Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rough ride

firstone

Seasoned Member
My 05 xlr seems to have a rough ride ever since I bought it. Unfortunately, where I am from, there isn't another xlr to drive to compare. It seems that mine is very stiff and not a soft ride as I expected it would or should be. Almost like the shocks are heavy duty or something. Nothing is showing on the DIC to indicate any problems. Any suggestions as to what to look for. Would a Tech 2 detect what may be the problem?
Thanks for any help offered.

Larry

Larry, are you running run-flat tires? Several members here have reported how much rougher they ride, and I can attest to that first hand. I switched out the run-flats, and the difference was stark.

Tim

My 05 xlr seems to have a rough ride ever since I bought it. Unfortunately, where I am from, there isn't another xlr to drive to compare. It seems that mine is very stiff and not a soft ride as I expected it would or should be. Almost like the shocks are heavy duty or something. Nothing is showing on the DIC to indicate any problems. Any suggestions as to what to look for. Would a Tech 2 detect what may be the problem?

Larry

I can s 2nd that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Reconsidering...

Larry

Now I was considering keeping my run-flats so this topic interests me greatly. Is the difference in ride comfort THAT noticable or is the minimal? The lack of a spare or space for a spare kept me wanting to keep the run-flats.

Last edited:
Hi Larry, for a quick/ free check look at the shocks to see if there is any excessive oil on them,they may have some moisture on them which is considered normal?? if one is leaking you'll see the diff. from the others. just an idea? good luck. Al

Larry
I have a 06 and you can't ask for a better ride. I have a few corvette friends and they are amazed at the XLR ride. I'm running stock run flat Pirelli's. I'm thinking if u are considering a XLR ride rough you have some type of problem.
V Happy

Now I was considering keeping my run-flats so this topic interests me greatly. Is the difference in ride comfort THAT noticable or is the minimal? The lack of a spare or space for a spare kept me wanting to keep the run-flats.

There have been several discussions about this topic on the forum... search "runflats" and several threads will come up. I, for one, am quite happy with the ride my runflats give. I drove Madmac's XLR a couple years ago and I really didn't see any large noticeable difference in the ride... it was a minimal difference, at best. I have Michelin runflats on mine...

I have run flats on my 07 and even my wife commented how good the ride was. The first thing I would check is the tire pressure. Make sure it is 30 PSI and not more!

Traditionally we've gotten run flats off anything that had it as soon as we could because of the lousy ride (had a CTS-V1 that was horrible with run flats). We have one XLR with run flats, one without (Michelin non-run flats, Pirelli run flats). The difference in ride between the two cars is pretty small. The run flats are a little rougher, but not so much that we're going to switch to non-run flats, even when it's time for new tires. Definitely NOT what I would have said before the side-by-side comparison.

Considering...

Just to piggy-back on my previous post here. I really don't consider mine to ride rough but I've heard here and there that there's a big difference if you switch you regular tires. And grant it I don't have anything to measure this against so I guess I'll just keep what I have.

XLRating, you are the man....

Traditionally we've gotten run flats off anything that had it as soon as we could because of the lousy ride (had a CTS-V1 that was horrible with run flats). We have one XLR with run flats, one without (Michelin non-run flats, Pirelli run flats). The difference in ride between the two cars is pretty small. The run flats are a little rougher, but not so much that we're going to switch to non-run flats, even when it's time for new tires. Definitely NOT what I would have said before the side-by-side comparison.

THIS is the feedback I was looking for. Someone who can atest to the differences and that deals with it on a daily basis. It may be just me but even if I take someone elses for a spin it really doesn't help me compare because when you drive a strange vehicle they always feel different (not BAD) just different and unless I'm driving it on the regular and one of the vehicles has just a crappy ride I'll never feel the difference in ride comfort. (That's just me, I guess)

when you drive a strange vehicle they always feel different (not BAD) just different and unless I'm driving it on the regular and one of the vehicles has just a crappy ride I'll never feel the difference in ride comfort. (That's just me, I guess)

Madmac's XLR drove exactly as mine, except for a difference in cornering. I had installed the rear sway bar, and Madmac had not done that installation yet. He wanted to drive mine to find the difference that the rear sway bar made (he installed the rear sway bar shortly after) and I wanted to check the difference in ride that the non-runflats made because I was due for new tires. I ended up staying with runflats when I purchased new tires last October.

Another Possibility

Please take a look at this post: https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ard-read-this.html?highlight=shipping+spacers

A few months back in either Car & Driver or Automobile there was a side comment on the new Stingray that in the C6 (probably the same or similiar shocks as the XLR) they used to use the spacers as the metal particles in the fluid for the magnetorheological shock absorbers would lose alignment decreasing shock stiffness and the cars would bounce during shipment with resultant damage. So they put the spacers in. After reading that I wondered if there is a trickle current to the shocks to maintain the charge on the particles in the shock fluid which in turn helps run down the battery. About 14 years ago when I worked for Delphi I saw a demo of the shocks with the current turned off and then on. With it off you could pull the shaft out by hand. With it on you couldn't move it. Also saw early engine stop/start technology which is now commonplace.

Magnetorheological damper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
No run flats

No I don't have run flats on. Bought new Michelins when I bought the car. I will have to check the shocks. Shouldn't the computer be able to tell if the shocks were giving a stiffer ride than what it should be?? Anyways, thanks to everyone for their input.

Madmac's XLR drove exactly as mine, except for a difference in cornering. I had installed the rear sway bar, and Madmac had not done that installation yet. He wanted to drive mine to find the difference that the rear sway bar made (he installed the rear sway bar shortly after) and I wanted to check the difference in ride that the non-runflats made because I was due for new tires. I ended up staying with runflats when I purchased new tires last October.

Cadillac Tech (Bruce) also made a convincing commentary to me about what kind of front end damage you risk if a tire goes out & you don't have run flats. I think it's worse on XLR's because they are so low. Anyway, that + no real ride difference was enough for me to plan on getting run flats when the XLR that doesn't have them now is due for new tires.

No I don't have run flats on. Bought new Michelins when I bought the car. I will have to check the shocks. Shouldn't the computer be able to tell if the shocks were giving a stiffer ride than what it should be?? Anyways, thanks to everyone for their input.

NO it will not I had a hard tug noise every time I would go over bridge splits, manholes ect.... Ended up being drivers shock was leaking oil and bottoming out, the computer did not recognize it at all, replaced both of the front. You must keep in mind your not going to get that floating ride like in a lager long wheel base car because of the short wheel base and because they set so low, I understand from others that owned Corvette say our XLR's ride is better, but I never had compared a ride between them! Hope this helps!
Just to let you know these shocks are about $1050. Each, but I bought mine (2011) from GMpartsdirect.com for $520 each free shipping! The Magnetic Ride makes them that expensive they say!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Let me amplify on my previous post. I went from 18" non-run-flat Pirelli PzeroNero (235/50 profile) tires on the stock base rims, to the 19" "V" rims running the Pirelli run-flats. The combination of the run-flats, and the wider/lower-profile 19" tires made the ride much harsher. It was immediately noticeable. I switched out the run-flats to the Michelin A/S3's (255/40/19 on all 4) non-run-flats, and the ride noticeably softened again, but not to the point where the 18" Pirelli non-run-flats had been. For reference, I like to run 31 psi all the way around.

I'm very happy with the swap to the "V" rims. The car seems to handle even better, and it looks great. (Thanks, AirMike!) :wave:

Tim

Just to piggy-back on my previous post here. I really don't consider mine to ride rough but I've heard here and there that there's a big difference if you switch you regular tires. And grant it I don't have anything to measure this against so I guess I'll just keep what I have.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan

NO it will not I had a hard tug noise every time I would go over bridge splits, manholes ect.... Ended up being drivers shock was leaking oil and bottoming out, the computer did not recognize it at all, replaced both of the front. You must keep in mind your not going to get that floating ride like in a lager long wheel base car because of the short wheel base and because they set so low, I understand from others that owned Corvette say our XLR's ride is better, but I never had compared a ride between them! Hope this helps!
Just to let you know these shocks are about $1050. Each, but I bought mine (2011) from GMpartsdirect.com for $520 each free shipping! The Magnetic Ride makes them that expensive they say!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I'm kind of surprised that the computer wouldn't detect a shock problem but I guess that's the way it is. I'll have to check air pressure (think they are OK though) and check for leakage on the shocks. Maybe this summer I will get to meet someone with an xlr and see if there is a difference. Thanks for the info on shock prices (cheap little devils aren't they!!)

I'm kind of surprised that the computer wouldn't detect a shock problem but I guess that's the way it is. I'll have to check air pressure (think they are OK though) and check for leakage on the shocks. Maybe this summer I will get to meet someone with an xlr and see if there is a difference. Thanks for the info on shock prices (cheap little devils aren't they!!)
Mine developed a rough ride. I remembered a good ride earlier. I went through all the research. Finally took it to a shop after 6 months. Turned out the drivers side rear shock had seized up. The mechanic said this is common on these shocks. You can easly tell on yours. Just go outside and push down on all 4 corners of the car. You will know immediately if one is seized.i replaced the rear shocks and it rides like a Cadillac again. I should not have a rough ride. My computer did not show any problems either.

Sounds expensive

Mine developed a rough ride. I remembered a good ride earlier. I went through all the research. Finally took it to a shop after 6 months. Turned out the drivers side rear shock had seized up. The mechanic said this is common on these shocks. You can easly tell on yours. Just go outside and push down on all 4 corners of the car. You will know immediately if one is seized.i replaced the rear shocks and it rides like a Cadillac again. I should not have a rough ride. My computer did not show any problems either.

Sounds like I might have to spend some bucks on shocks. I will check it out.
Thanks for the info.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back