Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Retractible top not working/leaking hydraulic pump burned up

traderricky

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinum XLR
Aloha all,

I have an '05 XLR for about a year now, and it has numerous issues!! about 3 months ago I was trying to raise the top and I got a top pump overheat indication and the top would not go up. A friend of mine is a BMW tech and he tried to assist me in manually putting the top up, but we could not unlock it from the trunk well! The top has been down now for 3 months (fair weather car now!). Can anyone help me find an inexpensive place to either rebuild the pump, or buy a new one?

I also need and A/C compressor, have an valve cover leak, service stabilitrak?, low coolant indicator, and other issues!

IT really needs help, so do I !! Am drinking too much now!!

Where are you located? I have a super mechanic that has helped me with my top and other things too. I live in Delray Beach, Florida.

oops, I just saw your zip code. Sorry, I can't help. There has to be a mechanic in your area that knows stuff. You need to look for someone who can work with your car because there will be other issues. You don't want everything to be an issue. You'll want someone who can take care of your problem(s).

I believe you can to get a refurbished pump and control unit (they’re a single part) from Top Hydraulics in Oregon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I found them...pretty pricey! anyone cheaper??

You live in or near Honolulu, HI 96816 right?

With all of the issues you have listed, and being concerned about 'cheaper parts'.....in my opinion you own the wrong car ,, sorry :bawling:

Probably best to sell or trade-in the car and take your loss now instead of pouring thousand$ more into it and having more issues pop up.

Then,,,,, keep :drink: in your next new ride

fortunately shipping to you is about the same as anywhere else In the USA. PArts are the same cost as anyone else pays. You just might have to wait a few extra days to get them. 500-600 for a rebuilt pump is a good deal no matter what convertible you own and that is about the best price out there sad to say. And you get to enjoy it all year.

Aloha,

I too have had leaking cylinders for my top.

I found Top Hydraulics and being that I'm on the west coast north of Florence, OR I decided to contact them to find out more about their service. After talking to Klaus the owner, I decided to try them out. My initial impression is that they do a great job rebuilding the cylinders and returning them very quickly.

I also asked him about video's for the XLR and he said he was planning on doing one this year. Long story short, I loaned him my car to make video's for us to remove and re-install the cylinders and pump. I still have not seen the final product yet as I'm still waiting to hear from him saying he's done with my car. I'm very hopeful that this will be a solid source for XLR owners around the country to use for those who are able to remove and replace their own.

Still happy customer with Top Hydraulics. Only 1,5 days after order, my pump was in Finland. (middle of nowhere). About 2,5 years ago, and no problems.

UPDATE for leaking pumps.

Top Hydraulics now has a YouTube video for us XLR DIYers for the Pump Removal and Reinstallation.

YouTube

He says the videos for the other 8 cylinders is coming and once he's done, I hope to get my car back!!! :cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom