Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Retractable License Plate Kit

vintageracer65

California is one of the states where front license plates are required. Has anyone installed one of the Hid-a-plate type assemblies to comply with the law (while driving), but leaves the front of the XLR undamaged and, more importantly, still uncluttered (at rest)? What, if any, problems or suggestions would you have to another owner who seeks to try one of these aftermarket assemblies?

I think Beepen has one on his Black Cherry. It does really clean up the front of the car. Ohio requires front plates as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retractable License plate Kit

California is one of the states where front license plates are required. Has anyone installed one of the Hid-a-plate type assemblies to comply with the law (while driving), but leaves the front of the XLR undamaged and, more importantly, still uncluttered (at rest)? What, if any, problems or suggestions would you have to another owner who seeks to try one of these aftermarket assemblies?
I am in NH and we also have to have a front plate the really looks awful! Where do I get one of these?
William

My buddy who does a lot of work on my cars for me talked me into the electric version. I'll have it in a few days and will install and report on how well it works.
Its on sale at the moment...I paid only around $125 for the electric one. Not sure how long the sale is on...

Finally Got it Working...

I bought this retractable license plate holder from West Coast Corvette.
Its kind of rickety, and came with the cable cut, so I had to buy some fishing leader wire and re-do it. Also, the hardware pack was incomplet so I had to use my own mounting screws.
But, in the end, it works...for now...

YouTube

I had one on my 04, took it off after one summer. It was the electric one with remote from a local supplier. Just hung down too low and would drag in certain driveway approaches. Bought the car in Chicago, no front plate state. Had no mounting. Ran the plate mounted to the passenger visor until a WSP said it was not good enough. Tried that mount to avoid putting holes in the bumper, but finally just made a mount and screwed it on. Clear covers comply and I carry a copy of the RCW just in case.
b19cd4701b982410bc46bfcdacfbdc98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry