinyl installation area that needed to be removed for the double-backed tape on the bottom of the mount to adhere properly.

I was glad I didn't get any bead-blasted graphics on mine as there's more reflection at night with a clear piece alone, that can make you jump when it looks like someone is about to rear-end you as headlights shine through the windshield and reflect off it occasionally. Added graphics weren't something I wanted to look through with the rear-view mirror, but to each their own. At a show where the car is parked, I think it would look pretty darn cool.

About a year into ownership, I started getting small spider cracks within the plexiglass, starting an inch from the bottom and radiating upwards; they continued to get worse with time. I contacted the vendor and was told I must have used an ammonia-based cleaner, (like Windex) on it, and that was the problem (sight-unseen on their part.) I used the supplied cleaner, so that explanation was a no-go. It was obvious they didn't care and weren't going to replace it, so I chucked it in the trash. They didn't even want to see pictures. . .

I had one of the materials engineers I worked with check it out and he thought the cracks were stress-induced, rather than results of a chemical reaction. But like I said, the thing was mounted solid, so it wasn't vibrating abnormally or anything.

Epic King Penn customer support fail in my book. I hope no one has a similar experience to mine.

Caveat Emptor!

CC :wave:

Sorry CC to read here of the problems, but this company here is all about you and product they have a lifetime warranty and mine is 6 years old this spring with not one issue and if you have problems they want to take care of it, a unhappy customer is bad news for business! They have solved the glare issues by tilting the deflector and with box unit it has a built in dimmer. I had mine tinted on the inner side to reduce the light enter inside the car at night! Happy Cruz'in
YOU CAN SEE THE TINT HERE
aa412b216e6774eaa9ac42d03835d7aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have to agree with CC. My purchase was unimpressive. The glue on the double sided tape that was supposed to hold the center channel down was bad. The glue holding the felt in the mounting channel was bad. The countersunk holes were to shallow causing the screws to not sit flush. The glue on the rubber pads attached to the aluminum brackets that go under the roll over hoops came off in a week on one bracket, and a month on the second.

I'm glad I bought the Plain Jane version that was under $300, because with all the gluing and tape I had to buy to make it work, I would have been unhappy if I had had to fix it if it was over $300.

I have to agree with CC. My purchase was unimpressive. The glue on the double sided tape that was supposed to hold the center channel down was bad. The glue holding the felt in the mounting channel was bad. The countersunk holes were to shallow causing the screws to not sit flush. The glue on the rubber pads attached to the aluminum brackets that go under the roll over hoops came off in a week on one bracket, and a month on the second.

I'm glad I bought the Plain Jane version that was under $300, because with all the gluing and tape I had to buy to make it work, I would have been unhappy if I had had to fix it if it was over $300.

I have question. Who was your Wind deflector made by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back