Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

PREVENTION

Phil105

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR base
I, like numerous others, am a new (August for me) XLR owner. I believe that I am fortunate that the car I bought, 06 w/23,000 miles and all maintenance records, has been trouble free of any significant issues. I'd like to try and keep it that way!

With that in mind I would appreciate you long term owners offering any advice you can that may relate to hindsight on your part. Are there any specific items that should be addressed in advance to hopefully avoid a failure while away from home?

As an example, is there a recommended time that maybe the touch pads on doors should be replaced to try and avoid an unexpected failure due to wear? seems to be a simple and inexpensive issue that could be a real nuisance.

What preventative measures can/should be taken to hopefuuly avoid a top operation failure?

Etc, etc

I believe there are several of us newer owners that could really reap benefits from some of you "old timers".

I'm sure much of this is addressed in the owners manual, but it is likely scattered all thru it, and I'm sure there are many issues that are not addressed for various reasons.

Hope you will take a few moments and share your experiences that might have been avoided had you been forewarned.

Thanks,
Phil

1) If it works, don't fix it. Membrane door switches are a minor repair. No need to make it a preventive maintenance repair.
2) Keep the Folding Top Compartment drain hole clean. Check it quarterly.
3) Clean and preserve the door, Folding Top and trunk seals.
4) Inspect the shocks for seeping oil.
5) Take care of the leather seats. Seat covers are becoming hard to find.
6) Add XPel or 3M Clear Bra covers to the head and fog lights. Headlights are becoming scarce unless you want to buy used items.
7) Keep a Battery Tender or Battery Minder connected if the car sits idle for more than two weeks.
8) Buy a set of Rhino Race Ramps. These come in handy when you need to get under the car and are easy to store.
9) Drive, park, repeat.

CC :wave:

PS: A trim tool removal kit. These are super-handy and will save you time and money (if you damage something using the wrong tool for the job.) 8-Piece Trim Panel Removal Tools with Hammer - Griot's Garage=

Last edited:
1) If it works, don't fix it. Membrane door switches are a minor repair. No need to make it a preventive maintenance repair.
3) Clean and preserve the door and trunk seals.
6) Add XPel or 3M Clear Bra covers to the head lights. These too are becoming scarce unless you want to buy used items.
7) Keep a Battery Tender or Battery Minder connected if the car sits idle for more than two weeks.
8) Drive, park, repeat.

Thanks CC - just ordered the XPel headlight and foglight lens covers.

As above, I'd also like to know what you recommend on the door/trunk seals.

Thank you CC for staying in touch with us,,,,

3) Clean and preserve the door and trunk seals.
6) Add XPel or 3M Clear Bra covers to the head lights. These too are becoming scarce unless you want to buy used items.
8) Drive, park, repeat.

3) From the Corvette forum, I just recently used GUMMI PFLEGE STIFT Rubber Care product

5) Thanks for the reminder. Leaving on long trip vacation in two weeks, and will put some leather conditioner on them.

6) Freaky, lol,,,,,, Just Monday I ordered clear WeatherTech headlight covers. Wish some company would make outside mirror covers, but haven't been able to find any available. We have 3M clear on the mirrors now, but I'd feel better with material covers.

7) Battery Tender Plus is always on our car while parked for over three days w/o using.

Thanks again CC

What thoughts are out there about lubricating various parts of the top mechanism? I've never been able to find a "schedule" for this or any recommendations. I can remember when they used to lubricate the door hinges every time you had your oil changed ...

With apologies for "borrowing" from a BMW forum, check out this thread on protecting seals & lubricating parts on BMW hard top convertibles: Keeping Your 3 Series Origami Top in Tip Top Shape - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (hope the link works). Good ideas on these items that can translate to our cars.

Einszett gummi pfledge stuff is great, get the shoe polish type applicator. i use it on the xlr twice a yr.
hold up great.
best to clean the seals with a proper cleaner before you apply the conditioner.
our seals are quite deep, can get a rag inside to wipe out thoroughly.
but be careful they are very squishy and can tear.

CC,

Where are the drain holes located ?

What were you using to preserve the rubber seals ?

Thanks.

Drain Hole: This subject has been beat to death so I won't re-write what's already posted here. Search is your friend. Read up and save a lot of money.

Door Gaskets: The soft seals around doors, windows, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. Use a product that contains Glycerine (Zymol Seal), a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking. (Lifted from the Corvette forums.)

I've always used Zaino's Tire Gloss protectant. Apply it liberally on the windshield header seal and let it sit for awhile. The first pass is used to clean off any dirt; the second is for preservation. I like this product because it doesn't leave a glossy shine on plastic, (despite the name) or the vinyl dash/pad for the earlier models w/o leather dash pads.

Zaino Store : Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss I've always been a big Zaino fan and have raved about their products for years. Good stuff that lasts a long time!

Last edited:
Thanks CC - just ordered the XPel headlight and foglight lens covers.

As above, I'd also like to know what you recommend on the door/trunk seals.

Great minds and all. I received my Expel headlight and foglight covers yesterday and immediately put them on. Took a grand total of about 25 minutes. You have to look very hard to see them

Great minds and all. I received my Expel headlight and foglight covers yesterday and immediately put them on. Took a grand total of about 25 minutes. You have to look very hard to see them

:thumbsup Should have mine Tuesday - - never would have thought about it - thanks to CC!

I had those on a prior car, can't say enough good about them. 5 year warranty, I sold the car a few months after that 5 year mark & the Xpel still looked like new. You would never know they were on there - except the lights weren't all sanded/hazed up.

12c9322999a3de49b1e1acb7c45f5ddb.jpg

I did something a bit different, I put the tinted pieces on the top of the headlights and clear on the front. I think it gives it a bit more modern look.

QUOTE=Fireduck69;64172]
12c9322999a3de49b1e1acb7c45f5ddb.jpg

I did something a bit different, I put the tinted pieces on the top of the headlights and clear on the front. I think it gives it a bit more modern look.[/QUOTE]

That does look pretty slick

Rexster - apparently you did something wrong. Put mine on today. Took me about 1 1/2 hr and 8 beers for the install. Now, I have to sit and imbibe on the remainder of the 30-pak watching them dry. CHEERS:D

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom