Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Run Flats (AGAIN - sorry) for the V

newv

Seasoned Member
Well it's been about a year and a half since the last run-flat thread so forgive me for starting this up again but I am wondering if anyone has any new experience.

My wife wants the run flats. Is that enough to head off the discussion of how bad they are? I am still holding out the potential to go with regular tires but let's assume for a moment that's off the table.

Has anyone found a model of Run Flats they can live with?

In my thread search you all have convinced me to go with same size all around 255/45/19 (thanks!).

We live in New Mexico and drive the XLR-V year round, so that means many drives below 32 deg F and occasional unpredictable snow that can catch you - thus I'd like an all season tire - not a summer only (I will forgo the extra stick at the track).

It seems the only options I found are:
1) The Goodyear Efficient Grip - which is a summer tire and has horrible reviews for traction and sidewall failure
2) The Pirelli Winter Sotozoro - which may be too much of a compromise for year round driving in our warm seasons - plus no tread life/traction/temp rating (is this not required on "winter" tires?)
3) The Continental Conti Sport Contact 5SSR - which is a summer tires with low life rating (280)
4) The Pirelli P0 - Summer tire not to be used below 45 degrees F and a 220 life rating
And finally
5) The Dunlap SP Sport 5000 - which has the great combo of highest cost ($400+) and worse reviews than even the Goodyear for sidewall failure and reliability.

I realize I've just summarized what you all can find on the Tire Rack and Discount Tire web sites, but is this it? Am I missing some options or are some of the choices above better than I am portraying? It looks bleak - any real world experience would be appreciated!

I needed and changed tires last fall on my XLR-V and opted to go with non-run flats for two reasons. First and foremost was the ability to find a performance run flat in the size needed and secondly, thinking of being on the road and having a tire fail; even if you made it to somewhere with the run flat to get a replacement. What are the chances some small town shop would have the run flat in stock in the size you need. If you have a flat with a non run flat, you either call OnStar or AAA (if you have either one) and get a flatbed to take you in for a replacement.

I opted for Continental Extreme Contact DWS06--an all weather performance tire in the 255/40ZR19 size on all four corners. So far the ride is superb and no issues with about 1,500 mile on them. There are others on here that have done the same. HTH!!

Well it's been about a year and a half since the last run-flat thread so forgive me for starting this up again but I am wondering if anyone has any new experience.

My wife wants the run flats. Is that enough to head off the discussion of how bad they are? I am still holding out the potential to go with regular tires but let's assume for a moment that's off the table.

Has anyone found a model of Run Flats they can live with?

In my thread search you all have convinced me to go with same size all around 255/45/19 (thanks!).

We live in New Mexico and drive the XLR-V year round, so that means many drives below 32 deg F and occasional unpredictable snow that can catch you - thus I'd like an all season tire - not a summer only (I will forgo the extra stick at the track).

It seems the only options I found are:
1) The Goodyear Efficient Grip - which is a summer tire and has horrible reviews for traction and sidewall failure
2) The Pirelli Winter Sotozoro - which may be too much of a compromise for year round driving in our warm seasons - plus no tread life/traction/temp rating (is this not required on "winter" tires?)
3) The Continental Conti Sport Contact 5SSR - which is a summer tires with low life rating (280)
4) The Pirelli P0 - Summer tire not to be used below 45 degrees F and a 220 life rating
And finally
5) The Dunlap SP Sport 5000 - which has the great combo of highest cost ($400+) and worse reviews than even the Goodyear for sidewall failure and reliability.

I realize I've just summarized what you all can find on the Tire Rack and Discount Tire web sites, but is this it? Am I missing some options or are some of the choices above better than I am portraying? It looks bleak - any real world experience would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Cubby - good point on the repair/replace - I've been thinking about that false sense of security, great if you are near home but bad if you are on the road.

I typoed my post - my intent was to go with the original rear size 255/40/19 not 45. Did you go for the increased width of the 45 on the Conti's? I am very interested in that tire if we give up on the run flats - which I'm not yet! (my wife will be reading the post soon).

Typo

Typo as well. I was going by what you posted. I have too many vehicles to try and remember every tire size each one has. Just replaced tires on an SHO with the same tire, different size.:lol: You may also want to consider the Michelin Pilot Sport, as I think they make an all season version too.

Cubby - good point on the repair/replace - I've been thinking about that false sense of security, great if you are near home but bad if you are on the road.

I typoed my post - my intent was to go with the original rear size 255/40/19 not 45. Did you go for the increased width of the 45 on the Conti's? I am very interested in that tire if we give up on the run flats - which I'm not yet! (my wife will be reading the post soon).

Last edited:

I opted for Continental Extreme Contact DWS06--an all weather performance tire in the 255/40ZR19 size on all four corners. So far the ride is superb and no issues with about 1,500 mile on them. There are others on here that have done the same. HTH!!

Plan on drive the X in the snow Cubby?? :laugh:

I don't plan on driving either of my Cadillac V's in the snow; however one year I left in late March for the 12 Hours of Sebring in Florida; and the night before we got 3" of slushy stuff. I almost didn't make it out of the driveway in the CTS-V. Once I got to the Interstate, it was just wet roads. The all-season tires were also a lot cheaper and have better wet handling than high performance (summer only) tires.

Plan on drive the X in the snow Cubby?? :laugh:

the run flat options are so bad, its really not worth the extra sense of security...
( it is just a sense, cuz if it goes flat you still have to deal with it)
the car has the tpms system which is reassuring, and will catch any issue before she can hurt the car or herself.
and most insurance co have towing option.
so literally help is a phone call away.
and any local station will plug a tire in 5 minutes for 15 dollars.

probably never have an issue anyway.

i got the DWS on my 535i , absolutely love them.
they will go on the xlr when the time comes.

also of note the run flats are terrible performance AND terrible with noise and comfort.
the DWS are quiet and ride like a dream.
makes a big difference in a luxury car, like the xlr.

i forgot to mention...
you could look at dropping down to 18 inch rims, after market or from a XLR base or platinum.
that gives you more options with tires, plus the 18 is a little less prone to damage/failure than the 19 would be.
i personally really like the 15 spoke wheels on my platinum.
if it has to be run flats, a different wheel may also be more pleasing to her eye, and the 18 isnt enough of a difference to disappoint
aesthetically.

Another benefit to 18's on all 4s is that Bridgestone Drive Guards (run flats) are available, and have gotten good reviews from members here. You can rotate them, too. I only put 3500 mi a year on mine and rotate every year, fronts have more load. Evens out the wear.

That being said, I echo Cubby's comments. I also have the Conti DSW 06's and have been very good tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good ideas lextoy and nerkpowers, I hadn't realized the 18" would offer up a few more options. I ended up keeping the 19s and going to a standard tire - same size all around (255/40/19). We are going to see if living w/o runflats is OK, probably to be determined by where and when the first flat happens, and then I might be looking at those Bridgestones in 18.

I went with the Pirelli All Season Plus, and I must say the ride is definitely much better than the Euforia run flats. It really took the harshness out of all the bumps in the road, my wife thought this was such an improvement she's pretty happy about the switch now.

Tire Rack did a nice test on the DWSs, th All Season Plus, and the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3. Didn't seem like you could go wrong with any of those tires and a number of people were very happy with the DWSs in addition to you all. So I'll be the Pirelli guinea pig. I might take this car to the track once a year - so that won't be my judgement weighting. Hoping they wear well. I'll keep folks posted. Thanks again for all the advice and ideas.

No thanks to the run-flats!

When my XLR-V arrived in early May, I had 4 bald tires to replace. After the shock of run-flat prices wore off, I went with an H-rated set of ContiProContacts in the correct sizes (front and back). I suppose I will have to squeeze some sealant and/or compressed air in the trunk.:thumbsup

Last edited:
Hey Nerkpowers thanks for the compressor kit link, need to get that on order. What exactly is the latex sealant - are you saying that is approved "slime" to plug a leak? Everyone has mentioned how much trouble sealant causes the TPSs and tire repair in general - but this stuff is OK? That's awfully handy. I think the plug kit is a good idea too, practicing a few repairs on an old tire would be in order.

MarkO - My shock on runflats came when they said you can't repair them, even from a simple nail! I found a list that detailed which run flat mfg "allowed" repairs, under what conditions, and which did not. The original Pirelli's were a "do not". Yet another reason why their benefits are pretty shallow.

There are no guarantees, but the latex creates a thin barrier and seals the leak as opposed to the foaming kind. I posted a link to a Consumer Reports article on sealants that I posted previously. The link to my post is below. I had to post the entire article because you can only read part if it if you don't have s subscription

12 V Tire Inflator

12 V Tire Inflator - - Cadillac XLR Forum - Cadillac XLR and Cadillac XLR-V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Nerkpowers - appreciate that full consumer reports article.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom