Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Radio upgrade

BobbyT

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Might be nuts to do this, but has anyone successfully upgraded their radio. It would be nice to have phone capabilities.
Thanks, in advance
BobbyT

When you say phone capabilities, you want it just from the radio not OnStar?

Search APP RADIO on this site. Detailed instructions are there. Several people have installed aftermarket radios.

I read a lot of threads on this site about changing out the radio, then went to a local high end car radio shop and got a price range of $750-800. I'd lose the HU radio station and cd # display and they would replace the textured aluminum trim around the radio with black plastic (made me wonder how skilled they were). Also, no B/U camera. So, I thought, before I spring for $800, I have nothing to lose by trying an FM transmitter. I found a Victsing model BH346A for under $25 (!) on Amazon. It was a $25 experiment worth doing. I installed the unit a few days ago (simply plug into lighter). Sound quality is very good. No static (al least not during a 4-hr ride through the Finger Lakes of Upstate NY). Works with tablets and phones (via Bluetooth or with the supplied wire). The manual says it also accepts up to 32 GB flash drives (although I tried one 32 GB 3.0 flash drive and the unit would not recognize it - it did recognize an 8 GB drive). The Bluetooth phone connection seems to work as well although I doubt it would be adequate with the top down. Of course, it doesn't have GPS (but we all have phones, right?) Bottom line is, I saved $775, didn't have to risk someone operating on my dash and regretting the look afterwards, I still have an unaltered HU display, and the car is still all original (important to me). If music is the reason you want to upgrade the radio (as opposed to adding GPS, back-up camera or other functionality), this may be a reasonable alternative for you.

You can also look in to the USA Spec BT45-VETTE adapter if you have an XM radio in your XLR.
It adds Bluetooth streaming and includes a hands free bluetooth mic, works with your stock radio.

Just ordered one. Figured not much to lose. Just wondering if an external speaker can be used. 95% of the time the top is down. No winters or rain days
Thank for your input
Bob T in Whitesboro NY

Just ordered one. Figured not much to lose. Just wondering if an external speaker can be used. 95% of the time the top is down. No winters or rain days
Thank for your input
Bob T in Whitesboro NY

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry