Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Shift Cable end just broke

Hawk58

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
Hi XLR fans. I was backing my car out of the drive way and low and behold as I started to shift into Drive, the cable let go. With the car stuck in reverse, I maneuvered it back into the driveway, shut it off and set the parking brake as I had to get to work and had no time to waste. Fearing the worst, I let the car sit till I had more time to investigate. Today I jacked up the rear end and found the cable had disengaged from the transmission shift lever due to deterioration of the inner plastic bushing on the cable end. I remember someone already finding a fix to this if the cable had not broken by just replacing the inner bushing. I went to BushingFix.com today and ordered the repair kits for both ends. Plus a spare set. By the way both kits are on sale currently almost half price. As many have suggested on the blog, recommend you get the two kits and throw them in you glove box to be ready when this happens to you. The transmission end kit can be installed quickly without taking anything apart as long as you can get the rear of the car jacked up. I also ordered a spare shift cable from GM to have on hand when the original breaks. No telling when GM will discontinue the cable like they already have done on the rear wheel bearings. Really glad this whole event didn't happen away from home in the middle of some parking lot as it has for some members.

You stated that you can make the repair with the rear jacked up... approximately how high off the ground is the rear end of the car for you to get to the cable? James

James,

About 10-12" just high enough to crawl under as rexster mentioned. This is how easy the fix is minus maneuvering around the exhaust pipe.
Here is a link to the procedure. YouTube

Just fixed mine, rear bushing was completely gone. The hardest part is getting a jack under the car, sitting outside my gate, in gravel. I needed a new low profile floor jack anyway, haha. FWIW, the bushing installs in under a minute and really tightens up the throws on the shifter. Thanks for this thread, saved my bacon!

John B.

i highly recommend everyone buy one of these little kits and keep it in the car .Even if you cannot do the repair yourself you may be able to get a shop to install the part if you break down and have it with you.

With all the tech that went into the production of these cars why could they not used a sealed ball bearing connection, the rubber type bushing is bound to disintegrate over time especally with heat (exhaust, outside temp) and while i'm on a rant GM has contractors to supply all the parts why do they insist on not allowing them to sell after market? Head lights along with many trim related items if you do not intend to sell or stock then allow others to. Just really pisses me off.

Just fixed mine, rear bushing was completely gone. The hardest part is getting a jack under the car, sitting outside my gate, in gravel. I needed a new low profile floor jack anyway, haha. FWIW, the bushing installs in under a minute and really tightens up the throws on the shifter. Thanks for this thread, saved my bacon!

John B.
I tried to adjust mine just to fat to get under and have room to work. Had my Harbor Frieght as high as it would go and still not enough room. acually thought of buying one of the quick jacks but my wife told me she would have hit the ceiling over the cost alread complaining about the expendatures. ( might sneak one in at a later date) So having it towed to the XLR tech and let him do it.

With all the tech that went into the production of these cars why could they not used a sealed ball bearing connection, the rubber type bushing is bound to disintegrate over time especally with heat (exhaust, outside temp) and while i'm on a rant GM has contractors to supply all the parts why do they insist on not allowing them to sell after market? Head lights along with many trim related items if you do not intend to sell or stock then allow others to. Just really pisses me off.
Welcome to XLR ownership. Everything you've ranted about has been done before, ad infinitum.
Those bushings have been used on just about every auto out there, foreign and domestic for years. Nothing new

They could most likely upgrade a car for 3-400$ during production that would last twice as long. Then they would not make all the profit on selling parts. Cars that have a large enough base to make aftermarket parts either better than oem for the same price or as good as for 1/2 the price. Thats why i like bmw and mercedes. the same companies that make parts for oem sell them direct for as long as the market buys them.

Welcome to XLR ownership. Everything you've ranted about has been done before, ad infinitum.
Those bushings have been used on just about every auto out there, foreign and domestic for years. Nothing new
Just goes to show buy new or forget it, I just might try mickeytee suggestion on go foreign

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom