Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Running lamp bulb replacement BIG $$$$

Rule62

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Sable Black XLR/V
So my ride is in for a ton of warranty work this week and I asked my service writer to replace the tiny inboard and outboard lamps in the passenger side array figuring it might be a $50 fix. Yeah, not so much.

They called today to confirm and told me the cost to replace those bulbs would be $365. FOR TWO LITTLE BULBS??? Come on. She said they have to disassemble part of the bumper to get to them!

Has anyone ran into this problem? What do those lights really do? They seem too small to be markers and way to dim to light anything up. I just don't get it!! :dunno:

I have changed the bulbs many times... I wouldn't say its necessarily quick and easy, and it does take a little work... whether its worth $300 is probably up to you...

Essentially you have to turn the wheel inwards, and then remove several screws towards the top of the splash guard to get access to the lamp assembly... there are 3 nuts holding the assembly in... once they are remove the entire assembly comes out and you access all the bulbs.

Its probably about 5 to 10 mins worth of work if you've done it before... or maybe half-an-hour if you've never done it before...

I think the service manual has the tech jacking up the car, removing the wheel entirely, then removing the splash shield in its entirety, to get to the lamp assembly - which is certainly much more work.

Last edited:
I'll second Richard's post. Takes less than 30 minutes to remove the whole headlight assembly so you can get to the bulbs. The procedure is outlined somewhere on the forum, probably could search and find it. Stock bulbs are standard incandescent bulbs you can get at any auto supply. I replaced mine with LEDs which I think look better and are a closer match the color temperature of the headlights.

I'll second Richard's post. Takes less than 30 minutes to remove the whole headlight assembly so you can get to the bulbs. The procedure is outlined somewhere on the forum, probably could search and find it. Stock bulbs are standard incandescent bulbs you can get at any auto supply. I replaced mine with LEDs which I think look better and are a closer match the color temperature of the headlights.

Thank you both. I'll have a look at it. I don't exactly have the smallest hands, but maybe taking the tire off is a good idea. I'll search the site for a detailed procedure.

I appreciate the input. :thumbsup

Rule62,

FYI I would like to add something about jacking up the car.

I have owned many special cars over the years and the XLR is the first car that I was not able to jack up the front while the wheels are on the ground and I have low profile floor jacks.

Look at your owners manual for the jacking points. You do not jack up these cars on the side sills as most cars, there is no provision for side sill jacking.

I was able to jack up the back by going in under the back of the car but the front sets to low to go in under the front.

What worked for me was to run the car up onto car ramps, which you have to be careful they don't move, and then you can get to the jacking points from the front of the car.

Maybe someone has a better method of jacking up the XLR but this worked for me.

You can really damage your car if you are not careful.

Here is a previous post that has a detailed description of the proper lift points.
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/2971-xlr-lifting.html#post6083
Note, the graphics did not show on the previous post so I re-attached the lifting diagram for the C6 corvette, which is the same fame as ours. Also some commentary about lifting pucks which might be helpful.
3ceb42646d015ece90aaf0ff18f1da0a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rule62,

FYI I would like to add something about jacking up the car.

I have owned many special cars over the years and the XLR is the first car that I was not able to jack up the front while the wheels are on the ground and I have low profile floor jacks.

Look at your owners manual for the jacking points. You do not jack up these cars on the side sills as most cars, there is no provision for side sill jacking.

I was able to jack up the back by going in under the back of the car but the front sets to low to go in under the front.

What worked for me was to run the car up onto car ramps, which you have to be careful they don't move, and then you can get to the jacking points from the front of the car.

Maybe someone has a better method of jacking up the XLR but this worked for me.

You can really damage your car if you are not careful.

I found this in the Owners Manual. I don't think my jack is low enough to get under the car to the lift point's.

~

Attachments

• XLR OM 6-67.jpg
    XLR OM 6-67.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 810

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC