Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

remove battery for winter ?

lextoy

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Liquid Amethyst
anyone remove their battery for the winter to charge it ?
any ill effects on the electronics or programming of the car ?
it is much warmer in my basement than in my garage and easier to keep tabs on the battery.
i guess same effect as removing battery when replacing with a new one correct?
no voltage resets everything? so is there any difference when no voltage is 4 months instead of 15 minutes ???
what would need to be reset...
clock, radio settings, seat settings, window indexing,
my biggest concern is the top programming... does it need to be reset by dealer or anything?
my top works perfect now, dont want to mess it up.

also didnt want to charge the battery in the car as the maintainer/charger has all sorts of different smart charging cycles.
fluctuation of amperage, voltage , frequency, float phase, desulphation etc.
i dont know what micro pulses of high voltage could do to the onboard computers that never seem to really be off.
its supposed to be a leave on forever automatic charger. but the fancy modes it automatically uses could be dangerous.
batteryminder 12248.

I use a batteryminder with no issues from the special cycles for years and leave the battery connected. I hook it up and forget it. I periodically look to see if the lights are on on the minder.

After not having a battery connected for weeks while mine was in the body shop the roof or radio setting were problems. Windows will need to be re-taught and I think the engine seemed to need some re-learning.

Memory Saver

Before they replaced my ailing battery (from sitting over 7 weeks without a battery tender), the shop hooked up a widget called a "Memory Saver" to the OBD port. It provided enough power to maintain the settings while the battery was being swapped out. After "Ol' Yella Top" was installed, they disconnected the Memory Saver and everything worked perfectly. :thumbsup

I found out that we had inadvertently left a fob within about 15 feet of the car, while we were gone, and it must have caused the parasitic drain so frequently mentioned here. :( We have left the car sit for over 6 weeks before, with no ill results, but the fob was always locked in a safe about 50 feet away.

Now, I'm off to get a tender of some kind. :banghead:

Tim

Had no problems,,,,

Now, I'm off to get a tender of some kind. :banghead:

Tim

p475.jpg

We have 3 cars and a boat on the BatteryTenderPlus models for several years, with no problems with electronics......fully automatic. They must be good as demand has caused the purchase price to 'double' since buying our chargers...

Yes after I left mine and told my sis to drive her several times a month. The lat time she tried to start my xlr. It wouldn't turn over. So soon after that I bought a tender.
I think lexoy would be better to by a battery tender/trickle charger. Then have the headache of reprogramming everything once winter ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also didnt want to charge the battery in the car as the maintainer/charger has all sorts of different smart charging cycles.
fluctuation of amperage, voltage , frequency, float phase, desulphation etc.
i dont know what micro pulses of high voltage could do to the onboard computers that never seem to really be off.
its supposed to be a leave on forever automatic charger. but the fancy modes it automatically uses could be dangerous.
batteryminder 12248.

Provided the lead/acid battery is connected in parallel, it will absorb the pulses. One of the functions of the battery is to mop up noise and spikes in ordinary driving. This is why it is important to ensure the battery terminals are making good contact (when connecting any charger). (Poor terminal contact will make starting difficult too.)

Provided the lead/acid battery is connected in parallel, it will absorb the pulses. One of the functions of the battery is to mop up noise and spikes in ordinary driving. This is why it is important to ensure the battery terminals are making good contact (when connecting any charger). (Poor terminal contact will make starting difficult too.)
Agree. AGM batteries also have a huge capacitance factor for filtering.

Key Fob draining? Never heard of that one until now.:thumbsup

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back