Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

sensor

josua

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Raven Black xlr 2009 sts4
I've asked this question before. The roof on my 04 works fine up and down. But when I try to just open the "trunk", nothing happens, just kind of clicks, then after a short time it clicks again. I've looked through the service manual and can't find anything about this problem. Somebody on this forum, I think, had the same problem. Pretty sure he said the sensor on the drivers side linkage was bad. Problem is, does anybody know the part number for this?

I had that problem couple of years ago. I used my TECH II but I'd have to go back to see what I actually did.

Doesn't make sense that a sensor is bad because the trunk uses that same sensor for the retractable top process and you said that works fine. Do you have the same issue with opening your trunk with all 3 methods, the remote button, the button on the dash and by inserting the key in the rear bumper trunk release and turning it? If you have a good battery and all 3 ways yield the same result and it only happens when raising the trunk you might want to get a scanner hooked up to it.

Five ways to open the trunk. You can you the retractable top switch to open it, and there is also a touch pad above the license plate. Sensor could be going bad or out of range. Best bet is having a Tech II hooked up and see what is going on.

Doesn't make sense that a sensor is bad because the trunk uses that same sensor for the retractable top process and you said that works fine. Do you have the same issue with opening your trunk with all 3 methods, the remote button, the button on the dash and by inserting the key in the rear bumper trunk release and turning it? If you have a good battery and all 3 ways yield the same result and it only happens when raising the trunk you might want to get a scanner hooked up to it.

The dash switch, the one on the trunk lid and the remote have the same result. Haven't tried the key. When this started, I could hear the trunk unlatch and relatch. Now it just kind of clicks. Haven't found anything in the service manual specifically for the trunk. I haven't had a chance yet to hook up the tech. If I remember that post right, he said that when you put the top up, it bypasses that micro switch? Can't be the latch or it wouldn't work when you put the top up. Also, I've read its not a good idea to stop the roof cycle in mid-stream.

BTW rexter, did you actually fix it or did you just luck out? LOL

It could be your trunk latch. Try the key the bumper. If it raises the trunk when you turn the key, it most likely is the trunk latch. Had this happen on my 06 V and that was the only way I could open the trunk. Partition in the trunk was down when it happened, so I could put the top down either.

BTW, I never had a top problem with either XLR I've owned, stopping it in mid cycle. Best way to clean the back glass inside!

The dash switch, the one on the trunk lid and the remote have the same result. Haven't tried the key. When this started, I could hear the trunk unlatch and relatch. Now it just kind of clicks. Haven't found anything in the service manual specifically for the trunk. I haven't had a chance yet to hook up the tech. If I remember that post right, he said that when you put the top up, it bypasses that micro switch? Can't be the latch or it wouldn't work when you put the top up. Also, I've read its not a good idea to stop the roof cycle in mid-stream.

cubby, you misunderstand me. When I put the top up or down, everything works fine. Its when I try to "just" open the trunk it doesn't work.

cubby, you misunderstand me. When I put the top up or down, everything works fine. Its when I try to "just" open the trunk it doesn't work.

That's what happened in my case. I'm thinking I did a top relearn and that fixed it. Top worked fine, up, down. Try to open just the trunk and no work.
And I think if you start using the top control switch on the console, you'll fritz up the cycling of the folding top. Nowhere in the manual states that you can use the FTC switch to open/close the trunk

I'm going to try the relearn this weekend if I get the chance.

I understand you completely. I'm trying to help you out. All you have to do is try the key in the bumper, if the trunk opens, I'm telling you it is your latch. It happened to me on a trip and that was the only way to open the trunk. I couldn't even try to use the top switch, as the partition was down in the trunk and full of luggage. No other options would open the trunk, but you could hear it trying.

Will try the key this weekend. Out of town right now. Will let you know.

Trunk still doesn't work

Finally got back in town. As I posted before, putting the top up or down, everything works great. When I try to just open the trunk, the dash switch, key fob or switch above the license plate, just a couple of "clicks". When I try the key in the back bumper, it does absolutely nothing. No clicks or anything. Tech II shows everytning's good for the roof up or down.

there is a small sensor/switch located on the drivers side of the top linkage. is in the trunk behind the felt/carpet cover on the left hand side. attached to the top linkage
its basically and open/close sensor that lets the system know if the linkage is closed or open. I have been having the same problem. i fiddled with the carpet and must have disturbed the switch. Apparently it can get bent easily ,
you can check it with an ohm reading to make sure the switch opens and closes. you may have to bend the prong a little to make an adjustment.
I dont know the part number.. i wish i did because id like to purchase a new switch as mine gives me issues and i have to fiddle with it aften to get the system to work properly.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back