Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Replace front shocks - query re top plate and electrical connector

xlrlist01

Seasoned Member
Hello all

I've read many (all?) of the posts on changing the shocks and am left with a bunch of small questions, if anyone can oblige:

1/ Where is the electrical connector on the front shocks?
2/ How do you get the top off the shock? Is it necessary to use circlip pliers to squeeze the plate in a bit and then lift it up vertically? (I can slide it from side to side easily enough, but it doesn't release when I do this)
3/ The w/s manual expects me to use the official spring compressor (which I don't have). Given it also calls out using a coil spring compressor, I'm guessing Cadillac didn't review the text carefully (the tool's number and drawing are correct). However, it seems to me that this shouldn't really be necessary, in the past (on other vehicles with shocks) I have simply supported the suspension from underneath and taken the load off the shock (which often provides the limit to downward travel). I note the w/s manual only uses the spring compressor when fitting the new shock, this seems doubtful, I would expect to have to use one (if needed at all) to both take tension off the old shock and hold a suitable extension when fitting the new one.

TIA

to unplug the front shocks you just pull away the little lip connector and unplug the wire. That leaves a 90 degree connector on top of the shock. Press the wirecirclip and lift the connector off the shock. The wire runs across the connector and is spring loaded so a little push releases it.

to unplug the front shocks you just pull away the little lip connector and unplug the wire. That leaves a 90 degree connector on top of the shock. Press the wirecirclip and lift the connector off the shock. The wire runs across the connector and is spring loaded so a little push releases it.

Thanks Long Tall Sally. I guess we all make silly mistakes from time to time and this week it is my turn. I'm not looking at the top of the shock!! Which leaves the question, what am I looking at? (Just curious). If you move about a foot nearer the front of your X, on top of the chassis member, there is a grey thing with the clip I describe on top of it (a sort of oval horse-shoe shaped clip). Any idea what it is?

Moving swiftly on, now looking at the top of the shock:

1/ Is it a good idea to move the coolant header tank out of the way (on the driver's side)
2/ What will I find when I pull the plug off the top of the shock? Does it connect electrically? (I get the disconnection of the wiring harness)
3/ Any advice re not needing the spring compressor is welcome too

TIA

I will send you some photos and tell you how I do it in a PM. here too many people have too many ways and my way works for me but may not work for someone else.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom