Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

SERVICE CONTRACTS

bugsy

Which after market used car warranty (service contract) is the best all around buy????Taking into consideration,Price,Efectiveness,Ease of use,Least hassle at the dealer's service center??????
I'm going to buy a 05 XLR with low 28000 miles and got a quote from Endurance for $3200 for their bottom tier plan(which I don't want) and over $4000 for their top tier plan...Must have car inspected by certified mechanic
Delta quoted me $2200 for their best plan (premier platinum) 5 years,50000 miles...Must wait 1 month and 1000 miles before using..

Anyone have experience with ant companys warrantys they would like to share???
Any recommendations???? Thanks.....bugsy

I'm not a big fan of "After Market" warranty - These are insurance companies that are betting you will not use it or you will sell car before expiry. Lets face it they are in the business to make money and they will do everything in their power to not payout ( you have to be a lawyer to read 3 pages of fine print attached to contract).

Trust me my wife used to sell this snake oil at several dealerships she had worked at over the years until she started working for the Local GM dealer in our area, and they will not sell any aftermarket warranties due to the BS the customers go through to make a claim.

Maybe its like that just in Canada ?

My advise would be regular maintenance and if **** breaks - fix it - don't wait

Enjoy

warrantys

everything you say is mostly true...however,I had one on my mercury and used it several times and saved a lot of money.....My concern is that I'm buying a used car....Repairs on an XLR can be very expensive....A motor or transmission would break the bank....I know there are some decent warrantys out there.....I'm asking for some of the good ones.From peoples personal experiences.....

I got my X in Oct 14 and at time of purchase after much haggling I caved. I bought a GM protection plan Major guard by Ally auto. Well today it almost paid for it self when I had my local dealer replace the leaking hydraulic lines for the top. Total cost out of my pocket was the deductible $200 not sure what repair cost would of been without it. I own an 09 which had 31k at time of purchase. These cars are not cheap to repair or maintain....Good Luck

We have USAA for the base, Zurich for the V (because USAA won't cover the V). USAA has put out more than we paid for it already. Dealer recommended Zurich as being easy for them to work with.

Be sure whatever you get covers gaskets & seals in the engine, advice from our dealer. Often convertible tops aren't covered either.

Shop around, if you get something sold by a dealer they have a LOT of leeway in pricing.

Until I researched out these cars I 110% agreed that these contracts were a total rip off. I still consider them that for a lot of things - but not for complex, highly computerized cars like these.

Agreed

I got my X in Oct 14 and at time of purchase after much haggling I caved. I bought a GM protection plan Major guard by Ally auto. Well today it almost paid for it self when I had my local dealer replace the leaking hydraulic lines for the top. Total cost out of my pocket was the deductible $200 not sure what repair cost would of been without it. I own an 09 which had 31k at time of purchase. These cars are not cheap to repair or maintain....Good Luck

I purchased an after market when I got my 09, haven't the car long enough to see if it pays off but I wanted the peace of mind :lol:. Guess we will see what happens the first time I take it in for service. On the plus side, I can cancel for a full refund during the first 60 days. After that I can get a prorated refund for the unused portion.

USAA

We have USAA for the base, Zurich for the V (because USAA won't cover the V). USAA has put out more than we paid for it already. Dealer recommended Zurich as being easy for them to work with.

Be sure whatever you get covers gaskets & seals in the engine, advice from our dealer. Often convertible tops aren't covered either.

Shop around, if you get something sold by a dealer they have a LOT of leeway in pricing.

Until I researched out these cars I 110% agreed that these contracts were a total rip off. I still consider them that for a lot of things - but not for complex, highly computerized cars like these.

I usually swear by USAA, I have them for almost everything. I had them for my 08 CTS but the didn't cover the stabilitrack. I had to replace 3 out of 4 sensors out of pocket. The warranty I had now says they will cover the stabilitrack plus the top sensors. We will see if they put there money where there mouth is if the time comes.

warrantys

Thanks for the feedback...I'm going to buy one but,not sure which....I think it's cheaper to buy it on my own rather than through a dealer......Any of you that have one,can you give me an idea how much you paid....

I was spefically thinking about the roof when I decided I need to buy a servicecontract...

Anyone have Delta?????So,far their price seems lower than most..

I will check out Ally and Zurich..Thanks for those...What did they cost???

More questions

It seems that both Ally and Zurich have to be bought through the dealer.....What if I buy the car from an owner???

Anyone have experience buying direct??

Will a Cadillac dealer sell me the GM major guard from Ally if I didn't buy the car from them???

First mile

It seems that both Ally and Zurich have to be bought through the dealer.....What if I buy the car from an owner???

Will a Cadillac dealer sell me the GM major guard from Ally if I didn't buy the car from them???

Not sure about that. The one I have is from First mile warranty. The dealership wanted to sell me the gold plus but in reading it the gold plus didn't cover the stabilitrack sensors (I ran into that issue with my USAA extended warranty) nor did it cover the sensors for the top, only the convertible top motor. The platinum covered everything just like the original warranty. I do have a $50 deductible. It wasn't cheap, over $4500 but for 48 months or 48k miles I thought it was ok. Like I said earlier, peace of mind is important to me, especially sense I am not mechanically inclined :dunno:

I usually swear by USAA, I have them for almost everything. I had them for my 08 CTS but the didn't cover the stabilitrack. I had to replace 3 out of 4 sensors out of pocket. The warranty I had now says they will cover the stabilitrack plus the top sensors. We will see if they put there money where there mouth is if the time comes.

You might need to worry more about oil leaks - I had three of them - that plus replacing the gear shifter cost $4,500 (mostly labor) & I paid $0 as the USAA warranty covered all.

Don't think who you buy from or when makes a difference - we bought the V with help from a used car dealer (a friend) & two years later a Cadillac dealer referred us to a different used car dealer (who used to be a Lincoln dealer) to buy the Zurich warranty. :dunno: Sounds crazy but it all worked out. There are some vehicle age & mileage limits that can disqualify you, depending on who you go with. I think most won't give you coverage if the car is 10+ years old no matter what.

Glad I have my Zurich warranty. So far it has paid for itself. I've had a heater problem, a shift cable break , a gas door cable break and now the engine light came on the other day. Because of this recent problem I was supposed to be in a caravan drive to a restaurant in Flagler beach today. But since the light has come on and my service guy said bring it in Monday, since he was swamped and my regular service tech transferred to the other Cadillac dealer. So here I am car is parked in garage. But on a good note it's cloudy with 45-60% chance of rain. The car is dirty as it is anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which warranty do you have now???That covered the stabilitrac and roof sensors???

Which warranty do you have now???That covered the stabilitrac and roof sensors???

I have Zurich. So far they have covered everything. They have covered thermostat gasket and 02 sensors. Right now the car is back in at dealership because of a faulty 02 sensor that they replaced before. So they are warranting it. So far the warranty has been covered for all parts and labor. The car has been in the shop more times in the last couple months this time then ever since I have owned it. The guy that worked on my Xlr before mysteriously got transferred to the other Jacksonville feilds car dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First mile warranty

I have first mile warranty. Let me be clear, they haven't fixed anything yet as I just bought the car and haven't had any issues yet. I purchased the warranty from the stealership when I got the car but from looking them up online it looks like you can buy them direct. When I called the warranty company to confirm the difference between the gold plus and platinum versions of the warranty, they stated the platinum version covers both the stabilitrack and the top sensors. Hopefully I will never find out.

Today i purchased the GM PP (protection Policy) major coverage plan.
My original warranty was to expire August 15, 2015.
At first i went to my local cadillac dealer that services all three of my vehicles and i didn't have much luck.
they sort of gave a don't give a damn attitude and offered me "the Mechanics" bumper to bumper warranty for 60 month 60,000 mile for $2,581.00 plus 6% sale tax or $2,741.00. which is about $550.00 a year

Well today i thought i would go to another GM dealer...a Chevrolet dealer.
Never bought the vehicle from them and as a matter of fact it was my first time in the dealership.
i asked for the financial person and she greeted me with a smile.
ended up i walked out with a GM PP major policy that covers everything except wearable parts like brakes, rotors, oil changes,etc.
Policy cost me $1,750.00 for a 36,000 mile (thats all GM offers on aftermarket policies) and 30,000 miles. could have got up to 36/60,000 miles but since i only put less than 5,000 miles a year on my 2009 XLR why pay for something I'm not going to use.
so as it stands i can put up to 10,000 a year on my vehicle which i doubt i will do.

after the 36 months, if i still have the vehicle i can reup it for another 36 months and for what ever milage i want, of course the more milage the higher the cost.
and the policy is transferrable to a new owner , can be cancelled at any time with refund or can be extended at any time during the policy period.

anyway i have peace of mind for $1,750 for three more years and i am ok with that.

Good move Boilmaker, I have the same plan, used it once but I am happy to have it.

That's great! I'm guessing with my 2005, I'm out of luck for buying one of these? Anyone know?

I purchased mine through my credit union. I purchased a 84 month-100,000 mile platinum package. Which states it covers absolutely everything except wearable items ie. pads,clutches,tires, and body panels. 100 dollar deductible. Only stipulation was had to be purchased before the ten yr anniversary of delivery. You have a 05 better check. I bought mine with a month to spare now it's covered till 2021. Believe it cost 2100 bucks. Haven't had to use yet. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back