Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Retained accessory power issue

B

BoughtTheXLR

When I installed my Parrot Mki9100, I ran across an odd problem. The lighter and console power sockets didn't turn off when they should, which is when the doors are opened after shutting off the car. Instead, they stayed on until the 20-minute whole-car-shutdown timer elapsed.

At first, this was diagnosed as a stuck relay. But upon further examination, the car failed the final step of the procedure for diagnosing a Retained Access Power Malfunction, and the service manual said it was time for a new BCM. (This is because the BCM was failing to shut down the aux power relay when the door opened).

Curiously, a 2004 that was at the dealership at the time appeared to have the same problem. And, now that the new BCM has been installed, the car still fails the test leading to a "replace the BCM" result.

Well, it's pretty unlikely that 3 BCM's were all bad hardware-wise, and that the real problem is that the BCM firmware has a bug. Round 1 of my dealer's taking the issue up the line got back an answer of 'It's supposed to work that way'.

I've explained to my service manager that I don't accept that answer, and expect GM to either conclude that there is a firmware bug, or explain why 2 different BCM's fail the diagnostic procedure in the manual. We'll see what happens.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom