Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Proud XLR owner with a problem

...I am still finishing up the rebuild on my XLR so I have yet to have any experience with her. I am seriously hoping I do not have the type battery issues you guys are experiencing. I live in a townhouse community and there is no way to plug my beastie into a battery tender on a regular basis. If this becomes an issue, I may end up hardwiring in an exterior quick disconnect jump point. That way I can fairly easily provide power from another of my vehicles to open the doors and/or crank her with minimal frustration after she sits for a period of time without being driven.

OWNER WITH PROBLEM

...I am still finishing up the rebuild on my XLR so I have yet to have any experience with her. I am seriously hoping I do not have the type battery issues you guys are experiencing. I live in a townhouse community and there is no way to plug my beastie into a battery tender on a regular basis. If this becomes an issue, I may end up hardwiring in an exterior quick disconnect jump point. That way I can fairly easily provide power from another of my vehicles to open the doors and/or crank her with minimal frustration after she sits for a period of time without being driven.

Al, I have been thinking about installing an out side battery jump source but have not determined how to hide it. Let me know what you come up with. Hate to say this on this forum but your troubles has just started.
David J.

If you plan on leaving the car sit for more than a couple weeks I suggest planning for issues, it's almost certain. If I were in your position I would look at a battery disconnect switch and a external hood release. Continued and repeated total discharge of batteries will make them toast in short order. An outside hood release may not be too difficult and battery disconnect switches that mount to the terminal are easy to install and readily available.

If you plan on leaving the car sit for more than a couple weeks I suggest planning for issues, it's almost certain. If I were in your position I would look at a battery disconnect switch and a external hood release. Continued and repeated total discharge of batteries will make them toast in short order. An outside hood release may not be too difficult and battery disconnect switches that mount to the terminal are easy to install and readily available.

Al, I have been thinking about installing an out side battery jump source but have not determined how to hide it. Let me know what you come up with. Hate to say this on this forum but your troubles has just started.
David J.

Well Dave, as they say down here in the South...I Ain't Skeerd. I have had multiple Porsche 928s, and lord help you if you get one of those hand built beauties finished by a german dude who's wife has cut him off and his mistress won't answer his phone calls :willy_nilly: I have also had multiple Jaguars...and we don't even HAVE to go there. Lastly my GF currently has a Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible and depending on the day of the week it will let you know what electrical system is not available on that particular day...only to return in complete working order the next. Besides...if she becomes too much trouble, I will get rid of her...just ask my ex-wives :cool: I go through 3-5 different vehicles annually and when I get in a phase I might have 4 or 5 of the same type sequentially. I have had 7 Wranglers and a Commander over the past 4 yrs during my Jeep phase. I am already thinking about an XLR-V next...if I can locate one. As far as the jump point, look at the front facia, passenger side (opposite from the radar) and tucked up flat against the top. Something like this in a flat black 175A Connector Winch Trailer Battery Connect Disconnect Quick Wire Harness Plug | eBay ...see image below for idea location.

Phrede, that is a really good idea on the disconnect. I might try something like this: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-converters/automatic-battery-discon-remote.htm

mod.jpg

Well Dave, as they say down here in the South...I Ain't Skeerd. I have had multiple Porsche 928s, and lord help you if you get one of those hand built beauties finished by a german dude who's wife has cut him off and his mistress won't answer his phone calls :willy_nilly: I have also had multiple Jaguars...and we don't even HAVE to go there. Lastly my GF currently has a Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible and depending on the day of the week it will let you know what electrical system is not available on that particular day...only to return in complete working order the next. Besides...if she becomes too much trouble, I will get rid of her...just ask my ex-wives :cool: I go through 3-5 different vehicles annually and when I get in a phase I might have 4 or 5 of the same type sequentially. I have had 7 Wranglers and a Commander over the past 4 yrs during my Jeep phase. I am already thinking about an XLR-V next...if I can locate one. As far as the jump point, look at the front facia, passenger side (opposite from the radar) and tucked up flat against the top. Something like this in a flat black 175A Connector Winch Trailer Battery Connect Disconnect Quick Wire Harness Plug | eBay ...see image below for idea location.

Phrede, that is a really good idea on the disconnect. I might try something like this: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-converters/automatic-battery-discon-remote.htm

View attachment 5417

That looks like an interesting option. I think it would probably fit the bill.

with problems

View attachment 5417

Al, I,m also into restorations but American classics. Mostly old Caddys & Chevys. Have restored 8 including Elcaminos. The last & worst was a 1984 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. The 80's is when Gm stopped making real Cadillacs. I do have a couple battery disconnects but rather have a source outside to connect jumper. I will figure something out. At present time I start the XLR weekly. Now if I could solve the fuel gauge problem I would be happy. Dealer cost to replace sending unit $1400.00. I was told by someone on this forum that the C5s had same problem but checking with my friend who is the Corvette mechanic here at the local Chevrolet dealer they have not had this problem. I notice several XLR owns on this forum have the fuel gauge problem.
David J.

The last & worst was a 1984 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.
David J.

Good old HT4100, right? Along with a few other defects ...

I had an '84 Biarritz. When it got done with me I didn't buy another Cadillac until 2005.

If you plan on leaving the car sit for more than a couple weeks I suggest planning for issues, it's almost certain. If I were in your position I would look at a battery disconnect switch and a external hood release.

Are you sure about a battery disconnect on these "X's"? Won't you lose all the settings? And maybe more (?) I know a battery maintainer is a MUST!

This day and age it's much easier than that. First if you have the proper battery in the car and new you shouldn't have any problems leaving your car for a week or two and not having any problems starting. I've left my car for a month in the cold fall months with no tender and had no issues. My battery is ten years old and never a problem. I do leave my car hooked to a tender whenever not in use.
From what I read most of the cars with problems have after accessories on them. Bluetooth devices,mild to wild systems, who knows what else? Or human error "that dam rearview mirror light button " gets everyone at least once!:( Not knowing if their taping in to a switched or constant power line will lead to trouble.
With your situation of not having access to power. Why not look into a flexible solar mat. Throw it on your dash plug it into your cig lighter. I wanna say I've seen them for sale in northern tools catalogs? Even those new pocket sized power boxes that plug into the cig lighter. Its a little jumper box basically? Check it out. I wouldn't recommend putting a disconnect or jumper leads on the car it doesn't need it. I would run a extension cord from my townhouse before I even thought of something like that. :dunno:
How would your car recognize your keypad with the disconnect. You'd have to do your switch, hope everything awakes in a timely fashion. :dunno: that don't sound fun and luxurious which this car should bring you. :dunno: hope all works out for you.

Are you sure about a battery disconnect on these "X's"? Won't you lose all the settings? And maybe more (?) I know a battery maintainer is a MUST!
No power is no power. It doesn't matter if the battery is dead or if it is disconnected except that you will have a battery available to connect and get going if you disconnect it first.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

This day and age it's much easier than that. First if you have the proper battery in the car and new you shouldn't have any problems leaving your car for a week or two and not having any problems starting. I've left my car for a month in the cold fall months with no tender and had no issues. My battery is ten years old and never a problem. I do leave my car hooked to a tender whenever not in use.
From what I read most of the cars with problems have after accessories on them. Bluetooth devices,mild to wild systems, who knows what else? Or human error "that dam rearview mirror light button " gets everyone at least once!:( Not knowing if their taping in to a switched or constant power line will lead to trouble.
With your situation of not having access to power. Why not look into a flexible solar mat. Throw it on your dash plug it into your cig lighter. I wanna say I've seen them for sale in northern tools catalogs? Even those new pocket sized power boxes that plug into the cig lighter. Its a little jumper box basically? Check it out. I wouldn't recommend putting a disconnect or jumper leads on the car it doesn't need it. I would run a extension cord from my townhouse before I even thought of something like that. :dunno:
How would your car recognize your keypad with the disconnect. You'd have to do your switch, hope everything awakes in a timely fashion. :dunno: that don't sound fun and luxurious which this car should bring you. :dunno: hope all works out for you.

I should know fairly soon. The last part I need shipped from Michigan this afternoon ....so in approx a week my backside should be in the drivers seat.

Al, I,m also into restorations but American classics. Mostly old Caddys & Chevys. Have restored 8 including Elcaminos. The last & worst was a 1984 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. The 80's is when Gm stopped making real Cadillacs. I do have a couple battery disconnects but rather have a source outside to connect jumper. I will figure something out. At present time I start the XLR weekly. Now if I could solve the fuel gauge problem I would be happy. Dealer cost to replace sending unit $1400.00. I was told by someone on this forum that the C5s had same problem but checking with my friend who is the Corvette mechanic here at the local Chevrolet dealer they have not had this problem. I notice several XLR owns on this forum have the fuel gauge problem.
David J.

That is awesome! I owned a custom body shop for several yrs, and had the privilege of doing some really awesome builds...but most were for customers. We dropped a 502 RamJet crate motor in a C10 resto-mod...and that was sweet.

C-10 Grill.jpg

...now if I could solve the fuel gauge problem I would be happy. Dealer cost to replace sending unit $1400.00... David J.

For the sending units? They are approx $50 each...one in each tank left and right. ...and the stealership wants how much to install them? :banghead:

No trunk sticking in 90 degree Florida weather!!!

This has been ongoing for a couple yrs. but has anyone ever notice that when the temp gets really hot outside, the trunks kinda sticks. I go and hit the trunk release from either the key fob or the inside cabin area. Then the trunk hesitates for a couple seconds. I notice it more when I have been driving for awhile and the outside temp is really warm.

I'm surprised at your post because I live in South Florida and often experience weather over 90 degrees without having any trunk problems.

fuel sending unit.

For the sending units? They are approx $50 each...one in each tank left and right. ...and the stealership wants how much to install them? :banghead:

Yep, tank has to be removed. I have not taken it in to determine which unit is bad yet. That was just a high estimate. I checked with Caddy dealer but would not give est. Chevy dealer is better to deal with in my area. Oh, where are you finding sending units for$50 each?

David J.

battery tender

I just completed installing an external hood release & a external 12 v plug using a Perko watertight deck connector. The Whistler jump & go fits perfect on the left side grill panel. If battery goes bad I can do everything from outside the vehicle. No negative comments necessary just info for those Who may have misplaced the key. Would post pics but have not determined how.

David J

David J.

I've owned five c5 corvettes. Two of them didn't have the problem. The other three did. Odd that a Corvette mechanic wouldn't have seen the problem!

My solution was to always reset my trip mileage when I filled the tank. That doesn't cost a dime! :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom