Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Qurestions about the touch screen of the radio.

Bill S.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior
Hi

Need to swap out my touch screen on the radio of my '06 XLR-V. Finding one from an XLR is difficult and pretty pricey. All I need is the actual touch screen.

Questions
: 1) Are all the radio touch screens the same part number from '04 to '09 ?

2) Would the touch screen from an SRX work on the XLR radio ? It appears as being the exact
same part. Seems like you should be able to just swap out the screens.

Bill

I haven’t heard of anybody even considering doing that swap out, so I unfortunately have no idea. We swapped out the entire unit for a Kenwood, so I do know about that.

While it’s a different vehicle, a guy I work with who has an engineering degree was going to swap out the broken screen on his Dodge Dart, but gave up & just replaced the whole thing. Makes me think a screen swap is tough.

Others may know better...

On man’s opinion (and we know what they say about opinions)

I’ve never done it nor do I have specific info on our radio, but I have a LOT of experience in the general field so here’s my two cents.

If you could acquire a radio that was externally identical really cheaply, and you’re generally handy and patient, I say go for it.

The insurmountable differences are usually in the firmware and unreachable. The hardware platform, however, usually spans way more than one vehicle. Stick with a similar vintage, though.

In most (all?) situations, the manufacturer, Cadillac in this case, doesn’t design or produce the audio system. In fact, the speakers and amplifier (with it’s special tuning for that car) are not from the same company that makes the head unit.

But I digress.

My point is that, to be efficient, the radio / head unit manufacturer wants to maximize profit by using high quantities of individual parts and is rewarded with volume discounts to reuse parts in multiple designs.

On the other end, if they can make a deal with a new supplier, switching to a new part for a new model makes sense for a clean break.

Which circles back to my advice: If you can get a very similar donor radio CHEAP from the same general era and your current radio isn’t working well now, absolutely give it a shot. Take your time not to break things and you can probably even reverse the process to get back to where you are if it doesn’t work. You’ll only be out your time and the cost of the donor. They payout is either an affordable repair or a shared lesson for us all!

Keep us informed what you do and learn?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back