Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Radiator - Replace with aluminum

X

xr2

I have a 2005 XLR and I replaced the stock OEM radiator with this:

Mishimoto MMRAD-C6-05 Performance Aluminum Radiator Compatible With Chevrolet Corvette 2005-2013​

It fits and it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.
However, if you were to plug in your power steering lines, it would work as such.

ok just to be clear. The xlr with two coolers in the radiator has one for the transmission and one for the power steering .Only the V has an engine oil cooler and it is external in front of the radiator just like the z06. Half of the china radiators listed dont know the differnce and list it as engine cooler. No big deal but just to be accurate. I dont believe it has an engine oil cooler in the raditor. At least my 08 does not . The 04 and some 05 only had a transmission cooler and thats the cheap ones people buy and find out they dont work. You can add an external power steering cooler to an 04 for about 100$. Yours may be unique as I am not looking at it but people have been confused about this before .Many listings say trans and oil cooler so as long as it lists two coolers you are alright . but if you need a hose you need to know what it is. Follow where your hoses go and see where they go. Factory manual shows power steering cooler on the drivers side in photo.

Attachments

• DSCN6290.JPG
    DSCN6290.JPG
    696.2 KB · Views: 207
for what? To tell them your XLR does not have an engine oil cooler in the radiator But a transmission and power steering cooler. Its no big deal. Just follow the lines on your car and you will see that one side goes to the power steering canister and the others go to the transmission in the rear of the car .Call it oil or fluid its not an engine oil cooler in the radiator. Their listing is for the corvette and some year out of the ones listed may have used the cooler as an engine oil cooler The XLR does not. I have changed a dozen of these radiators and you have to top off the power steering when you are doen or it can burn out the pump. As I said you may have a very special one of a kind xlr with an engine oil cooler I doubt it. Look at the photo above .line 5 remove power steering cooler line from radiator.

Mishimoto tech quote: "Yes, the radiator has trans. ports on the passenger side and engine oil cooler ports on the drivers side." When he says this, he is referring to it for Corvettes only and not the XLR. Mickey is correct when he says the XLR is not set-up for oil cooler lines to the radiator but the Mishimoto is nevertheless, designed for this option.

oil pressure usually runs 80 psi max. power steering pressure usually runs 80-125 but at full lock can hit as high as 1000 psi. It takes a special cooler for that high PSI or it will blow out the cooler . GM is rated for that high pressure spike as well as one other american made radiator. Not sure at what pressure Mishimoto checks there coolers

Mishimoto MMRAD-C6-05 Performance Aluminum Radiator Compatible With Chevrolet Corvette 2005-2013​

It fits and it works.
I'm having issues getting it to fit. What did you do to get it to fit? Cap anything?

There are cheap aluminum radiators that have the proper fittings on both sides. What is your fitment issue? If you got a radiator with screw in lines the xlr hasvquick connect. No one makes an adapter.

It fits and it works.
I'm having issues getting it to fit. What did you do to get it to fit? Cap anything
There are cheap aluminum radiators that have the proper fittings on both sides. What is your fitment issue? If you got a radiator with screw in lines the xlr hasvquick connect. No one makes an adapter.
The driver side radiator Post has the hook ups for the transmission cooler or Power steering cooler. But for the cooling it only has the top hook up, not one on the bottom of the post but the passenger side has all hook ups. I have an 07. I can take a Pic if that helps.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back